Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What's your most heretical music opinion?

What's your most heretical music opinion?

I follow the journalist Stevie Chick (MOJO/ The Guardian) and he asked a great question on Facebook: What's your most heretical music opinion? 

Stevie said "it seems to wind people up that I genuinely prefer Iggy's 1997 remix of Raw Power over the original Bowie production."

Okay here's mine: I prefer the Dixie Chick's cover of "landslide" to the Fleetwood Mac original. 

spotify:track:65nCVhtlWYUzNvcM1MYp4l:small

77 Replies

I prefer Tim Buckley's original Song to the Siren to This Mortal Coil's version. I'm only using this as an example because other than All Along the Watchtower (I'd rather hear Bob sing it), it is the only example I have and the latter is pretty weak. Song To The Siren is one of my favorite songs of all time, and although Tim's version lacks the vocal tricks that Fraser is so great at, Tim's voice is so unique and pained yet beautiful. Plus he wrote it, so it feels more raw of course.

Spotify

last.fm

Rateyourmusic.com

SoundCloud

My Favorite Tracks of 2015

If I helped, mark my answer as solution to help other users solve similar issues, please don't forget to send kudos if you like any answers.

What is a Rock Star and how you can become one? Click here to find out!

I love reading all of these! I don't think by opinion is too unpopular...

I prefer the Original 'All is Full of Love Mix' by Björk, compared to the album version mixed by Howie B. I find that the trippy beats mixed with harps take the song to whole new heavenly level. .

Original mix:
https://open.spotify.com/track/6CcjHv7QeoSbf21mfcfcNg

Album Version:
https://open.spotify.com/track/3XtQfTcqe5pNEsU1RI2vIC

The majority of today's mainstream Pop is mainly about narcissism, it is the equivalent of Teenage girls posting "sexy" pictures on Instagram.

@OMYOA_T Heretical to the industry maybe!

Any sensible person can see that though 😛

I don´t know if is hertical o not my option but I'm going with the man in black

spotify:track:28cnXtME493VX9NOw9cIUh:small

over the original from Nine Inch Nails

spotify:track:1lo9k4PrxFd5Np4cAxXoK:small

For me it´s  hard beacause I love both songs

JpgchiefRock Star 14
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I agree and prefer the Cash version myself. It's his voice... so tremulous and haunting, that does it for me. When he sings these lyrics, I believe him; he is so compelling I have no choice. It's no stretch of the imagination to see him having lived and felt these words.

I couldn't have said it any better ....
I totally agree with you
His voice and his life support him to be able to sing this song as it was his own inspiration!!!

JpgchiefRock Star 14

Would greatly appreciate if you checked out my music cover at this link!! > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfhvy_v_L2I&lc=z13st54qjnfyy5xty22ct3ozkuif11cq … thanks so much! xox

Is it heretical to say I usually don't like listening to live albums at home? Don't get me wrong... I love to go to live shows and listen to the artist's uncut versions of the album songs. It's especially entertaining when they throw in a little twist, something just a bit different from what you would hear in the studio. For example, I am a big fan of a Canadian Latin guitarist called Oscar Lopez. Went to see him and his Irish friend serve up a unique mashup of styles they affectionately dubbed "Celtino." 😄 It was a small, intimate theater in the artsy part of the city, and that only added to the vibe as Oscar tuned his guitar to produce wonderfully jazzy, off key renditions of his songs that raised goosebumps on my arms. He also broke a couple of guitar strings. Unfortunately, I don't get quite the same pleasure listening to most (not all) live music at home.

They used to say "you have a face for radio," which was a way of saying you sound better than you look. The advent of the music video changed all this, and put more of a focus on an artists' looks. I have noticed that the stars who became famous before the 1980s are often excellent live. They had to be. I don't think that's so much a case for today. Producers have an important job!  

There are some great covers. But they'll always be just covers.

One of my favorite covers is The Music Machine's version of "hey joe"

https://open.spotify.com/track/3qiyyUfYe7CRYLucrPmulD.small
The opening is very grating to my eardrums.

https://open.spotify.com/track/19T7FmzfoLWVX7Ndsn9mSe.small

If you've ever watched Fantasia or played Kingdom Hearts or Earthworm Jim, you're probably already familiar with this song.  Well, this is the original version.  Obviously the better version.  Sounds more demonic and menacing.

Also, if it exists, there's a rapper or rap song named after it.

EDIT: I think that solo piano songs/artists are very overrated in the world of instrumental.  I tend to prefer songs with a wide array of instruments.

Heretical or not, but there is something about how people used to sing (thinking about artists such as Nancy Sinatra, Sonny & Cher and the Mamas and the Papas). That defeating kind of ease.
That's not around anymore, is it?

Anyway. Robbie Williams has this (fairly disliked) album named Rudebox, and it has quite a few covers of songs. I familiarized myself with the originals as well, and I do think Robbie's versions of some of the songs are better than the original. 🙃 (Particularly Lovelight and Kiss Me)
Might be heretical because I'm aware not many people like him that much, lmao.

