Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What's your most heretical music opinion?

What's your most heretical music opinion?

I follow the journalist Stevie Chick (MOJO/ The Guardian) and he asked a great question on Facebook: What's your most heretical music opinion? 

Stevie said "it seems to wind people up that I genuinely prefer Iggy's 1997 remix of Raw Power over the original Bowie production."

Okay here's mine: I prefer the Dixie Chick's cover of "landslide" to the Fleetwood Mac original. 

spotify:track:65nCVhtlWYUzNvcM1MYp4l:small

77 Replies

I don't know if it's really that heretical, but in my opinion, ANOHNI's version of 'Knocking on Heaven's Door' is 🙌🏼 and suits the lyrics way better than Guns N' Roses version.

@AnotherWaytoD

Never forget that "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" is an original song written by Bob Dylan for the soundtrack of the 1973 movie Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid.

spotify:track:6HSXNV0b4M4cLJ7ljgVVeh

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Oups. I thought so. I was miseld by my quick 'Knocking on Heaven's Door' google search and seeing Guns 'N Roses name all over the place. Thanks @Soundofus for the info.

Disturbed's version of Simon and Garfunkel's Sound of Silence is amazing. David Draiman's again are amazing. Such great vocal range. He made a version that is both emotional and gripping.

One of the best covers I have ever heard.

@meahtenoha ah you break my heart (I mean I can get down with the Dixie Chicks sometimes) but Stevie Nicks is my girl.  

For my heresy, I would say that I prefer Joan Jett & the Blackhearts version of Fun, Fun, Fun over the Beach Boys.  

spotify:track:2UVOE5RJFc3Pd9dMA9U6kv

Follow me

@artful_dodger59 wrote:

Disturbed's version of Simon and Garfunkel's Sound of Silence is amazing. David Draiman's again are amazing. Such great vocal range. He made a version that is both emotional and gripping.

One of the best covers I have ever heard.

When I first heard this cover on Disturbed's newest album, I couldn't believe it was them at first. They've managed to re-create a masterpiece in such an emotional way and yet still maintain the same ideation behind the original. I've never been a huge Disturbed fan myself, but a lot of songs on Immortalized resonate with me.

@klee1214 wrote:

@meahtenoha ah you break my heart (I mean I can get down with the Dixie Chicks sometimes) but Stevie Nicks is my girl.  

Don't worry @klee1214 I still love my Stevie. Have you seen this video of her warming up--it's gorgeous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPEhIoKeTg0

@meahtenoha OH MY that was beautiful! She kills it every time 🙂

Follow me

ok, we have a winner @artful_dodger59, that's the most heretic 🙂

Sorry @MartinStoichkov I don't agree and I will try to point out why. Regarding cover versions I think, that the best covers transform the original to something totally new. The artist applies his personal style to the cover (Metallica's version of Queen's "Stone cold crazy" comes to my mind) and the original song is translated to a different genre (The Cardigans cover Black Sabbath). The Limp Bizkit cover is very close to the original, the kind of guitar-arpeggios, the harmonies, they have just cut the last section of The Who's original and inserted a middle part with an annoying A-a-ay over the same guitar-part, which sounds ... funny, something I would not expect from a song about loneliness.

It's like "Let us cut the fast crazy part to make a proper Radio-ballad". The singer sounds like "I don't care about the lyrics, but let us copy Daltrey as good as possible and add some roughness to sound like a decent Rock-singer". At last they have added an also annoying Phaser-like sound in the background throughout the verse.

Hey, this was quite a rant, maybe because I am a big fan of The Who 🙂

@heartscore, yeah JayLB also mentioned about this. Basically, there's no comparing between "The Who" and "Limp Bizkit" but this song particularly I liked more, I can't say why, but just closer to my taste xD

Also, awesome rant, I don't quite like the a-a-a-y part also

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@Shake-a-Hoof introduced me to a cover of Bob Dylan's 'Lay, Lady, Lay' , much prefer it to the original and what's more controversial is it's an instrumental! Sorry Bob.......

@kirashi

Cher used Autotune as an artistic effect, which was fresh and groundbreaking. Unfortunately the audible autotune-effect became an annoying standard on vocals later. To be honest it's hard to believe, that somebody is not using it nowadays for inaudible corrections, because everybody uses it and the modern production-standards are calling for perfection in every detail. They correct everything, the intonation, the timing ...

BTW to hate Autotune as an audible effect is not heretic 🙂

Apologies if my lengthy post was confusing; I actually like Auto-Tune when used tastefully as an artistic effect for artists like Cher, Galantis, or Daft Punk. But I'm a heretic in the sense I'm still that guy in the group who corrects my friends when they talk about an amazing singer who's actually using Auto-Tune because they can't sing without it. 🙂

You hit the nail on the head though - the industry norm seems to call for pitch-perfect sequenced pop music because that's what people want now, which is totally fine. Everyone has a different musical preference; I guess I just miss the old days of imperfection and live improvisation without all the electronic perfection.

When do we get a thread where we all post playlists of cover songs that are better than the originals?

OK, looking for a good third rail to touch here ...

1.) Miley Cyrus is a great singer.
2.) Hank Williams had pretty much peaked artistically by the time he died.
3.) This world is not a better place for having John Lennon's "Imagine" in it.

"Limp Bizkit" ruined that song. I also heard a couple or more covers that they did. Same thing. How could you not like the version, by "The Who"?

Follow me

I agree, some remakes are only understood by the copy maker.

I don't really know his music, but I'm sure that I would hate it, but I saw your comment and immediately thought of this.

Follow me

George-I hate the Drake.jpg

I. can say alot of good remakes are studio versions and outshines the
concert live version. The song's intended art is understood with clarity.

I. can say alot of good remakes are studio versions and outshines the
concert live version. The song's intended art is understood with clarity.

Suggested posts