Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Identify this 90's earworm

Identify this 90's earworm

(original post removed, attempting again)

There's been a 90's alt/punk song fragment stuck in my head for almost 25 years, and I'm hoping someone here can help me find it. Kinda like that guy in the Reply_All podcast last spring, but alas, where he could remember every detail of his unidentified earworm, I can't remember a single lyric.

I heard this a couple times on my local Adult Alternative station, Boston's 92.5 The River sometime in 1996-97. Guitar/bass/drums instrumentation, surf-punk, no ska or latin or hiphop influences, not the usual emo or radio-ready guitar rock, but not too far the other way into Primus territory.

Starts off with a spoken/chanted/rapped intro, not unlike Cake's "The Distance." I think the lyrics are also car or racing related. 

As the (male) vocalist builds in intensity, an insistent 16th-note ratatatat drum beat gets louder and louder.

We dive into a 4-bar chorus on a G-chord, descending to F, then E, then D, then into a killer power chord riff C-G-Bb-C-G-Bb etc...

That's all I got. I recreated it with a simple web-based music generator. (My previous post contained a link to that, and I assume that's what got it pulled.)

I've spent years scouring listicles of Best Lost 90's Songs, I've found similar sounding artists and pored through their catalogs. I've waded through So. Many. Playlists. Nada. Zilch. Bupkiss.

It might be an older song, maybe early 90s. It might be an obscure band's poorly-marketed major label stab at glory. It might be a major band's not-so-glorious followup to their breakthrough. I just don't know, and I'm usually not stumped by this stuff, and it's DRIVING ME CRAZY.

Any thoughts?

0 Replies

Suggested posts