What was your first ever gig?

Jim
Spotify Legend

Festival season is finally here and there are a lot of us who've already packed our tents, wellies, boots and raided the nearest supermarket for beer!

To get us more in the mood (than we already are) I want to know...

For me, it was Iron Maiden ๐Ÿค˜

I was lucky enough to grow up in a house hold full of classic rock, but I wanted something more + I was a rebel ๐Ÿ˜‰ I loved guitars but just wanted something with a bit more punch. I then heard... 

spotify:track:2JS1iE5A5RHvUPH5Zl9jlF:small     ... and my life instantly changed.

I was 16 when I first saw them live - barely fresh faced โ˜บ๏ธ I'll never forget how excited and nervous I was in the queue to the door. I was alone, young and surrounded by crowds of metal-heads. It sounds intimidating but I felt so comfortable and at home.

The show was electric and I knew I couldn't have seen a better band as my first gig. I was about 6 rows from the front. Surrounded by thousands of bodies covered in sweat, beer and all of which, like me, were headbanging and singing their hearts out.

To this days I still get chills when I hear Fear of the Dark and remember the soaring chorus of the crowd.

I've subsequently seen them numerous times since and they still leave me with the same feeling ๐Ÿ’š

10 Replies

Re: What was your first ever gig?

Fa-bi-oh
Regular

Wow! 

That's a good one. I can't remember but I think I was 24 years old and I saw Ladytron, one of my favorite bands at that time. I was alone too and I've met some people there.

At home we did not listen to electronic-type groups, only me and my sisters but not all the entire time.

Now the band has stopped producing and touring, but I'm still waiting for a new album. Sweet memory... 

Thanks a lot!

Fabio

@Jim wrote:

Festival season is finally here and there are a lot of us who've already packed our tents, wellies, boots and raided the nearest supermarket for beer!

I was lucky enough to grow up in a house hold full of classic rock, but I wanted something more + I was a rebel ๐Ÿ˜‰ I loved guitars but just wanted something with a bit more punch. I then heard... 

spotify:track:2JS1iE5A5RHvUPH5Zl9jlF:small     ... and my life instantly changed.

I was 16 when I first saw them live - barely fresh faced โ˜บ๏ธ I'll never forget how excited and nervous I was in the queue to the door. I was alone, young and surrounded by crowds of metal-heads. It sounds intimidating but I felt so comfortable and at home. 

The show was electric and I knew I couldn't have seen a better band as my first gig. I was about 6 rows from the front. Surrounded by thousands of bodies covered in sweat, beer and all of which, like me, were headbanging and singing their hearts out. 

To this days I still get chills when I hear Fear of the Dark and remember the soaring chorus of the crowd.

I've subsequently seen them numerous times since and they still leave me with the same feeling ๐Ÿ’š

@Jim wrote:

brian_mansfield
Community Legend

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 10.03.02 AM.pngNewspaper blurb for my first concert!

I have two answers, because I'm not sure which one counts!

When I was 11, Bachman-Turner Overdrive played an outdoor gig at the local speedway with Wet Willie and Elvin Bishop. My dad wasn't keen on the whole rock-concert thing, but since it was an outdoor show, he agreed to take me to where I could at least hear it. So he parked his pickup truck under a tree in the parking lot, and we sat and listened to the show together. There was a fence with a gap in it, so occasionally I would peer through it and see a glimpse of the stage.

Is that my first gig, since I heard the music but didn't actually buy a ticket and go inside?

If not, flash forward a couple years to Electric Light Orchestra's tour for Out of the Blue, famous for having a stage shaped like a spaceship that opened up to reveal the band. Unfortunately, our local arena wasn't big enough to accommodate the full stage. So we didn't get the spaceship, but we did get the green lasers!

iamandyhill
Community Legend

The first ever gig I saw was Greenday on an arena tour for thier Warning album:

https://open.spotify.com/track/0ue0gFLwvXd8qZIPg35Qiu

Whilst we were sat up in the nosebleeds, fearing falling down on to the stage whilst we bopped around like crazy teenagers (you can work out how old I am from there...) it was an amazing gig with them playing all the hits, having been a bit too young to see them for Dookie, Insomniac or Nimrod.

It was an era of pop-punk which I fully embraced. That year I went on to watch a few big hitters of that scene, A, Lit, Alkine Trio, The Offspring, Sum 41 and Weezer.

Good times.

stig2009
Roadie

Blur at the s.e.c.c glasgow 1996 with the super furry animals as support 

it was the days of songs like song 2 and beetlebum

those were the days 

BenitoKCM
Roadie

The first ever gig I saw was The Cure in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1987.

Searching the web, I found the setlist:

The Cure
Mainset:
shake dog shake
piggy in the mirror
play for today
a strange day
primary
kyoto song
charlotte sometimes
inbetween days
the walk
a night like this
push
one hundred years
a forest
sinking
Encore 1:
close to me
let's go to bed
Encore 2:
boys don't cry
10.15 saturday night
killing an arab

And the ticket:

1987-03-18_buenos-aires

Rock Star 13
Rock Star 13
My first ever gig that I saw was Muse in my hometown Jakarta, Indonesia in 2007.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0lw68yx3MhKflWFqCsGkIs
rossi1911Rock Star 13
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

musicoflola
Roadie

My first show was Ben Folds when he was touring as a solo act. It was amazing! Super inspiring. 

LionScale
Roadie

Technically my first concert was Smashmouth when they came to the state fair but I was only 8 and don't remember it; so I'm going to list FIDLAR as my first actual gig. It was at the Marquis Theater in Denver, and to this day I've never been to a rowdier show. Also probably the hottest concert I've ever been to. It was a great first concert in my opinion, and it really set a standard for the other shows I would eventually attend. It is up there in my list of favorite concerts, not just because it was my first, but because of how energetic the crowd and band was. I've missed them every other time they've come through town, but maybe 2017 is the year I see them again! They have gotten a little bit more popular since I last saw them so I think it would be fun to experience them at a larger venue 

spotify:track:5bdH3N24qAon3U5V86fT8T:small

PilotAC
Community Legend

Great thread this is!

Being very much a metalhead since I was a kid (~8 years old maybe?), my first concert may seem quite unexpected.

It was Twenty One Pilots in Belfast at the start of 2014. I had started really getting into them in mid-late 2013 and for my 15th birthday my parents bought me tickets to see them live in Belfast! Since I live on the Isle of Man it's hard to see any noteworthy shows, and it's very expensive to travel off-island to see said shows, so I was overjoyed that I was able to go!

The venue was tiny as it was before they became the chart-toppers they are today, capacity was around 250 people, and it was full to the brim. I queued up a couple of hours early and managed to stand right at the barrier. The venue was set out so that the stage was within arms reach from the people at the front, so I managed to hold Tyler Joseph's hand as he sang which needless to say made me go crazy!

After the show the band came out for pictures, but as I walked up to them I was so nervous I couldn't think of anything to say to them! And I also look awkward as hell in the picture I got but I'm not bothered really.

18786_1114664488553804_427094717481677329_n.jpgLittle awkward baby-faced me in the middle!

I haven't been to a show since then, but I still listen to Twenty One Pilots occasionally, and am going to Bravalla this summer to see a hell of a lot more bands! (most excited for SOAD, Baroness and Skindred!)

SUGGESTED POSTS