Your Most Influential Albums

Highlighted

Your Most Influential Albums

fduniho
Roadie

If you listen to a lot of music, it can sometimes be hard to pick favorites. So I'm asking for something a little bit easier. Share albums that have influenced your tastes by making you interested in a new genre or artist. And you don't have to list them all at once or limit how many you pick. You can post one or two now and come back later to post more. And when you do, please explain the influence this album had on your tastes.

I'll start with Asia's debut album. This is the album that sparked my interest in progressive rock. Asia was a "supergroup" comprised of members of other prominent progressive rock groups, and my interest in Asia led me to find out about the other groups its members had been in, such as Yes, King Crimson, U.K., the Buggles, and Emerson, Lake & Palmer. It also led me to related and similar groups, such as Genesis, Renaissance, Rush, GTR, GPS, and more.

spotify:album:7D0XjViIK0Z16HCxbRDrnm

17 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Your Most Influential Albums

crematedman
Community Legend

@fduniho great topic! and a hard one!

the most recent taste-changing artist I can think of is Son Lux - they opened up a whole range of classical fusion artists to me ^_^

spotify:album:6J4PA7Leqyt8dwOmFC80ZJ

Highlighted

LionScale
Roadie

I was never a fan of punk music until I listened to Wavves (his album King of the Beach in particular) and I got into surf punk. Since then I've really gained an appreciation for different types of punk music and also the punk community

spotify:album:7Mn0aXVHjaoFZPKLssqI9d

Highlighted

user-removed
Not applicable

This album opened up new waters in music for me. Up until this album I was a fan of Hip-Hop/R&B, but one day (thanks to Kanye's song "Bittersweet Poetry" ) I discovered John Mayer and this was the first album I've tried. Ever since then, my music taste turned upside down. I'm listening to John Mayer, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Neil Young and to sum it up my taste went from 90% Hip-Hop/R&B to 90% Rock/Folk/Country. I have even decided to learn to play guitar. 4 years later, I have a couple of guitars, trained voice and I can call myself a musician.

spotify:album:6S0BIiWtnqU0PtumXMpin0

Highlighted

jmplayer
Music Fan

I have a wide range of album I love, so let me pick some of them:

Anathema - Weather Systems

My favorite album of all-time; it is probably the most life-affirming album I've heard yet

spotify:album:2f2NEtvt132ETAdS7Xqudk

Falling Up

The first Christian artist I really liked

spotify:album:69elhB8vKD5bcKCtOV5DEV

Nas - Illmatic

This album showed me the best of hip hop, and thus is the one album that got me into hip hop

spotify:album:3kEtdS2pH6hKcMU9Wioob1

Swans - Soundtracks for the Blind

The first really disturbing and 'noisy' album I enjoyed

spotify:album:5p1OhVATxIf3LI8eHCM1vh

System of a Down - Toxicity

This is the band that got me into music in general

spotify:album:6jWde94ln40epKIQCd8XUh

Tom Waits - Bone Machine

spotify:album:5blxyZRgkA735vO40p56MA

Tom Waits showed me that you don't necessarily have to be a 'good' singer to make excellent music

Highlighted

crematedman
Community Legend

@LionScale outstanding album - surf punk at its best!

@jmplayer great choices - illmatic was a game changer for sure

Highlighted

fduniho
Roadie

This album was my introduction to Russian pop music, and the duo who performed this album quickly became one my most scobbled artists. If you check my Last.fm profile, you will see them on the front page. For one thing, I really like energetic pop music in Russian, especially with female singers. I do not understand Russian, but I enjoy the sound of the language. I also like the format of this group, which involves two singers each singing separate parts, and I enjoy the English versions of their songs as much as the Russian versions. I have since found more Russian pop artists,  mostly with Russian names I cannot recall, though I still haven't found other pop duos like t.A.T.u. in any language.

spotify:album:3POPZmnytUfhD5s08jS326

Although you might think that t.A.T.u. is completely unrelated to the band I posted an album from at the beginning of this thread, it turns out that there is a connection between them. That connection is a short-lived new wave duo from the late 70s/early 80s called The Buggles. A few songs on this album were produced by Trevor Horn of the Buggles, and Geoff Downes of the Buggles was a founding member of Asia. The Buggles are probably best know for having the first video on MTV, Video Killed the Radio Star.

Highlighted

Djberries
Divorce by JPNSGRLS, Pure Herione by Lorde, and Buried Alive by Logic were all important albums for me.
Highlighted

PeeJay_
Roadie

Jamie XX - In Colour. 

In my opinion, the best electronic album released in years. And definitely one of my main inspirations when I create tracks myself.

spotify:album:0AVPusXNzK1jWwefBiPJ5I

Highlighted

skateboard34
Roadie

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

I've liked rap and hip-hop since middle school but I only recently went back through Eminem's full discography.  Every track on this album is incredible, pushing the limits of the genre through quick flow and controversial lyricism.  

spotify:album:6t7956yu5zYf5A829XRiHC

Was my response helpful?
Please like it and accept it as a solution!
SUGGESTED POSTS