Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Marty Robbins - Ain't I Right isnt on spotify

Marty Robbins - Ain't I Right isnt on spotify

just realized the song isn't anywhere on Spotify. well, the Marty Robbins version that is there are other versions but I like the Marty Robbins version better and I'm just curious why it isn't on Spotify

8 Replies

• It appears Spotify has been overrun by communists, just like most tech company leadership these days. Marty was right.

You can see here they used to have it up...I probably won't be renewing my Premium account

Screenshot_20190306-093259_Google.jpg

It is up on spotify in an album but the album is 90% unavailable songs, including Ain't I Right.

Hi, Speedysparrow55

I'm from the near future of 2020, and I discovered this song from searching for songs against the left, because it has got pretty bad, around the world. A lot of the lyrics in that song are pretty relevant to how extreme it has become. I really enjoyed the song, but I only found it available from a group called "Jane Archer and the Reactionaries". I made a playlist that sort of sums up 2020, so far. I didn't add the song, because some of the lyrics were era specific, but it's still pretty cool. I hope you enjoy the playlist.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4muwrmRDaPYpGlxLdQzTln?si=-auwk-7pSMS59IMtbSUtcg&utm_source=copy-l...

P.S.,

You may want to invest in what's called an N-95 mask and plenty of toilet paper. You probably shouldn't share this playlist, until the first two songs are released, so you don't mess with the timeline. On second thought, 2020 is already SCR3WED. Share it as much as you want.

Follow me

Hey! I was rather bummed to find out that Ain't It Right was gone too. It would make no sense for Spotify to delist a bunch of 50 year old anti-communist songs for culture wars reasons, so perhaps something occurred with the rights?

In fact, in trying to figure this out, I found a bit of a mystery... Ain't I right has seemingly been lost to time. It was really hard to collect anything on it. In fact, I couldn't even seem to find what album or single the song was released in; it seemed that the song hadn't even been released at all. Of course, there's the synonymous YouTube rips, which all have this weird 'CDS' logo with the radioactive symbol. In fact, the only actual release I could find it on was 'ATOMIC PLATTERS: Cold War Music from the Golden Age of Homeland Security,' a compilation album released in 2005, consisting of similar songs from the era. It's actually pretty cool, it's released by a company(?)/project(?) called CONELRAD (named after the emergency broadcast station of the time, of course), which is trying to document Cold War Pop Culture(?) and apparently declassified some letters and training videos from the Eisenhower Era. Kinda cool. Unfortunately, it seems like it's been dead since 2005, when their trademark expired, though I'd like to send them a letter if I could find some way to contact them. 

This is the end of that lead, though, I'll definitely research these guys a little more and backup this site to the internet archive, if it hasn't already been.

However, I found a page on AlphaHistory.com (a site seemingly dedicated to cold war history) which claims that 'Robbins reportedly wanted Ain’t I Right released as a single but studio bosses refused, declaring it too provocative and far too political.' This coincides with Marty's Wikipedia page which says 'Two of his patriotic political singles, Ain't I Right and My Own Native Land were rejected by Columbia Records as too controversial' 

Fair enough- but here's where it gets interesting, according to Marty's Wiki page, 'After Columbia Records rejected the songs, Robbins' band member Bobby Sykes recorded the songs for Sims Records under the name Johnny Freedom.'

Ah-ha!

According to Wikipedia, Sims Records was a country music record label in the 1950s and 1960s, started up by an old touring manager of T. Texas Tyler called Russell Sims. However, despite a financial grant from Fabor Robinson (Abott Records) he was unable to get any traction (outside of a deal with the Kelly Brothers) and eventually mothballed the company in 1968. However, in 1999 Sims re-opened his label with a multi-disc set of Bob Wills music. Unfortunately, it seems Sims records died with the now likely deceased Russel Sims, since their site is now down - archived. And their label list gone since the closure of Yahoo's Geocities.

But, there still is a chance to see whether they still hold the rights! I present to you... Global Dog Productions! I found it cited in the Wikipedia document, it seems to be some sort of discography index site headed by some wonderful internet person. It holds records of the discography of tons of record labels including... Sims Records! And if you take a look, thar she blows, Johnny Freedom and all!

Thar she blows.PNG
Now, remember how I said he signed a deal with the Kelly Brothers? This was for two songs, "If That Will Really Hold You," and "How Can True Love Be This Way." If you look for these songs, you won't be able to find anything outside of people selling old records from their original Sims release - in fact, this is consistent with everything on the list. Outside of that box deal in 1999, Russell's been silent. 

So here's what I think, stranger. I rather hinted at it earlier, but put together the puzzle pieces. We have a Marty Robbins song that was deemed too controversial by management that's sold off by a separate band member under a fake name to a failed record label; that's already tough as rights procurement goes. But here's the kicker, Russell Sims looks really old in his site picture and judging by his recent radio silence, I think that outside of negotiating handing the rights to CONELRAD, he died before being able to distribute the song. The company's clearly in limbo, or under control of some disinterested relative following his death, meaning the rights for Ain't I Right and other Sims Records songs are likely unobtainable by Spotify and will remain as such until their eventual entrance into the public domain.

Nonetheless, this doesn't stop the Spotify's algorithm from being able to scour YouTube Music for song names to promote their service, no matter whether they own the song or not (as shown by Grindehausen's screenshot), eventually hitting what we now know as the record rip of that synonymous Youtube channel (the radioactive logo was printed on the EP, duh, though I'm still unsure what CDS stands for), much like how it & Genius found ATOMIC PLATTERS

There you go, stranger, the tale of why an obscure Marty Robbins song, that's technically not released by him, is nowhere to be found but a couple YouTube videos. A tale of the bureaucracy of our copyright system, dozens of old sites, failed projects and a mysterious wannabe records company owner. 

However, there is a phone number provided on the Russell Sim's website, I will now make it my goal to try and get in touch with whoever owns Sims Records (if anyone) as well as that CONELRAD site. I'll try and keep you updated if possible. O7

Sorry for any grammatical errors, it's now 2 in the morning - I've been up embarrassingly long researching this.

Thanks man! Nice sleuthing.

Thank you! I have exams in two weeks, so I'm afraid my search for the minds behind Conelrad and Sims has hit the backburner :/. That being said, I'm glad you enjoyed it, this stuff's fun to sift through.

Suggested posts