Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Best Overall Songs of 2017 (Share Yours)

Best Overall Songs of 2017 (Share Yours)

Hey all! 

After the godsend that was 2016, we're all hoping for an encore! With new music from the xx, Bonobo, Foxygen, and on the horizon, Japandroids and Arcade Fire - the year is looking good ^_^

Same deal - share tracks you've loved from this year - known or unknown! I'll kick things off:

spotify:track:0VyDfbI76jtldmLnEHQIS4

@rebeccacg @FunkishAudio @jonasherdegen @BenitoKCM @Jazzwhatever 

424 Replies

@

Sit back and enjoy this one:

spotify:track:21SwpuMKFPPpTefZofm0lT

Follow me

Here's a potential nominee from a local band that were great live!

spotify:track:1yZlrhkrsOzLUqzOaSuZ44

And from an old favourite, a new and bright release!

spotify:track:2skqzsjQiPPICFWM8QDu39

2017 started with the release of one of the best albums I've ever listened to, so, I'm sharing with you "Kerala" by Bonobo from his latest work of art, "Migration".

Perfect for a rainy day like today 🙂

spotify:track:5DAjrJqXqYtgr67pVhmUeR

Follow me

Totally agree Raquel, Bonobo's new album is awesome!

Here's a fairly unknown track released recently that's been popular on SoundCloud for a while already:

https://open.spotify.com/track/1pGPs2ofZ9ONg1t4TpZP4u

Another quirky and elaborate tune from the legends that are Dirty Projectors! hyped for the upcoming album ^_^

spotify:track:03HJG5jLNebHrw5QHJTPWL

Punch from Kngdavd, with melodies reminiscent of Queen.

spotify:track:0tTf1PMAU7RtvKwx304QHE

An echoey shoegaze hit from Slowdive, appropriately named Star Roving - an ambitious, meticulously produced tune ❤️

spotify:track:0eNeturRjWHoi2SxITY0XC

And another with a surf rock edge, 'Internal World' from the album 'Life Without Sound' by Ohio natives Cloud Nothings.

spotify:track:76QeD0YFpWPeD8s9DKrBvf

For country and folk fans, the return of Aimee Mann (of 'Til Tuesday) is a blessing indeed.

spotify:track:5kTijym0sA9x4j1oOYPbp7

And on the topic, Mac Demarco returned to the scene with two great tracks, one channelling Bob Dylan, the other mixing things up with some electronic influences.

spotify:track:1Cf943IKq0bhdBv4VfdOcd

Can't go without some xx. From an album (I see You) that departed from the slow burning grooves that gained them prominence, 'Dangerous' is dangerously addictive.

spotify:track:33B2QbtAj8mbDpwvGTOnBt

And in the same vein, the side project of Blood Orange lead Dev Hynes has dropped! A classic, soulful tune reminiscent of 90s R'n'B with modern production value.

spotify:track:54xRk3fc6bP0aOmEAQXG2C

As shamelessly ironic as the album proper, the continuation of the critically acclaimed and politically insightful 'HOPELESSNESS' by ANOHNI, comes 'Paradise'. The definitive artist released the following statement with the EP:

spotify:track:36DS9bcHj0GrX9P5e3vdbd

“Our new leaders hope to crush our spirits and expedite ecocide in the name of virulent progress, consumerism and false security.
Like Jihadis, many capitalists and Christians compulsively seek to facilitate a righteous “holy war”, or apocalypse.

For millennia, Men have enslaved women and attempted to appropriate female creative power, re-casting themselves as gods and creators. This assault continues today in the forms of ruthless wealth and mineral extraction, genetic engineering, mass surveillance and war mongering.But as Donald Trump and his cabinet now demonstrate, the skills encouraged in men by their biologies and the tools that boys master in the playground have not equipped them to deal with the unprecedented global crisis we are now facing. Mothers, your sons are trapped in a nightmare; they are not capable of responsibly negotiating the destructive agency that they now wield.

More profound even than a crime against humanity, fathers and sons now compulsively prepare to commit ecocide, in a final and irreversible assault upon creation itself. Only an intervention by women around the world, with their innate knowledge of interdependency, deep listening, empathy and self-sacrifice, could possibly alter our species’ desperate course.”

Chilling words indeed.

Old pop rock hands Japandroids dropped an album by the same name earlier this year, channelling an unrestrained postive energy throughout.

spotify:track:1OUq53MyBgk5adDrnNLWRX

On the other hand, Priests are an unknown debut making waves this month with an eclectic brand of noise rock. Well worth a listen.

spotify:track:1SgD8T9738K5lGMyEwMHYR

Australian indie pop nomads 'The Jungle Giants' have been on tour after their last album Speakerzoid, named after a mishearing of a Sonic Youth song.

They return with an infectious tune to break in 2017.

spotify:track:3RRBaz1hBI6jSjZ5UAYoUX

Meanwhile Jamiroquai released one of the weirdest and grooviest techno tracks in the past few months, aptly named Automaton.

spotify:track:6twol6GKjrxZ4sBr5Xg6WY

Most of these tracks / artists have already been featured in the playlist "A Different January" or in the playlist "A Different February" started today.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Playlist-Exchange/A-Different-February-2017-daily-new-releases/td-p...

Many other new releases to find also as : Future Islands, The Magnetic Fields, The Tragic Thrills, Bob Dylan, Mac Demarco, The Menzingers, The Sadies and several others.

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Another Way, the more subdued track of three by London indie rockers Ten Fe is a sure earworm.

If you love it, make sure to check out Twist Your Arm and Overflow too!

spotify:track:1vC6vSlC70K6NE5t9zLGlY 

Club ready and wobbly, U MAKE ME by debut artist ISAAC LEE is a refreshing and fun debut track. 

spotify:track:72BRaJMbEHHfBaTUEGpED8

In the hiatus between James Blake albums comes an artist clearly inspired by the soul legend, bringing a personal twist with sharp lyrics and a tropical edge.

spotify:track:4X9JAGRyJnnHN3KUjq1r9C

Yes and please and thankyou!

New Cold War Kids ^_^

spotify:track:2qFubYeWKXH5jRCoPqOcJO

pretty awesome video clip too - check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbe3oSfUG00&feature=youtu.be

Another return from an old hand, the melodic croon of Guy Garvey is a comfortable sound to fans of alternative rock - as here, with a typically downbeat and immersive rock hymn.

spotify:track:3EzTre0pxmoMYRuhJKMHj6

It looks like it's going to be a great year! Here's what I've got so far — funky, soulful, eclectic music from around the world 2017...

It's been a big twelve months for grime, reaching new heights in the past year, and creating audiences that didn't exist before for british rap. Wiley has been one of the key architects of the genre, and he returns on an album, 'Godfather', packed with feature artists. 

spotify:track:18Wi79fsl98HdtCBUt9CZ7

Another exciting artist, South London hip hop artist Loyle Carner, delivers his lyrics with his heart on his sleeve. He brings an emotional eloquence almost unprecedented for a genre like grime that has been obnoxious in the past.

spotify:track:1H6495e3O4TEK8zJF6VaHF

One of the most underrated artists in indie rock, The Dig have released a sensitive and meticulous record in Bloodshot Tokyo. Whilst lacking any radio friendly hits, the vocals (reminiscent of Mark Foster) demand your attention and make for very easy listening.

spotify:track:6qp8Y6Q3GNBzGUWsSfZELq

Suggested posts