Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Weather/seasons and listening preferences

Weather/seasons and listening preferences

Does the weather or season impact your selection of music to play (besides listening to holiday music)? For example, do you listen to different music on a rainy vs. sunny day, or during the summer vs. winter? Feel free to share!

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
6 Replies

Hey,
My listening habits usually don't change because of the weather but there is one exception, when it rains I like to listen to "sad" music because it just feels better to be sad with rain.

I always find that my music taste changes significantly in the changing seasons.In the spring, I tend to listen to upbeat indie and pop songs. In the summer I tend to listen to upbeat rap, EDM, and pop songs. In the fall, I tend to listen to folk, chill indie and acoustic covers/songs. In the winter, I tend to listen to electronic pop/indie/lofi. 

Anyone else on the "sometimes I listen to cheery tracks and sometimes epic instrumentals when it's cloudy" camp?  😁 

Weather/seasons influence my listening choices but not as much as mood I guess. For example, if it's cloudy like today, I'll dependent on my mood to pick music. If I feel sad, I might listen to something upbeat to cheer me up or something instrumental like spotify:track:6jJwdMlFgTy1s5KeZNwVED to match my reflective mood. Sometimes, I'll start a playlist and leave Autoplay on, then as if by magic, I'll start feeling more cheered up with each new song. 

I know for sure though that summers I usually listen more heavily tracks that are dance/pop. So I guess, it's a mix of everything! 

KaterinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Honestly, it doesn't seem that my musical preferences change with seasons or weather. Completely detached from reality in that sense.

There may be more variety in daytime and nighttime listenings as I love listening to really good stuff at night on headphones.. Mostly Amon Tobin and music that doesn't translate well on speakers, such as El Heredero by Bolten M or Reid Willis' music.

SebastySpotify Star

Thanks for sharing, everyone!

Similarly to @Sebasty, I haven’t noticed any patterns with respect to the weather or seasons impacting my listening habits. However, I think this idea for Spotify to generate Your Fall Rewind, Your Winter Rewind, and Your Spring Rewind playlists (in addition to Your Summer Rewind) could be useful for identifying potential trends in listening habits for individual seasons.

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Yes, my listening preferences are mostly impacted by the weather and season!

In the Winter, I'm most likely miserable because it's cold, and in the Summer, I'll be miserable, too, as it's too warm for me. 

For example, if I listen to a cheery, spring/summer song, during the harsh, cold, winter, it'll make me more miserable, so I tend to listen to music at the right season/weather, or songs that don't really express seasons at all. 

Suggested posts