Why We Should All Be Paying for Spotify!

Why We Should All Be Paying for Spotify!

vickiixm
Regular

Spotify has come under a lot of scruitiny recently, with people like Taylor Swift removing her songs because of people not paying and accessing music for free. Every person that doesn't pay for spotify is ruining the music industry. I have made a podcast and spoke to Pulled Apart by Horses, Sky, and Soundcheque to work against music piracy! Please listen and comment your thoughts on this! You can find it at http://mhm.hud.ac.uk/MusicRadioHud/node/578

12 Replies

Re: Why We Should All Be Paying for Spotify!

meesterexx
Music Fan

Well, that's a nice sentiment and all, but until Spotify starts listening to it's users, here's 70 pages of why we shouldn't be paying for Spotify and why some of us who are paying (and have been paying since they hit the US are about to stop):

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Announcements/We-re-updating-Spotify-for-desktop-with-fully...

SubzeroSC
Roadie

You might think its that simple "Simply make all people using Spotify to add a paid subscription". It sounds easy but what made Spotify what it is and the its number of users was the core idea of Spotify (It has free option for everyone). Unfortunately I don't see how Spotify could change this, its in their core business model which is why some competitors have not supported free version of their service (Google Music, Beats etc,) from the start.

If they remove the free option of Spotify they will lose most of they non subscribed users, the people who would prefer to go pirate music rather than pay a subscription. The only thing that keeps such people is the free option, not the quality of the service or anything else and the way you could make money of such people is with adds.

This is my opinion on the matter.

If you like using the "Your Music" feature have in mind that you are LIMITED to 10 000 tracks. If you want this to be fixed vote for this post

AutumnStarlight
Roadie

To put it simply, Everything costs money and nothing is free. If everything was free businesses wouldn't be able survive, They'd lose money so fast they would have to close eventually. Even Spotify's "Free" option isn't free, you have commercials and ads that help pay for it.

I gladly pay for my subscription because as a musician myself I respect other artists and when someone downloads a song for free they are really stealing someone's hard earned money. Granted these multi billion dollar artists have a lot of money but even still, writing a song, coming up with an album is hard work. It isn't as simple as "Oh hey, I'm going to write a song and be done with it right away" Doesn't work like that, I have heard some songs take months to write, in fact "The Riddle" by Five For Fighting took two and a half years to write.

That's my opinion why we should pay for Spotify.

Have a great day!

Princess Autumn Starlight

TheCatsPajamas
Roadie

I too am a music artist, however my view is slightly different. I think the fact that Spotify is rather flexible (in that you can enjoy music for „free" - it only costs you the minute or so in adverts ever so often or you can pay a very reasonable amount per month and get a few perks along with it) is a helpful tool. If I release a record and allow access to it via tools like Spotify I may reach a wider audience *and* fans that myself and my band a;ready have will have access to it regardless of their ability to pay for it - and (in theory, mind you) if they like my record well enough they just may go ahead and buy the hard copy or downloadable from my site. People unfamiliar with my work have a chance to hear it before making a commitment to it with money they could have well spent on something they enjoyed more. People familiar with my work can feel out the record and determine if they still want to fund my musical endeavours or not by buying my record and coming to a few shows. I don't feel like people are out to screw us as artists with the ability to hear and download music for free. I'm not denying that there are people who do just exactly that but I think that our industry has changed in such a way that we can make work to our advantage. People can enjoy our music and save a few pence to come to the shows and buy some merch. They can share links to our tracks and records to let their friends know about *insert groovy artist or band here* all over the social media and get more people interested in coming to shows and getting merch. It has its drawbacks - but for every 1 person who just wants to get records for free on a torrent site or programs similar to Spotify, and nevermind that we are trying to make a living through our art - there are 10 people who are interested enough to help us out by purchasing things. (My apologies if I'm long winded or not making much sense - I'm severely under-caffeinated :) )

Slip
Into the bath
Into the grey
Hating yourself so much it hurts
Wake
Up from a nap
Wish you were brave
But you're not that kind of person

My last.fm profile page: http://last.fm/user/Sekhmet9

Volcanz

@TheCatPajamas-That was a sound logical arguement on why Spotify should be paid for. Although I was already convinced before in my own way, I can defininetly agree with and emphasize with your disposition.

BRITTNEYBRENNE1
Casual Listener

a couple of months ago, I saw an ad for spotify. It was like get 3 months for 99 cents. so I did that. I didn't think I would love spotify as much as I did. but I do. Being able to pick any song you want, ad free music during radio, listening to it offline, playing full ablums and playlists is amazing. I haven't paid for music off itunes in a long time. While spotify doesn't have ever single song you could want it comes pretty close. and you absoulty have to a certain song why not buy it and add it to local files? Today I was figuring out my subscrition plan and I didn't have premium I really noticed the difference. Spotify is great, espically if you are a college student. The discount make its that much better! 

TopAce
Casual Listener

I surely will not pay for a premium membership!

Why?

'Cause a lot of my favourite music got deleted the last weeks, not complete artists but single Albums (like the first two albums from Blind Guardian, or all Albums from Manowar since 1996).

Funny thing is, that its not music-rights-dependent, since other streamservices like deezer still have those albums from Blind Guardian for example!

vickiixm
Regular

Hi,

Thank you for your comment! 

Artists choose whether to share their music on Spotify, and the main reason for taking it off the service is usually the money! 

vickiixm
Regular

I definitely think it is worth paying for the service, and really great to be helping the music industry at the same time! 

SUGGESTED POSTS