Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What's your most heretical music opinion?

What's your most heretical music opinion?

I follow the journalist Stevie Chick (MOJO/ The Guardian) and he asked a great question on Facebook: What's your most heretical music opinion? 

Stevie said "it seems to wind people up that I genuinely prefer Iggy's 1997 remix of Raw Power over the original Bowie production."

Okay here's mine: I prefer the Dixie Chick's cover of "landslide" to the Fleetwood Mac original. 

spotify:track:65nCVhtlWYUzNvcM1MYp4l:small

77 Replies

This is from my list, entitled, "Guilty Displeasures:  Stuff I don't like, either at all, or not as much as I should;"

Beach Boys, Wilco, Black Keys, Radiohead....and ugh, U2.

In my circle of friends this is blasphemy...except for U2...nobody really likes  them.

@swkennedy haha that's total blasphemy I love it.

Justin Bieber's Purpose (2015) album is kinda cool...

Even though I'm sort of into some of those Bands (U2 has a couple good songs but other than that I don't really like them), your comment is pretty funny. I have something that you would probably like, or dislike (the same as me). Hey, I just realized that I can add Taylor Swift to this playlist, now. You'll see why. Check it out. I'll have to add her, later.

https://open.spotify.com/user/madmanonwheels/playlist/72rt2Oq4FgGgHCytK2zuAq

Follow me

Pablo Honey is Radiohead's best album. I know, I know, chop me up and throw me to the wolves. 

I have to go back and re-listen to the albums now, and as a mature adult, I might change my mind, but as a youth, I truly loved the dark pop sounds on Pablo Honey and not so much the weirder, if arguably more creative, material on subsequent albums.

@swkennedy

I like U2, but not everything they have done. I adore their early material, which, in my opinion, culminated in the poetically fantastic 'Achtung Baby,' but after this, they had a real strange period. Save a couple of songs, I personally didn't care for much of their material throughout the 90s until the year 2000s' 'All That You Can't Leave Behind,' which showed them returning to some of their former musical and songwriting splendor.

I prefer the Mötley Crüe cover of anarchy in the U.K. More than the original by **bleep** pistols

https://open.spotify.com/track/546sm8A1PUpXsJkUyDMPSx

https://open.spotify.com/track/3LoDeIbiR12sAznmpNEmKA

I have two that come to mind:

Well first off,  I've honestly always felt that Janet Jackson was more talented than her brother Michael as a singer and a performer.    In fact, I greatly prefer her catalog of albums and songs to his.   I have always believed that Janet was the superior performer in every way.     I just wish she had been taken as seriously music-wise as Michael was. 

And secondly, I have always believed that Dolly Parton's original version of "I Will Always Love You" is superior to Whitney Houston's overwrought, overdone R&B version of the song from "The Bodyguard."  Though her vocals are stellar on the track, I prefer Dolly's subdued version with conveys longing, heartache and genuine pain in a way Whitney's version lacks. 

As for Limp Bizkit and their covers; I will personally never be able to forgive Fred Durst for destroying George Michael's classic song "Faith."      

@boidiva02

Completely agree with you that Dolly's original version of 'I Will Always Love You' is superior to Whitney's.

Dolly has such a unique tone, and she sings with a special softness and restraint that is not mirrored in the Whitney cover. Whitney turned 'I Will Always Love You' into a diva song; a song that is really about the voice more so than the emotion of the entire package; melody, lyrics, delivery. 

I respect Whitney Houston as a vocalist. She can belt out songs like few others can, and she keeps her notes true with a surprising range. I might be biased though, because songs that are all about 'the voice' are not my favorite in general.

Cheers!

...or destroying "Behind Blue Eyes, by "The Who". Fred Durst is good at acting, from what I've seen, but he should stick to his own songs , because he doesn't do well with covers. The same goes, for Ozzy. I love Ozzy's songs, but covers aren't right for him. I also agree that Dolly Parton's (the original) version, which could also be called "The version", is way better because of her voice, even though she isn't belting it out, and because of her emotion conveyed. It's like in "The Ride"- David Allen Coe, "...can you make folks feel what you feel, inside?". Whitney Houston's cover of "I Will Always Love You" is really popular, but what's popular isn't always right. It's overrated.

Follow me

There. I said it.

I usually disagree with people who say The Beatles are overrated, and I'll tell you why.

It would be like saying black and white televisions programs are overrated, because without them, we wouldn't have made the advances that enabled us to get to where we are today. You are cutting out the bottom of the staircase and expecting to fly.

For their time, The Beatles were innovative and were pioneers in rock music, some of the first of their kind. It isn't really fair to compare them to music that has been made since.

I agree with you, flypaperflowers.

Many of the bands and solo artists that you like would probably disagree with you, too, Jakedockterpdx. All of them have influences and in some way they probably all have been influenced, by "The Beatles", by the band that influenced them being influenced by "The Beatles". Ozzy is a fan of them, and more particularly, of Paul McCartney. He did a cover of theirs. So did Motley Crue, Aerosmith, et cetera. 

Follow me

Ok I think I am going to be killed on this one ... But it's just an opinion, and Please know, that I am NOT saying I don't like them....but my most heretical music opinion is...Drum Rolll..

I think that the Beattles are way too celebrated for what they really are. They were great musicians and composers, but they had contemporary artists as well as good and for some reason I think they were overated. I am SO Sorry.... I still like them though.

JLODM

I completely agree 

JLODM

I'm not really a fan of Radiohead's Kid A. I love Ok computer and A moon shaped pool, but Kid A never clicked for me the way OKC and AMSP.

You aren't alone in that opinion, but I'm guessing many of you also aren't old enough to remember The Beatles appearing on The Ed Sullivan show for the first time, and the stir they caused.

Their earlier music is very simple really. But it was part of a formula used at the time of radio friendly, singable songs. You can see how they evolved as a group along the way and how their music became more complex.

There were others around at the time who were also very good, but not too many reached the heights or generated the hype The Beatles did. They just had a mass appeal, and for many who grew up in that generation, they were a formative part of their love for music.

Music has truly come a long way since those days, but you can't forget how we got here. I wonder how many modern artists would cite the Beatles as inspiration?

Can't Help Falling in Love by Elvis Presley is a classic, but I really like Haley Reinhart's rendition of the song. Beautiful voice! 

Suggested posts