Words That Stick: Those Lyrics We Just Can't Shake!

Highlighted

Words That Stick: Those Lyrics We Just Can't Shake!

Spotify
Spotify

We’ve all had to rewind a track to listen to a lyric that caught us off-guard. It might have been a deep lyric that hit you right in the heart, or just had a nice poetic flow. Some lyrics are designed specifically to stick in our heads and pound away at our brains whether we enjoy them or not.

Here’s some that stand out for me:

“It's better to burn out, than to fade away” - Neil Young- My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue)

spotify:track:6VltRkmJbCTqgKrTHk4Ulw:small

This is a good example of a lyric becoming more popular than the song that houses it. Famously, this was the last line in Kurt Cobain’s suicide letter. It also rubbed John Lennon the wrong way back in the 80’s as he was against the idea of glamorizing the early deaths of rockstars. Neil Young responded that the lyric was aimed more at the spirit of rock’n’roll as a whole and not the individual icons.

“Dead in the middle of Little Italy, little did we know
That we riddled two middlemen who didn't do diddly” - Big Pun - Twinz (Deep Cover ‘98)

spotify:track:3XgD0hnZDTuVCKWR6K4icP:small

I mean, come on. This one speaks for itself. The flow always amazes me. The track is decent, but this lyric takes it over the top.

What are some of the lyrics that’ve stuck with you? 🙂

5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Words That Stick: Those Lyrics We Just Can't Shake!

Nufane
Casual Listener

Pretty much this whole song, but specifically the lines, "You were not right, you were just righteous." "They had eyes like a backwards sunset; a golden curve" and later in the song "Her eyes were described as deep set cigarette burns."

Biffy Clyro - Friends and Enemies

Highlighted

yourninatchka
Roadie

...and you may ask yourself, well, how did i get here? 

spotify:track:1Tr4K5MU5XYE44umXGDndd

Highlighted

LionScale
Roadie

"Part of its nature, the other part seems darker. Don't know what to blame it on. Try to control my behavior but this is so much harder when I'm far away from home."

spotify:track:2HtRQoycUasDCpCsteWiwr:small

Highlighted

user-removed
Not applicable

I listen to soooo many artists who write the most insanely beautiful/heartbreaking lyrics. That's how you know they're keepers 🙂

"I hate this car that I'm driving, there's no hiding for me. I'm forced to deal with what I feel, there is no distraction to mask what is real."

spotify:track:5cbpoIu3YjoOwbBDGUEp3P

"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky."

spotify:track:1pKmfhwbZvsyYUP2eOGdw5

"I was already missing before the night I left.  Just me and my shadow and all of my regrets. Who am I, who am I when I don't know myself?"

spotify:track:33Lfnu1uBuJIidzHRFyTxL

Ugh, pure art. Music is my therapy, as you can tell! 

Highlighted

user-removed
Not applicable
SUGGESTED POSTS