Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Share your favorite types of guitar amplifiers to hear in music

Share your favorite types of guitar amplifiers to hear in music

I recently re-listened to a great open studio session by one of my favorite bands, The Re-Stoned, dedicated to the band’s founder and guitarist Ilya Lipkin becoming an official artist of the Orange Amps brand:

https://open.spotify.com/album/6r1X1aShoPeQ8cpJNGGHM0?si=O6mV1i9KQ7C_FmTN87579g

I quite enjoy the fuzzy, distorted tones that characterize the guitar playing on this album, especially on the tracks “Revealed Gravitation” and “Northern Lights.” And while I’m not completely sure which type of Orange amplifier Ilya Lipkin used in this open studio session, according to Orange Amps’ website, he currently uses a Pedal Baby power amp with PPC412 and PPC212 cabinets on tour or at home/in the studio.

This is just one example that comes to mind for me; and although the types of amplifiers that guitarists use in their music represent just one of many factors that can influence how the music sounds, I thought that it could be interesting to see whether anyone else knows the brand or model of amplifiers that the guitarists in their favorite bands use.

Or perhaps you’re a musician yourself, and you enjoy using a certain type or brand of amplifier when performing or recording. Feel free to share!

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
2 Replies

This is a great question. I know very little about the equipment used in some of my favorite songs. 

Assuming that the information I found is accurate, it sounds like Vox AC30 amps were used consistently by The Beatles, The Stones, David Bowie, amongst others. 

I can’t be sure that they were used in the examples below, but I love the sound of the guitars on these tracks. 

“Rebel Rebel” has one of the most memorable and catchy guitar riffs I’ve ever heard. It’s hard for me to describe it technically since I’m not a musician, but the word that comes to mind is “dirty.” It’s just raw, simplistic beauty. I imagine that this song is responsible for thousands of kids becoming musicians. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/2EC9IJj7g0mN1Q5VrZkiYY?si=KVgIgXOFS-mGsA50F0JJgw

“She Said She Said” is one of my favorite Beatles tracks. Harrison’s guitar is wonderfully piercing and clanks along perfectly with Ringo’s inventive drumming, making such a rich and layered sound.  I know The Beatles don’t need any more accolades or insights, but this song is proof that they were simply on another level. Let us not discount the impact that George Martin had as well. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/3VSuWxZM6x6V3ig5nYtikL?si=yCQEcae0Qk-L6CcvJYxbvA&context=spotify%3Ase...

Thanks for sharing, @user-removed!

I don’t know very much about the equipment used in my favorite songs, either; but I’m glad that you appreciate this topic, and it’s great to learn about how Vox AC30 amps have been used in recordings by artists such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and David Bowie.

Thank you as well for sharing these examples of songs where this type of amplifier is likely to have been used; upon listening to “Rebel Rebel” and “She Said She Said,” I agree that the guitar tones sound great, adding quite well to the overall sound of these tracks.

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts