Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Folk/Americana] Recommend a band with <500 followers

[Folk/Americana] Recommend a band with <500 followers

The Folk/ Americana genre has been pushed into the spotlight lately with the success of artists such as Hiss Golden Messenger, Hurray For The Riff Raff, Lost In The Trees,  Strand of Oaks, Bowerbirds (to name just a few). 

In this thread you can share your favorite Folk/ Americana artists with less than 500 Spotify followers. 

Tyler Butler has only 87 followers today but his somber folks songs will hopefully garner him some more attention soon. I recommend for fans of Evening Hymns, Sun Kil MoonDamien Jurado

spotify:track:1XkWCLeTH7Fifiy75IHWWK

To add a Spotify Play Button:

1. Right click on the desired song. 

2. Click 'Copy Spotify URI'. 

3. Go to your Community post.  

4. Click 'Insert/edit link button'

5. Paste URI. 

6. Click Post.     

46 Replies

I think I've mentioned them before but - Harpeth Rising - deserve another mention.

A trio of women. A violin, a banjo, a cello & beautiful vocals.

A blend of Folk, Newgrass, Rock and Classical.

Only 75 followers with a new release on the way in August.

C'mon people! (i am not affliated in any way to the band, just a big fan):smileyhappy:

spotify:track:7eUh5eD5jcig2JHH3c4jQJ

Hello !

Danny Schmidt was born in 1970 and grew up in Austin, Texas. He started playing guitar at the age of 12. At age 20, he discovered that he liked the blues after tracking the music of Jimi Hendrix back through Muddy Waters, Mississippi John Hurt, and Lightning Hopkins all the way to old country gospel and spirituals. He bought an acoustic guitar and eventually discovered the likes of Dylan, Neil Young, Tom Waits, and John Prine, from whom he learned about songwriting. ( wikipedia )
Here is a small demonstration of his talent

""

Hello !

Terence Martin ( 2005 - 2011 ) ( 86 Followers )

Terence Martin, a gifted New York-based singer-songwriter and published poet, has lost his battle with pancreatic cancer. Martin, who succumbed to the disease on Nov. 7 2011, was born in London, England, grew up in Los Angeles, California, and moved east in 1997 to become part of New York’s thriving acoustic music scene. He recorded and released six albums independently and was working on another one at the time of his passing. ( http://acousticmusicscene.com )

""

hello

Brian Wheat, Groggy Darlin' - Where You Have Been ( 2007 ) ( 28 followers )

Having recorded his debut album in a rustic barn converted sound studio outside the once prosperous city of Buffalo, NY, it is no surprise that upon first listen one can be lazily ushered into the landscape of a bygone era.

Often being compared to the distinctive songwriting and ethereal moods of M.Ward, Sondre Lerche, and Iron and Wine, Brian Wheat creates space and depth with his minimalistic sound while splashing drops of country, folk and summer porch-swing rock. Certainly, he offers us a breath of ease in an increasingly cluttered and chaotic world. ( bandcamp )

""

I hope you don't mind if I bend the rules a little but The Honey Dewdrops only have 503 followers

and their new record Tangled Country released a few weeks ago is quite good.

I'm liking these suggestions so far! I'll drop one in that technically breaks the rules, but he only has 871 followers, so I'm not far off. Plus it's really old.

Washington Phillips (1892-1939) was a preacher and one of the earliest musicians performing what we now consider gospel. The most striking feature of his work is the musical accompaniment, which is performed on some sort of hammered string instrument, perhaps a modified zither. Either way, fascinating stuff. I particularly recommend 'Lift Him Up That's All' and 'I Had a Good Father and Mother' (the latter is covered on Palace Brother's fantastic debut album)

@blake  Hello !

I thought to be the only one of the community to love this music
Thanks!

Hello !

Old Lost John ( 31 Followers )

My name is Tomas. I used to be a woodsman and a horse-keeper. These days I live in Malmo, Sweden, delivering newspapers in the morning hours and writing songs in the evening. Sometimes I record an album, and sometimes I go on tour. Old Lost John is the name of my musical vehicle.
http://www.oldlostjohn.com

""

Hello !

Estil C. Ball ( 70 Followers )

Estil Cortez Ball (1913–1978) was an American singer-songwriter, fingerstyle guitarist, and country gospel and folk musician from Rugby in Grayson County, Virginia.

From the mid-1950s until 1975, Ball performed with his wife Orna and their Friendly Gospel Singers in churches and on the radio, especially on WKSK (AM) in West Jefferson, North Carolina and WBOB (AM) in Galax, Virginia. Ball's first recordings were made by John A. Lomax on behalf of the Library of Congress at the 1937 Galax Fiddler's Convention in Galax, Virginia, where E.C. performed with his Rugby Gully Jumpers string band (named after Paul Warmack's Gully Jumpers). Lomax recorded the string band and several duets by E.C. and Orna. John's son Alan Lomax recorded Ball three years later, in 1941, at E.C.'s home in Rugby, Virginia, and there again in 1959.