And finally... I don't exactly understand why so many people tend to label Aphex Twin as the a&o of electronica. It's true that the man is very skilled, but.. I don't know. Perhaps I simply don't like to call a specific artist the best of all. : )

SebastySpotify Star

That harsh delivery (be it vocals or music) is acceptable. 
I've a playlist called "JUST WAIT," and that's the main point of it; a lot of truly AWEsome musical segments (beautiful, unforgettable, etc.) are buried within long "metal" songs, which makes me feel bad for both the artist (gone unheard) and the audience (too coddled to endure even "uncomfortable sound"). 

That heavy music doesn't have to be all doom and gloom. 
I recently heard Gloom by ŌBLEAK and.. it's a direct contradiction to my claim (can't say that i /like/ the song... like even less that i can still relate with it). Then i recall songs such as Just so You Know by Versus Me (a mushy love song), Epiphany by Cyborg Octopus (an inspiring call-to-action that doesn't omit why we need such a spur) and Self Ownership by Backwordz (provocative). None of these are as heavy as Gloom but that's the point: the sonic spectrum is what it is - nothing new under the sun but that's no reason to be consciously stuck on repeat.

That talent should be recognized and rewarded. 
The fact that acts like 100 gecs is popular with such abusive sounds (and that i, with calloused ears, can still identify that as such) baffles me further in the absolute aversion most adhere to concerning aggressive music.

That image is less important than the music.
The Punk Rock MBA has argued that Slipknot without masks or Baby Metal sans kawaii wouldn't be the same. Perhaps. But i can't see with my ears.

That music doesn't have to be disposable and/or vapid. 
It isn't just base rage or contrarianism(/hipster sensibilities) that drives my musical taste. Being open-minded includes earholes and i find that the flavor of the month dulls. 

That nu-metal/rapcore/whatever that blend of genres is called is genuinely good.
I don't understand why and how it's considered trash or just lame. Rap delivery with heavy music (or vice versa even, see Ultrarare for both and more) is the best of both worlds in my opinion. The contrast is often riffed on in a meta way, and that genuine acknowledgement and embrace of the "quality of being other" makes it "the realest" music to me (although, elsewhere in these discussions, i realized that the genre as a whole might not age as well as some others).

That forerunner metal bands such as Metallica and Iron Maiden (et cetera) are less appealing nowadays.
Earlier in the thread the point was made that because The Beatles are a source of inspiration for so many artists, they're nearly impervious to critique. However true, I acknowledge the same to be valid for the likes of Anthrax and Ozzy but - also finding value in production over "authentic sound" - I am not a "metal purist" and can only be amused when i hear that AC/DC is still making music.

Regarding the recognition of talent, "there's such a huge market for bad things." : )

100 gecs is a kind of weird thing. Some listen to this ironically, others actually like the sound. It's in general a fairly big "bleep you" to production. I was forced to listen to them and felt very much attacked 😅.

I am very much weirded out by "Driver's License" by Olivia Rodrigo (gave it a listen to see what's the fuss about). Blandest story I've heard for a long while.
I mean I understand why the success - young people like to associate their feelings with lyrics - but I still feel kind of taken aback by the bland.

But look how successful this formulaic pop song is!

SebastySpotify Star

What's popular is what's safe (to market with success in mind, don't even need to get started on the fact such music is NOT safe (i.e. romanticizing driving under the influence, *clap*)).

That "how bad is your spotify tool" asked if i listened to the linked song ironically. Of course not, it's effing epic (brain rattling - the choir offsets the abuse)!, but i should've asked the same of geccos i guess. Then that begs the question what kind of merit such listening habits entails.. but i genuinely enjoy the Made Up Language remix of Repugnant. So who am i to ask?

Olivia has some good pipes, inoffensive i guess. Nothing special, i share your befuddlement.

https://open.spotify.com/track/72ePOP7ujPgF0UkISL7Nrh?si=ksyTvsypRmuTnvMYoM6HGQ

Here's a nice piece of heresy for you:

I believe that the very popular outburst of music from the 1990s including grunge, alternative and shoegazing is overrated. While there is a lot of talent and skill involved, and there is some innovation, the end result is boring. I call it "monotony and wailing".

My take is that the most interesting music released in the 1990s was recorded by "old hands" that had been in the music industry for over a decade at the time (not necessarily in those lineups).

These are the three albums from 1990s that I listen to the most:

https://open.spotify.com/album/5KztrAgu5Q8ZbNhDyPvSxS?si=S01DQxgOQS2h9YgtJ-jLMA

https://open.spotify.com/album/3PKMZmXp1P0zeHt6tO1TpY?si=KxP8FPrkQlKjND6tvMJi_g

https://open.spotify.com/album/25JdFEbKXocMQyJdlBzD5d?si=t3tOq_iHS0WjgQbGkMeqRQ

I have one thing on my mind, it's about autotune and I guess computer software and plugins on a broader term.

Claiming to make music free of autotune and performed by a real person is not leaving a good impression.
I mean, excessive amount of autotuning is, well, a problem, or at least claimed to be. I don't come across that as often anymore. In modern rap it's a feature, part of the genre's appeal.

But releasing a song made entirely on a laptop versus playing instruments on a song-to-be-released is perhaps a very unnecessary thing to put into contrast. There are human persons behind both of them.

Life's good. Bashing the name of a plugin just because.. is not. <:)

SebastySpotify Star

I don't like opinions too much problems

Suggested posts