Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Rock] What Are You Listening To?

[Rock] What Are You Listening To?

Artist: Deep Purple

Release: The Battles Rages On

Some content that got added to the artist profile page, I have just now gotten around to it.

138 Replies

I heard a lot of rock styles, this its my playlist, its has a little of all styles, from the bettles,marilyn manson, megadeth, acdc, led zeppelin, black sabbath... etc.. go listen!

https://open.spotify.com/user/abesavage10/playlist/1ltqlud8Xj0j07UHrRdLH8

"For those about to rock!"

Artist: Pixies
Release: Head Carrier
Year: New September 30th, 2016
Labels: Pixiesmusic, PIAS
Style of Music: Alternative/ Indie/ Pop Rock 
Origins: Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.

The bands first full length release since 1991's Trompe le Monde as Indie Cindy was basically a compilation release of three EP's released between 2013-2014 period of the band, and which said release is also in a deluxe two disc version of a release with live material from a 2014 show.

This release has that wonderful Pixies feel many grew to enjoy during the alternative rock hey days of the 90's, and they do some rather cool stuff on this new release as well. An easy release to get into, the songs are very short time lengths making the 12 track album release a little over the 30 minute mark. This is the first full release with new bass player Paz Lenchantin. Check it out the glorious Pixies.

Artist: Temple Of The Dog
Release: Temple Of The Dog (Deluxe Edition)
Year: New September 30th, 2016
Labels: A&M Records
Style of Music: Alternative Rock/ Grunge 
Origins: Seattle, Washington, U.S.

Includes a 25th anniversary remix of the original release, alternate mixes, plus demo track takes, and other studio outtakes.

Artist: Banks

Song: Brain

Post Punk/Grunge from Hull, UK

Artist: Green Day
Release: Revolution Radio
Year: New October 7th, 2016
Labels: Reprise Records
Style of Music: Alternative Rock/ Punk Rock/ Pop Punk Rock
Origins: East Bay, California, U.S.

Green Day has been doing a few different things with releases musically and Revolution Radio is no different. The album starts out with a track that is cool and mellow, and then builds into a kind of alternative rock throw back sound of the late 90's that fans will recognize. And then the songs start building afterwards into the bands signature Punk/Pop Punk sound familiar to fans, and with a few song directions thrown in for good measure and for a fresh sound direction for the band, such as the alternative mellow rocker number Outlaws that spins the band into a new sound direction than ever before, the album songs then picks up again with Pop Punk / Alternative Rock music direction again. The album finishes off with a rather interesting moody melancholy acoustic number. Give the new release a few spins, Green Day has not had many disappoints in the music department, and Revolution Radio is no disappointment, but the album music direction does draw ideas of the best sounds from Alternative Rock and Punk Rock music influences and blends them together magnificently here. For fans of Alternative Rock / Pop Punk Rock music.

Artist: NOFX
Release: First Ditch Effort
Labels: Far Wreck Chords
Style of Music: Punk Rock / Skate Punk / Ska Punk / Melodic Hardcore / Hardcore Punk
Origins: L.A. California, U.S.

NOFX has had the same lineup since around 1991 and this album is rather good given that this is the bands 13th studio release to date. Not many bands who have been around since the mid 80's, and had a hand in the days of Hardcore Punk and more importantly Skate/Ska Punk Rock have had this much staying power. Although this release does sound like a tad bit in the direction of Pop Punk Rock, well the band did influence that whole scene with a few other Punk bands from these era's as well. Take this release for a few spins, and I think Pop Punk fans might even enjoy this release, and the new release might make them dig a bit deeper into the roots of where it all began.

I agree that the new Green Day album is quite nice (at least half of the songs), but I would say that the new Alter Bridge album called "The Last Hero" is great as well. It's Alt. Rock, not Punk Rock, but who cares if it's good right? 🙂

spotify:track:18iRB1dGKB7tDfGrjT76ef

Artist: Third Eye Blind
Release: We Are Drugs E.P.
Labels: Mega Collider Records
Style of Music: Alternative Rock
Origins: San Francisco, California, U.S.

The band members have been stating since 2012 they intended to release Mini E.P. releases instead of full length releases from here on out. Seems the Dopamine E.P. with also the much large full album release of the same name has begun this trend for the band. So far this second E.P. is an interesting mix of Alternative Rock music styles. According to the release wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Are_Drugs, the band only had a week for recording this and did things in a spontaneous way, and whatever music direction was come up with the band roll with it and did something interesting here. 7 tracks here with this release, and each of the 7 tracks has a unique music twist. Take it for a few spins.

Ah, so pleased some of the demos got released. I had a bootleg cd of them years ago & I love hearing how songs evolve from a demo to the final song. Some of the songs on here are just so raw with emotion in Chris Cornell's ever amazing vocal.

