Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music Progressions/General likings of songs

Music Progressions/General likings of songs

This is a chat for the general topic of songs you enjoy, whether for lyrical stand point or a chord progression that just makes your ears tingle. All forms of music welcome

9 Replies

1. Thanks for this post. I just joined the community and this was the first post I saw. I thought to myself "Perfect!". I really like, no, LOVE, this new song by Steam Powered Giraffe titled "Hot on the Trail". I am a huge fan of all of their music, but this song literally gives me goosebumps! I've been trying to tell as many people as I are willing to listen! I can't wait to see what music this brings me! My taste in music has been called "Kind of all over the place." lol

I also suggest these more less known bands: Fox and Bones, and Hellbound Glory. 

Great topic! 🙂

I just recently came across Zomby's debut album titled "Where Were You In '92?" which is homage to early 90's rave scene and it was also produced on equipment of that era - Akai sampler and Atari st computer.

The entire album has this pleasing atmosphere of the 90's rave scene with all the breakbeat, jungle, dubstep and hardcore elements, but one song off that I cannot stop listening.

This one:

spotify:track:1SZ5Q4PdUbdgm8Mwl6KOmq:small 

Starting with that reverberant eery male vocal sample, and hearing (or more like feeling) the song rolling in gives such an indescribably good feeling.

Absolutely adore the usage of the trumpet-like sounds and vocal samples.

Ohh yes 🤤

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Will definitely check this out !

Just went to a rave and have been exploring general dance music, will def check out 

As for as the chord progression and melody goes, one cannot go wrong with Elliott Smith. Bottle Up and Explode starts with: B- Cdim - C#m -B/D# - E - Bbdim - A - E F#. 

Independence Day has one of best melodies in the entire pop history. Also, take a look at Last Call!

He is also famous with drawing unexcepted chords, and transcation out of no where, for example in the chorus of his most beloved songs (Between the Bars) he just goes : F (okay) to G(okay) to Fm7/G#(....). 

This is the intro of what's supposed to be 'a story telling, folk song': C6 C7 Amb5 Ab C9 B5 Fmaj7 Am Em Fmaj7 C C# Fmaj7 C6/9 C C/G C.  It's memory lane, and it's about the time he spend in a mental hospital. 

I'm such a fun so don't take me so seriously. But the man is extraordinary.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe not much for the chord progressions, but John Frusciante's solo work has the most awesome melodies and song-writing I've ever heard in S/S genre. He (like Elliott) plays a lot of filler melodies between chords. Time Tonight, Scratches etc, you can't go wrong with him either. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay... lastly, take a look at the tallest man in the world. His use of finger-picking, always alternating along with open tunings has an overworldy feel.

Thank you for this expounded post ! I will definitely give a listen and see if I can feel the same 🙂

Just wanted to share my song to you all since you are discussing Progressive house.

I hope you guys like this song! 

I have a new one on the 22nd coming ! 🙂

appreciate the follows

@koriimusic IG

https://open.spotify.com/track/5dBEelWTXu8qrax75h9WFK

I like the chord changes in these two songs by the Natural-Philosophers With Attitude. I think these types of changes are quite rare in EDM but work quite well.

https://open.spotify.com/track/2gVGGJlvAsXhviKv8dic2q?si=xv99ydPnQy6Z-NQEDbT6VA

https://open.spotify.com/track/1i8kGeG3A3MNiPR1SyFwwH?si=Hw7m2BaVQTWA8kkLmLk5yA

Lol, I wish i had perfect pitch or at least some knowledge of musical terminology
but I don't
not yet, at least

Anyway, I have this (increasingly intense) appreciation of Subp Yao and particularly his new album called Infra Aqual. 2020 has two AOTY's for me - one is Figueroa and the other is this.

For instance this track:

spotify:track:05zZLDTBSnWfJcrTnUA86G:small 

has so many things I adore - the subtle intro, the undefeated mean vocal, everything segmented, awesome sound design with the equally mean growling bass.
AND THAT BEAT! It drives so well with the vocal.

Perhaps my biggest favourites on this album are Reelwitu and Wax and Wane. Both such incredible bangers. Reelwitu is a more flowing tune that grows in intensity, and then goes soft and quiet for a moment before hitting you far stronger than before... I always get weak legs from that. Holy crap.

spotify:track:5o3qQq3Uzf7OvygwiUhotP:small 
I loveI love

Wax and Wane is definitely one that's not even bothering to build momentum before it hits me. Begins with a subtle melody and percussion and then I get this incredible beat with so much going on. The echoed female(?) vocal slices add the sense of "Oh god YES" into the song 😄

spotify:track:3nh9xxXpNAmA25HYa3EzQY:small 

They both offer some time to relax (from the banger) and enjoy the flowing beatless sound design at the end of the song.

Can I just say how much I love the ending part of the ending track... 💗 It's such a soft thing, the melody and the male vocal!

spotify:track:0VxnUDA8Bxhr34zfMckNZx:small 

The album was undoubtedly constructed with DJs on mind - lots of cool parts to add to your set. Man if I was at a party and the DJ dropped something off this release... 💀

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts