Songs That Have Been 'Written' About You

Songs That Have Been 'Written' About You

PopAndTalk
Roadie

Have you ever came across a song that has been 'written' about you?

What I mean by this is my Dad always had a nickname for me which I thought was 'little cireco' and never really thought any more about it until more recently after he had passed away.

I realised that it must have been 'Little Sir Echo' so I googled it and came across this song by Bing Crosby...

spotify:track:65ULNtK9xsjb3e1Qshmrbg

I can really identify with the lyrics (especially thinking back to how I was when I was a kid) and wonder if that's the reason he called me it? It makes me feel happy and sad both at the same time.

So, what about you? Are you the 'subject of a song' in one way or another?

Steve...

Come Talk To Me

Twitter l Website

10 Replies

Re: Songs That Have Been 'Written' About You

brian_mansfield
Community Legend

This isn't quite the same thing, but it's as close as I could come:

Shortly after this song came out, I met the songwriter. (We knew of each other but had never met.) He told me a record review I had written a couple years prior had been the inspiration for this song (and there are a couple of phrases from my review in the song, including its title).

Does that count?

Across the Pontchartrain

PopAndTalk
Roadie
Wow! That totally counts, how cool is that. What was the song?

brian_mansfield
Community Legend

It's the one that was in the post, Donnie Fritts' "Across the Pontchartrain." Nothing famous, but it was written by two people whose work I admire a lot.

spotify:track:2NGdb3GWefbbCsPSyb5dof:small

PopAndTalk
Roadie
Cool. Didn't see at as replying via email. Will check it our for sure as soon as I can. Thanks for sharing 🙂

brian_mansfield
Community Legend

Ah, that makes sense. I can see how that would be a problem. I've done almost all my posting from my laptop, so I didn't even think of that. I'll keep that in mind when I write future posts.

tklingebie
Casual Listener

That's very interesting. It's one of my favorite songs actually. Nothing beats Donnie Fritts and Tony Joe White. But:  Being German I never quite got the first line of the second verse which ends with "........ and Ooh Poo Pah Doo". Can you help out? And which phrases did Donnie "lend" from your review?

WaterOxMgmt
Roadie

Yes this song was a love letter to me, and feel blessed everytime I hear it.

Sounds like Alyssa is whispering this beauty into your ears. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/3cONO31IDFHUm6zdTo5dN9

brian_mansfield
Community Legend

I can see how that part of the "Across the Pontchartrain" lyric might get lost in translation, @tklingebie. The line references three classic New Orleans rhythm & blues records from the 1960s: Lee Dorsey's "Holy Cow," Ernie K-Doe's "Mother-in-Law," and Jessie Hill's "Ooh Poo Pa Doo (Part 1)." I'm linking to them here so you can hear them!

"Holy Cow," Lee Dorsey

"Mother-in-Law," Ernie K-Doe

"Ooh Poo Pa Doo (Part 1)," Jessie Hill

As far as the part of the lyric came from my review, the line "I can hear the distant thunder ... rumbling across the Pontchartrain" is almost a direct lift.

tklingebie
Casual Listener
Hey Brian, thank you so much. It was a long lasting riddle to me. You
solved it. Thanks that you bothered to answer me. All the best!
SUGGESTED POSTS