Artist: Kings of Leon
Release: WALLS
Year: New October 14, 2016
Labels: RCA Records, Sony Music Entertainment
Style of Music: Rock / Alternative Rock
Origins: Nashville, Tennessee, U.S. 

Well the 7th release by K.O.L. has arrived, it is a rather moody release this one, has some rather interesting twists musically for the band. Sometimes Rolling Stone Magazine really irritates me, makes me wonder if their music critics actually listen to music or just post a bunch of B.S. about releases? Anyway I like this release, but then have always found K.O.L. music to be of interest to me, eh. One of a hand full of bands from the Southern U.S. who have been able to take the classic Southern Rock / Hard Rock vibe, and take the music genre in a new direction musically over the years. Take this release for a few spins, somehow like all work by K.O.L. the music grows on you, seeps into your skin and bones, and feels familiar as a warm Summer breeze going by.

Artist: Hardline
Release: Human Nature
Year: New October 14th, 2016
Labels: Frontier Records
Style of Music: Hard Rock / AOR 
Origins: Originally Hollywood, California, U.S. Now the band has an international draw of musicians.

New release with a currently lineup of:

• Johnny Gioeli (Vocals)
  • Alessandro Del Vecchio (Keyboards, 2011–present)
  • Josh Ramos (Guitars 2002–2009, 2012–present)
  • Anna Portalupi (Bass, 2011–present)
  • Francesco Jovino (Drums, 2011–2012, 2014–present)

Rather straight forward hard rock sound, much more AOR focused musically, has a hard driving music direction. The lead singer Johnny Gioeli being the only original member from it's early 90's heyday with Neil Schon on the six string. Johnny seems to have a kind of Jon Bon Jovi sound in his voice now here on this release, and so fans of Bon Jovi's hard rock direction early in their career might go for this release. This Hardline lineup does the hard driving music justice here, kind of has a Joe Lynn Turner/Blackmore Rainbowish feel musically but in a modern way, with a nice hard driving edge to the music. Which should mean something as Joe Lynn Turner's solo band Sunstorm: https://open.spotify.com/artist/6jB65Zq6NTxjrhVVLFdHn4 is on the same label Frontier Records as Hardline, as well as Joe's other side super group, Rated X: https://open.spotify.com/artist/0d8HJ1IaiG77LL8nhfQP5I

Anyway take this new release for a few spins, for fans of AOR music in general.

Just to highlight some content I have gotten around to that showed up on New Music Friday November the 4th, 2016.

As some Spotify users might have noticed the Neil Young discography of his solo content that was released over the years away from the CSNY collaborations effort, Young's solo various works has showed back up on the Spotify service on three main artist pages:

Neil Young - https://open.spotify.com/artist/6v8FB84lnmJs434UJf2Mrm

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - https://open.spotify.com/artist/1jVuLlkfKibBT0hXDnzQjp

Neil Young + Promise of the Real -https://open.spotify.com/artist/2XxfwJ8GFIwpwaHh6oL3PT - note content from this recent solo collaboration effort can be found on just the Neil Young artist page as well.

Since Neil Young's content has come back on the Spotify service, a couple of new releases showed up this past Friday that caught my attention from the last time his content was on the Spotify service.

First up:

Artist: Neil Young
Release: Bluenote Café

Year: November 13, 2015
Labels: Reprise
Style of Music: Rock / RnB / Blues Rock
Origins: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I will just basically link to the wiki page on the information for this release, as the release has many recorded live tracks from different dates and locations, as this is Young's 11th archive release in his series of content he has been releasing over the years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluenote_Caf%C3%A9 This release has recorded live material from Young's foray into classic 50's era Rock and RnB direction Young went into during the late 80's era of his recording output.

Next up:

Artist: Neil Young, Promise of the Real
Release: Earth
Year: June 17th, 2016
Labels: Reprise
Style of Music: Rock / Folk Rock
Origins: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada + Venice, Los Angeles, California, U.S.

A live release of content during the Rebel Content Tour of 2015, live album contains animal / nature sounds throughout the live set list of songs.

Last up:

Artist: Queen
Release: On Air - 2 Disc Edition: The Complete BBC Sessions
Year: November 4th, 2016

Labels: Virgin EMI, Hollywood

Style of Music: Hard Rock
Origins: London, England, U.K.

The 2 disc set of this release of basically content recording at the BBC recording studio over the band's career years of early February 1973 - late October 1977.

Royal Blood - Royal Blood

spotify:album:0BFzNaeaNv4mahOzwZFGHK

Artist : Silent Elephant

Independant rock from the north of France, got some local popularity but still hasn't broken through. 

Deserves more recognition imo 🙂 (special mention to dusk hu)

https://open.spotify.com/album/4d093yMJEGHWT2dObWu8Ml

currently listening to: (and some classic sabbath ofcourse)

Suggested posts