""

The Estil C. Ball suggestion is great! Thanks for pointing him out.

Hello !

Tyler Burkum ( 434 Followers )

Tyler Burkum began his professional career in 1997 as the lead guitarist for the band Audio Adrenaline. He was seventeen years old at the time and was working as a dishwasher at Northwestern College in St. Paul, Minnesot ( wikipedia )
A study in contrasts, smooth, organic vocals with a pop sensibility, offset by instrumentation and arrangement harkening a bygone era, the music of Tyler Burkum speaks to both new and old in one fresh breath. ( http://www.cdbaby.com )

""

Hello !

Two Dollar Bash ( 14 Followers )

Two Dollar Bash is a stylistically diverse acoustic country-rock band rooted in the folk-rock of Bob Dylan and the Band, as well as the country-folk of Townes Van Zandt and Emmylou Harris, not to mention some European influences, particularly the Celtic tradition. While based in Berlin, where they are affiliated with Canary Row Records, the bandmembers — Tony Rose (guitar, vocals), Matt de Harp (mandolin, harp, guitar, vocals), Mark Mulholland (banjo, mandola, guitar, vocals), and Joe Armstrong (guitar, bass, vocals) — are originally from elsewhere in Europe; namely, Scotland and France, and played together over the years in various formations before coming together as Two Dollar Bash in 2003

""

Hello !

Americana ? Hillbilly ? Old time .... Yes ( 1920's - 1930' s )

These artists necessarily less than 500 followers
They have one ... me

""

Hello !

Count This Penny ( 362 Followers )

Count This Penny is a singer-songwriter duo born in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. They have appeared on Garrison Keillor’s A Prairie Home Companion, were recently named one of Wisconsin's '10 Bands to Watch,' wrapped up 2014 with a national Communion tour, and were included on NPR's Austin 100 list during SXSW 2015.

http://countthispenny.com/

""

Hello !

Death To Anders ( 10 Followers )

Death to Anders are an American indie rock band formed in Los Angeles, California in 2006. Their lineup consists of Rob Danson (vocals and guitar), Rob Hume (bass and background vocals), and Robert Smith (drums).
Often compared to Pavement, early Modest Mouse and Sonic Youth but defying hard classification, Death to Anders shift dramatically between hypnotic melodies and raging dissonance as they mix intelligent, story-driven rock with quirky Gothic Americana ( Wikipedia )

""

Hello !

Munly ( 353 Followers )

Jay Munly (also credited as Munly and Munly Jay Munly) is a banjo player, guitarist, singer, and songwriter based in Denver, Colorado. He has played a significant role in the development of the "Denver Sound", music that mixes elements of country, gothic, folk and gospel. He is a member of Slim Cessna's Auto Club, Scott Kelly and The Road Home, and Denver Broncos UK as well as the leader of his own band, Munly and the Lee Lewis Harlots.
Munly's music has ties to alt-country and Gothic-Americana. Common themes include religion, violence and dysfunctional relationships; often they are intertwined. His increasingly narrative songs often feature banjo and, since the recording of Jimmy Carter Syndrome, strings. ( Wikipedia )

""

""

Hello !

Kenny Knight - Crossroads ( 58 Followers )

Unadorned folk-flavored roots rock at its most refined, giving a good listen to Crossroads in the current era would be just enough to transport an audience on a nostalgia-bound ride through the breezy Americana stylings of an era defined by bands and soloists like the Grateful Dead and Jackson Browne. With a gentle means of wrapping his vocal around a lyric, Kenny Knight maintains an ace storyteller’s perspective on each song of his that he handles on the record, deftly displaying a myriad of emotions within a singular, vibrant verse. Where production value falls in due part thanks to the advancements of 21st century technology, the heart invested into the album’s construction does not. Whether intentional or not, Knight defines ‘80s folk and country songwriting and performance with brooding subtlety, calculatingly, though warmly, taking the cold grips of lost dreams and found reality by the reins and running with them. ( http://www.popmatters.com/ )

""

Hi there

My own band Bound by Law has 24 followers.

spotify:track:6RqsfsEQrP2ZpBzoG6wiLd

Thanks for listening.

Hello !

Blackie's Cage - 35 To Laredo ( 2013 )

Americana Denmark

Blackie's Cage, Duo Copenhagen ( Ole key and Malthe Koch )

( 11 Followers )

""

Suggested posts