Who is "Mister Roll"?

Who is "Mister Roll"?

DanLikesMusic

I'm mystified and intrigued. An artist by the name of "Mister Roll" has a number of solo piano albums on Spotify, but I can find nothing about this person/compilation/computergeneratedaudiotrack online.

Any help would be appreciated. Knowing the identity of this "artist" will make my life at least .025% happier.

8 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Who is "Mister Roll"?

hj97

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelly_Roll_Morton

this seems to be Mister Roll! Seems to match up with his ragtime/jazz style.

Highlighted

Mee-guel

I too am in love and, as you say, mystified by Mister Roll. Breathtaking piano playing but dare I call it...inhuman?! Listen to some of "his" recordings and ask yourself, are fingers really capable of such dexterous runs? If so it makes the discovery of the identity of these virtuosic hands all the more pertinent and even necessary (to me at least). Jelly Roll Morton has been dead for over 75 years so I strongly suspect it is not him. If it was, why wouldn't he receive a more direct accreditation as opposed to this mysterious pseudonym "Mister Roll".

I've often thought that the name itself might be a clue - Mister Roll. Could this be a reference to old player pianos which operated without human hands utilizing what is called a piano roll...just a thought. Now that's the extent of my speculation and detective work and I hope to someday solve the mystery, but until that day, whether man or machine, I will continue to thoroughly enjoy the music of Mister Roll.

My favorite piece in the Spotify catalog is probably " I Wonder if You Still Care for Me", it's absolutely beautiful and really elevates me to a place I like to be. As another aside, his song titles are often quite poetic and lovely, it's refreshing. That's all I got! We'll solve this yet

Mister Roll...pleae verify that you are not a robot

Highlighted

AbbyRaphael31

I suspect it is, as you say, old-fashioned piano rolls. I like it, too.

Highlighted

merinaw

Mister Roll has recently been removed from Spotify and my heart is breaking. Who are you Mister Roll? Are you a person. or an algorithm designed to create piano melodies that touch my heart? How can I hear you again? Please help...

Highlighted

Please Return Mister Roll's albums!

BaronVonTook
Casual Listener

Hello: See below for letter from distraught daughter. Does anyone know where else we can listen to the mesmerizing music of Mister Roll?

IMG_6552.JPG
Highlighted

Elizabeth37

I have been scouring the internet trying to find anywhere to listen to Mister Roll’s piano pieces and I can’t find them! It’s so weird since that rarely happens anymore. 😞

Highlighted

ellakenyon
Casual Listener

Has there been any update? Is there anyway of contacting 'him' through Spotify? I need to find who this person is - it's killing me not knowing!!

Mister Roll reveal yourself! 

Highlighted

BaronVonTook
Casual Listener
Tidal seems to have all of the Mister Roll albums
SUGGESTED POSTS