Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Buying music tracks/albums

Buying music tracks/albums

Dear Spotify owners

I like spotify very much and I've been a user since 2010. For sometime you had the buying option. With Apple and Google now in the market and both of them offering this option, I'm just one step away to leave Spotify forever. (Their music directory is also huge, you can find everything there). I think it matters to own the music when one pays for it. Statistically speaking (myself and friends usage), people generally listen to playlist that doesn't necessarily grows everyday in terms of number tracks. I pay 1200 NOK per year to Spotify, but I don't own 130 music tracks(equivalent to that amount). And after 5 years I do not own 650 tracks in total that I could. My point is if you wanna keep your users, please provid them this option as well.

I would like to hear your answer

Have a nice day

Reza 🙂 

28 Replies

use DJpools NOT... Spotify, youtube og itunes. Spotify, youtube og itunes just sucks for finding Music genre ect.. Spotify, youtube og itunes just gives you pre-planed music lists... and sucks for buing spesific music. go to DJpools! reriod

It's how streaming platforms operate. For a monthly fee you get extra features (or actually gain access to the service, if there's no free tier). You don't pay for music as it's not a music store. This is more like a library or a movie rental thing, and the fact you don't own anything is the face of streaming platforms. Netflix also gives you access to lots of movies and series, yet you actually own none of the films you've watched there.

There are platforms that unify store and streaming features, most notably Bandcamp where you can stream your purchases with no additional fee via its mobile app. Plus it doesn't charge extra for lossless and you get digital dl when ordering vinyl. For me it's still mostly a music store with extra features. Spotify for me is like a library where i can explore pretty much everything and then decide if I'd like to buy it.. because buying all your favourite music will cost considerably more than paying for a streaming service.

However I like the idea of some application that would search where you can buy the song with a single click though. Saves a bit extra from googling. : )

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Buying music is No No No for me. Why?

I listen from 5 000 to 10 000 hard dance tracks on Spotify monthly. Very much of the tracks are unique too.

If I'd buy let's say half of that, 2 500 tracks, it would make me 2500 euros poorer if not more. Monthly.

It's a bargain to have all tracks and even more for 10,99 euros only.

I wish that Spotify had annual Premium with let's say one month free Premium perk. I'd go for it NOW!

There are hundreds of songs I would buy through Spotify (lossless aiff or flac) if they provided this option. I’d love to be able to click a song or playlist and have a link that allows me to buy them all at once perhaps auto creating a shopping cart in say Juno or Beatport. 

Selling music is no more profitable for business.

I've recently got the message from big Google that they are closing MP3 store on Play and they did close it. So they did with Google Play Music app. If mp3 store were profitable, I wouldn't think Spotify and Google closed it. It's now all streaming.

You can still buy music -- you just need to buy it elsewhere.

You seem to miss the point. Ofcourse we can and will buy the tracks elsewhere. I am just asking if Spotify can make it easy by linking the tracks in a given playlist to a 3rd party where the track can be bought and allow for batch adding all the tracks in a playlist. 
Looking up and buying one by one is time-consuming and could easily be solved. Spotify could take a percentage of the price for every track that lead to a sale from from their platform. 

Keep in mind Bandcamp is hustling and so is every platform. As an artist, you have to expand your network even though I remain loyal to Spotify #1. I do wish we got paid faster, and a 320kpbs download would be nice for my fans to DJ while I sit at home and count "racks" haha. I only play originals only while they DJ other people's tracks. No beef against DJ's, I am one myself, I just strictly produce and perform my own. Even though data is gold, when people whip out their cameras and see you or simply livestreaming it in their room, the algorithm can catch it and get a cut royalties, so even then, with GPS we can get royalties + instant payment - applicable fees. Win win for everybody, not just business wise, but LETTING fans enjoy the music. There's a lot of renegade raves however, so we need more WIFI in general. Ultimately it's all about electricity and earthly resources.

Know your worth. I only play shows if paid in advance because promoters, etc are sketch. With that said, I threw my own show once, built up momentum, flew an artist myself, played my tracks, my name was up on a billboard-thingy in Vegas, and "all" the cash got handed to me backstage, which I generously handed everyone 50/50. I don't gamble, I split.

So when my tattoo artist probed me about the face tattoo, "how confident are you that your business will be successful? Because face tattoos are a job killer". Um, mister tattoo artist I got paid from Google when I was 13, do you need a resume?

I also agree it could be an extra perk/subscription but that's another step on a landing page.

Just my 2million cents. 

Cheers,

Infinati and Friends.

Isn't it what they did with someone else back in the days?

I was aböe to buy tracks on Spotify with discount if bought more than 10 at a times.

The didn't have much interest from users or it was too expensive for them.

I hope they can add it, personally some don't need it and some need it.

Yes, they had something like that back in the day. 
But Spotify wouldn't even have to integrate it into the GUI. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of being able to export a playlist and import it at beatport, juno, or whatever, or if Spotify could let some music stores retrieve the playlists via the API so they can match up and sell the tracks in an easy way to us. 
If it's already possible to do what I'm describing I would appreciate if someone let's me know how to. It's spesifically electronic music where this need is somewhat greater as one deals less with complete albums and more with single, obscure, little known tracks. 

Suggested posts