Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Your musical journey in this decade

Your musical journey in this decade

Hey 🙂

This year is set to meet its end in the coming week, and with it ends another decade.

It has been a pretty eventful decade, some of those events you can read and reminisce in.. this thread by @Soundofus.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on your musical journey - what changed in your tastes, what is the best act you got to see live, what do you regret seeing or not seeing and so on. Spotify Wrapped gave us listeners our artist of the decade - do you agree with yours, do you have an album of the decade too, or do you prefer not crown one the king because you have 50 different artists and albums you love to bits? 🙂

I know I began this decade with next to no diversity in my tastes and then my tastes somewhat suddenly exploded midway through. It also feels like discovering Amon was only yesterday, though.

I wish you a Happy New Year! 🙂 🎉🎆

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
1 Reply

Before this decade, my musical taste was not nearly so diversified, and I mostly listened to jam bands like Phish and the Grateful Dead. It was only towards the end of this decade (mostly in 2018 and 2019) that I started to discover the stoner rock, psychedelic rock, space rock, and doom metal artists that I listen to so often nowadays. One notable exception is Ozric Tentacles, a space/psychedelic/progressive rock band whom I discovered earlier, in 2012 (and who were my artist of the year for 2019). Also earlier in the decade, in 2013 and 2014, I started to get into jazz, which I don’t listen to nearly as often now, but still enjoy.

I attribute many of my musical discoveries to Spotify, which I started using in 2013. However, I only started making public playlists that I intend to keep in late 2017. Categorizing saved music by genre in playlists has been a lot of fun and makes it easy to find my favorite tracks for most of the genres that I enjoy listening to.

The best act that I got to see live this decade was definitely Phish; I went to a few Phish concerts this decade, but my favorite was probably a 2-night run that I attended in Saratoga Springs, NY in 2012. Phish was also my artist of the decade, which I absolutely agree with; I listened to them more than any other artist this decade, even though in recent months I’ve probably been listening more to contemporary stoner/psychedelic rock bands.

I’m not sure what my album of the decade was, since I only started using Last.fm on December 28, 2018; however, for the past year, my top album is II by Weedpecker.

I wish you a Happy New Year as well!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts