Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Submit: sublime bass!

Submit: sublime bass!

Hey 🙂

I suspect many of us have some songs with the low end that captivates them in one way or another.

For instance:
maybe the track features just such an awesome walking bassline that you can't help but wish to learn to play it yourself.

Or there's a track with bass going so deep and low you can feel it in your body, and its presence is only apparent with good speakers/headphones. Sometimes you may listen to a track for n-th time and just suddenly notice that surprising bass note that you didn't even notice before.

Or you're a sucker for bass that weaves, wobbles and warbles through space, going both deep but also massaging your eardrums and many parts of your brain.. as well as the rest of you when you happen to listen to that track on speakers.

Or perhaps you're into the filthiest and grimiest of all basslines?

Something else?

This thread is for all awesome bass, regardless of genre. 🙂
Submit your favourite bass songs 👀

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
7 Replies

Here are a few tracks where I enjoy the bass especially:

https://open.spotify.com/track/6lFQwXzCWt5PiAXNKwJzwL?si=LTeJYrYiSCCB2ZGHKtFwOg

The electric bass on this track is especially noticeable in the first 30 seconds, where it’s the only instrument playing, and has a very “clean” sound; you can also hear it beneath the distorted electric guitar throughout the rest of the track as well. Probably the reason why I like the bass (as well as the guitar) in this track has to do with the doomy, ominous-sounding riffs that they play as much as it does with the tone of the instruments. I also noticed that Dopelord posted a video on their Facebook page recently of someone playing this song on bass via the Rocksmith video game, with a score of 100%, which might be why this song comes to mind first when thinking of tracks with great bass.

https://open.spotify.com/track/5WBVhnnDi524EXR4lewDPm?si=YLcvmHzJRey-ObL5YFcpIQ

Similarly to the Dopelord track above, this song starts with the bass playing the first notes, and then the guitar soon joins to accompany it with single-note riffs before the wonderfully loud, fuzz-laden chords start (beneath which you can still hear the bass throughout the song). You can again hear the bass quite distinctly in the last 39 seconds of the track, at which point the bass and guitar once again play single notes. I really like the tone of the bass here, even though I don’t know what types of effects pedals are used; it has a sort of “dirty” tone, so maybe the overdrive was cranked on the bass amp, or a fuzz pedal or some other effect was used on it – I don’t know, I just think it sounds really nice throughout the track.

https://open.spotify.com/track/6qLgGLeawKyhMFJ848XtYD?si=LW9b6XFSQtilgbP2cLfH6g

I think I like the bass on this track mostly because of its tone, which sounds kind of like a wah-pedal was used, however I read online that the bassist (Al Cisneros) used a Mu-Tron III envelope filter on this track instead. (Cisneros is also in another band, with the drummer from Sleep, called OM; and I thought it would be good to mention that I think the bass sounds really good in that band as well – feel free to check out “On The Mountain At Dawn” from their Variations on a Theme album for full-on bass fuzz distortion!)

https://open.spotify.com/track/285prZkUr5NulKkAZb9hlN?si=YqrromtZSBCSXQBeu448fQ

I really like the riff that the bass initiates at the beginning of the song, just after the drums. This is probably my favorite High On Fire track, probably because of the bass introduction that draws me in and keeps me listening to the song every time I play it – though the guitarist, Matt Pike from Sleep, soon joins in with the same riff.

There are probably other tracks in my library where I like the bass especially as well, however these ones came to mind first upon reading your post.

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star

This is mine. I love drums and bass. Then I ran across this guy who is a bass with a wide vocal range. It turns out that he sings this and layers his voice as the bass line.  There are some drums and an organ at one point but everything else is his voice. I have a serious new appreciation for what constitutes a bass line.

https://open.spotify.com/track/62cuEyzBDkPj8dMgSuem09?si=x-X_xR0_Qj-hv5YfZfKNqg

I am so enamored by another track on his release, this one:

spotify:track:0MPcQ7UyPXmhggSx2Jp0NH:small 

Such a beautiful track, but holy crap when it swells..!!!! 😮

It was hard to hide that flushed state I had in lesson when I was listening to music whilst doing my task. 😄

Thank you for recommending this @Alma9, most grateful for this!

(I am yet to give others a proper listen)

SebastySpotify Star

I agree about Full Moon. It's electrifying. But then I love everything he is doing right now. What a voice.

Glad you enjoyed my offering.

This one is an interesting tune:

spotify:track:01PnESZ2hmtC2GeAv5zBWZ:small 

What is that low end? 😳 it sounds like there's a huge rumbling machine outside my house.

I also feel the need of having a proper 12'' sub now...

SebastySpotify Star

Slow motion by Slander and Bret James has this super warm, super smooth bass that just hits different compared to most of the songs that I've played on Spotify in my car ..

https://open.spotify.com/track/5Q4mP2MPgZelC7soOeeARX

Suggested posts