Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What do you think about listening to music like Olivia Rodrigo or Sanah by men?

What do you think about listening to music like Olivia Rodrigo or Sanah by men?

I mean the album "SOUR" by Olivia Rodrigo. I wrote this article because if I told my friends that I listen to Olivia Rodrigo, they laughed at me a little bit. I won't write the story that I have experienced, because that article isn't about it, but shortly this year was so hard for me. Then coming back to the question, is it okay to listen it by men? About Sanah, I know her songs are about poetry, but I mean songs that are like "Tęsknię sobie" ("I miss you" in English) or "Szary świat" ("Gray world" in English).

3 Replies

Hey @Reskim 

That's a good question of discussion. If I had control over this sort of thing, I'd erase all the social stigmas and prejudice, so people can listen to whatever they want.

I know plenty of men who listen to Taylor Swift, and Olivia Rodrigo doesn't seem too far off from that. I don't understand the reaction of your friends really, because I'm part of some furiously active music listener communities and no-one really cares to judge anyone based on what they listen to. A lot of male listeners loving female pop vocalists out there. 

For me my music taste is a private thing, and others do not have a say in this business. 🙂

Listening to Olivia Rodrigo doesn't make you any less ..you. Quite the contrary, and if you love what you're listening to, turn up the volume and enjoy it!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Great topic, @Reskim!

I agree with @Sebasty that demographics such as being a man shouldn't limit what music you enjoy listening to. And if your friends place judgment on you because of the music you like, I don’t think you should feel at all compelled to let their negative opinions discourage you from continuing to enjoy it.

Furthermore, I don't think your friends have any rationale to tell you that you shouldn’t like music by Olivia Rodrigo and Sanah (or any other artists you appreciate, for that matter). I'd argue that everyone’s music preferences are uniquely personal; and for this reason there isn't a justifiable reason that certain music should be excluded from entire listener demographics.

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I won't care what anybody else thinks about the music I listen to.  If they like it great, if they don't great.  Your friends (I don't know them) but I'd say that they are trying to shame you for what you like.  Never let anyone tell you what type of music you like.

Suggested posts