Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Am i only one who things 2012 was the best year on music so far for 10's ?

Am i only one who things 2012 was the best year on music so far for 10's ?

I just throwbacked to 2012 hits and i realized that music been so different since that time. What do u think was 2012 better than today? Or wait let me ask that, which year is the best since 2010?

8 Replies

@PacerOmer You should share some songs from that year to show what you mean!

I remember this legendary album came out in 2012!

spotify:album:4r7s9K1QIm3jtwSMKgzlAO

I totally agree with you. 2012 was a fantastic year for music! These are some of my favorites from that year:

spotify:album:2cRMVS71c49Pf5SnIlJX3U

spotify:album:392p3shh2jkxUxY2VHvlH8

spotify:album:3C2MFZ2iHotUQOSBzdSvM7

spotify:album:7ppypgQppMf3mkRbZxYIFM

These are some of my favorite albums of all time!

@crematedman You are soo right!

I've created a list for 2012 as i remember. And Breezeblocks is one of my all time fav!!

Hope you like the list 🙂

https://open.spotify.com/user/11100586586/playlist/1J6VX2xyiZpJzPZN2bI9cE

@PacerOmer nice one!

it was to be honest with you, not only in your spectrum but alot of music genre's were booming that year and offered sounds that arent even given anymore. I feel the the back thought of the world ending made everyone give it their all, and made them create some of the best pieces ever. Sadly its true, people should be giving it their all any day but we all know its different from working on something before a "world ends" 

Alright, this depends where to look at.

Never mind the... very old thread. : )

I listen to mostly lesser-known artists doing pretty wicked stuff, mostly in electronic music genres. Labels like Methlab and Renraku, Deep Dark & Dangerous. I have yet to listen to Dome of Doom releases properly...

I need to listen to Deru!

In that front I don't see any pattern of regression after 2012. Quite the contrary.

Music-making tools have become so accessible so that everyone with enough curiosity can install a DAW and some plugins and try having a go... even good recording interfaces are pretty cheap.

This is resulting in pretty wild content, but it's all (in vast majority) underground, because.. I don't know.

Some of my favourite albums released post-2012 include Psychic by Darkside, Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) by Steven Wilson, Datachi's latest 2 albums, anything Amon has released so far, SOL by Eskmo, Deliverance by Culprate, the list goes on.

When I look at the mainstream scenes, I do see there has been a pretty major regression in various ways.

I remember when I heard chart music on radio 10 years ago, I heard quite a variety from sad-sad ballads to "I kissed a girl and I liked it!" to Dirty Cash 2009 edit. There were lots of house artists, there was a large scene for very upbeat silly hiphop, quite a lot of remixes of then-popular pop songs. What I'm trying to say here is that each artist had their own sound.

What seems to be happening now is some genre is brought up somehow, like mumble rap or trap, and other producers go for that sound as well, and all you seem to hear is pop rap when you turn on the radio.

Something seems to have changed in production as well. I don't remember that vocals were so close before. The graininess of the vocals has been emphasized on. When you were listening to the singer on stage before, then now you are the singer's mic. Without that filter in between. : )

Also.. all sounds and instruments feel clinically polished. I have noticed this in kpop a lot (but not only there, it's in many songs!) and while it is most likely a genre-distinguishing feature, it sucks the life out of the sounds for me.

I don't listen to radio or chart music much (at all, honestly), so I might have a slightly limited view on things... I don't dare to say anything about lyrics because I haven't listened to anything mainstream often enough.

(and every EDM-sounding track is dubstep, kids.)

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

yeah, it happens alot in kpop, but sadly that was the last last good year besides 2015 of a huge amount of good and catchy music, even the producers became very successful. But current day, kpop has died off so much, and khiphop has been the only thing to actually produce some good things, theres bad examples everywhere but I do notice the difference that you said.

Thing is in 2012 there was alot of kpop groups who produced their own material and directed alot of their own stuff, which resulted in them being more in control of their music, but riding off that success was abunch of companies trying to replicate sounds and styles but ultimately they were just manufacturing everything which eventually did take its toll, to a kid they'll support any pop artists, but to someone like me who can tell the difference between an artist vs a group that basically covers someone elses written material / dance choreography / beat. but I get it, groups nowadays dont get that freedom, which is why the khiphop scene is booming, no filter, no limits, sounds real and straight from the heart. But again korea also has its own pointless mumble rappers

Suggested posts