Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How To Get Playlist Follwers On Spotify

How To Get Playlist Follwers On Spotify

I would like to address something from the post of this same name. Part of the post, that I have addressed, is below.

My points will be in red.

3. Update Your Playlists. 

Update your playlists frequently to keep the music fresh. It's a good idea to include your new additions at the top of the playlist as well. How will this get followers on your playlist, if people who aren't following it, yet, won't see the new songs, anyway? Since the people, who see your playlist for the first time, have never seen it before, it won't matter if the new songs are at the top or bottom. Also, not all playlists are meant to be updated; some are set, once the playlist owner or "curator" feels that it's complete.

Most curators we spoke to agreed that songs should be added a few at a time--not renewing all songs at once. Of course this depends on the theme. If it's the 'Best Indie tracks of the last 30 days" then renewing them all once a month makes perfect sense. Taking from my point, above, this would not apply to normal playlists, but ones that are themed like the one in the previous sentence in black.

4. Promote Your Playlists

A great place to promote your curated playlist is the Spotify Community Playlist Exchange. It's best if you include a description for your playlists so users know what theme/ mood inspired you. The Spotify Community has become a place where we all just want to promote our own playlist, which is halfway good, but even I don't look at a lot of other people's playlists, for a few reasons, on being that I'm not into a lot of the styles, but another is the main problem with the community. That is it has become so overloaded with posting of playlists. There's got to be a better way.

You can also create your own website or blog dedicated to promoting your playlists. Of course you can also promote it across social media channels such as Tumblr, Twitter, or Facebook. And remember, it takes work and time to create a fan base. Don't be discouraged if it's a slow start. Even though I have put a lot of work into many of my playlists, that's too much work to build up a fan base for playlists. I don't even get on social media, except for this, anymore.

"Twitter is another good option to promote your playlist," said Carlos. If you include undiscovered bands/artists in your playlists, Twitter could be a great platform to connect with them. They usually appreciate your consideration and maybe they will RT you, so your playlist will arrive also to their followers."

Jonathan (aka @Gidyin) also encourages promoting unknown artists. "I have devised promoting artists with monthly listeners in the region of 0-2000. I have always been a bit of a music hunter and love finding an artist on here that is not very well known. If I find an artist in this bracket I now add them to one of my more popular playlists and move the track near the start. This has two benefits, it raises the awareness of the emerging artist which they love and gives you an opportunity to feature on their discovered on page. Extra exposure is always good.

5. Follow Other Great Playlists

To gain followers you should also be a follower yourself. Seek out new bands, get to know playlists that have lots of followers, and study what it takes to be a curator. How are people going to know that you followed their playlists, when Spotify hasn't created the feature for that? If they did create it, maybe this suggestion of following other great playlists would work, but until then, it makes no difference and no sense.

I have a better idea of how to get my playlists out there, and will use that method.

Follow me

5 Replies

You need to take into account that the original post is from several years back, and some of those points may or may not work anymore.

But I agree, building up followers on playlists is very hard work.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey, Osornios

Points 3 and 5 still wouldn't make a difference, even back then, because people who haven't seen the playlist won't see the updates. People following others playlist won't get their playlists or profiles noticed any more, than before  even back then. I agree with the 4th point, but yeah it's difficult and a little bit a waste of time to spend the time and effort for playlists to be followed in the high hundreds and into the thousands, like some people's playlists are. I just check out some of your playlists, though. Would you tell me more about your "Classical Masters" playlist?

Follow me

I wasn't satisfied with any Classical music playlist out there, made by Spotify, or by somebody else, so I decided to create my own.

Basically is a Classical 101, with the most famous pieces by different composers. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

Cool. I was thinking about following it, but wanted to know more about it, first. Thanks. Since you like Classical music, I had a question for you. Do you like "Seinfeld"? I have several classical pieces on it, because they were on the show. You should stop by my profile and check it out. I noticed that you like Country music, too. I have a Country playlist, too, but it doesn't have as much as yours. I'm not into a lot of the newer stuff. Also, I have a certain theme about it. It's interesting that you listen to Country music, to me, because I'm under the impression that you don't live in the United States. Maybe I'm wrong, but you have some playlist or playlists in Spanish. Where do you live, or where are you from?

Follow me

I'm from Northern Mexico, so I've listened Country music pretty much all my life, and love it. Mainstream stuff though, the kind that's usually played in the radio.

I never watched Seinfeld, but I'm gonna listen to your playlist. TV shows usually have good soundtracks. It's a great way to discover good tunes.

osorniosSpotify Star

Suggested posts