Announcements

Do you think it hurts new artists by showing potential fans how many listeners an artist has?

Do you think it hurts new artists by showing potential fans how many listeners an artist has?

Yan0_D3al
Composer

I believe that most fans and crowds have to start by following new artist do to a trend. Not due to the art and creativity of the artist. They first must see friends or tv or the internet trending a certain aspect before giving The upcoming artist a listen.  What is your aspect on the situation? 

3 Replies

Re: Do you think it hurts new artists by showing potential fans how many listeners an artist has?

Sebasty
Rock Star 18
Rock Star 18

Hey @Yan0_D3al

You're asking about the 'monthly listeners' every artist page on Spotify has, right?

It's hard to say from my point of view, I don't really care about how new the artist is or how little amount of active listeners an artist has that I'm about to listen. Spotify doesn't really make it obvious to me... 😉

It's true that most people follow what their friends are listening to / recommending, they hear new stuff on TV & radio, but often these artists already have a pretty solid base of listeners.

There are a few tastemaker shows on radio (at least here one(!) radio channel has these), where the DJ has been scouring whatever sources they have and presents a mix of little known material to their listeners. They may be biased as well, but more likely fresher than the stuff TV and most of radio channels offer.

The problem I have with this is I don't really follow any trends. I am fully up to date with my own circle of new music, but I am just like "who?" when it comes to new trending music that some of my friends end up swooning to. 🙂

SebastyRock Star 18
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Re: Do you think it hurts new artists by showing potential fans how many listeners an artist has?

Yan0_D3al
Composer

@Sebasty       That is correct the monthly listeners that every page on Spotify has. 

I also agree about what you are saying about already having a solid base of their own followers. 

However, this new age of artist are using all platforms of internet for promotion and marketing. Starting freshly to find a following of their own, with out  any major label backing their music.  

I believe that when/while they are promoting there self and their product to the masses they are all ready being judged before the music is even being heard due to the amount of fans they have especially if they are not yet apart of the majority. 

I believe that only the artist or band should be able to see the listeners and followers on the Spotify artist page to help the artist focus on gaining fans and building his/her/their music legacy. 

Sebasty
Rock Star 18
Rock Star 18

@Yan0_D3al

Well true, plenty of people do look at numbers and form their opinion based on that before giving the artist a listen. I know people who only listen to the freshest and most popular music that's available, they will likely never take a listen to the very new artists unless they are backed by a huge label and promoted heavily.

But that's something that'll never change. 🙂

My opinion is that the artist will be checked out by those who are interested in. Internet is a wonderful place for self-marketing, but you have to do it well to hit the right ground.

I don't really find the popularity markers should be removed from artist pages. Spotify isn't really, you know, a marketplace (you can't promote yourself that much on this platform only). None of the streaming platforms are, really. To gain more listeners you must make yourself known and visible on other platforms, such as social media or this Community. Do it right and you'll get many people checking out your stuff. Even getting your stuff to Spotify curator playlists is done through other platforms.

Without self-promotion the artist might get some random searchers on their profile, but people won't know to look for the artist in question. The popularity tag doesn't even matter at this point.

🙂

SebastyRock Star 18
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
SUGGESTED POSTS