Your Most Influential Albums

Highlighted

Re: Your Most Influential Albums

Roadie

Here is the first album I ever heard by Keiko Matsui, who quickly became my favorite jazz artist. When I was still buying CDs, I got nearly everything by her at the time. Although she gets lumped with smooth jazz, her music is more third stream, combining jazz, classical, new age, and Japanese music. I discovered her in the early 90s, and unlike the various smooth jazz artists I was also listening to back then, I haven't actually grown tired of her music.

spotify:album:5EdJKibtZmHRCENXQogqIv

Highlighted

Music Fan

My first band. The Police were responsible for kickstarting my love for music. Fond memories of discovering stereo details in my headphones as a young teen.

police cassette.jpg
Highlighted

Music Fan

Lol...Suppose this would help to share the experience.

spotify:album:2ccrabRMmY1gECUdyqblP2

Highlighted

Casual Listener

My Chemical Romance overall. but lately it's been their 4th album

Highlighted

Community Legend

I love the Asia album too. My most influential album is Pink Floyd's The Wall https://open.spotify.com/album/0gI6zLhhO1X5hH8uHzZ97s . It was the first time, aged 11, I'd heard an album that had a concept with sound effects and where one song ran into another. It genuinely gave me a completely new perspective on what music and art could be.

Highlighted

Roadie

The Police are great. I once saw an interview with Keiko Matsui, mentioned above, in which she was asked who her favorite musician was, and she said Sting. Sticking to the 80's for now, here is the first album I ever heard from ABC. Although I hadn't liked much of the pop music I had heard during the 70's, I loved 80's music, and although I can no longer recall which albums I had first, this one was one of my very favorite albums, and it helped set the stage for me to enjoy lots of 80's pop music.

spotify:album:1vkql5n4Vb9j5XG3yxOU66

Roadie

I had college roommates who were into Pink Floyd, but I never got into them myself. However, I gained more appreciation for them after some of my favorite artists did cover albums of their music.

Vitamin String Quartet, which specializes in string quartet covers of popular music, has put out this:

spotify:album:5Oh0IRAycoLI3bVV9msz6p

Billy Sherwood, who has been a member of my favorite progressive rock group, Yes, brought together various musicians, including members of Yes and other progressive rock groups, for these two albums:

spotify:album:2F1mSVg9IteXO6qBsHGSU0

spotify:album:6273GngZvwpRWgg99GsESp

Finally, my very favorite singer, Mary Fahl, the former lead singer of October Project, put out this album:

spotify:album:2Uq4np4ypumOY6pkYbHcRs

Highlighted

Roadie

Although I was (still am) a huge fan of The Wall, it was The Final Cut by Pink Floyd that taught me that music stretches far beyond radio... 

spotify:album:5ChHkKb5VhZe0pgQRsvpek

SUGGESTED POSTS