Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't find a Spotify user

Solved!

Can't find a Spotify user

I am brand new to Spotify. I cannot find a certain Spotify user.  I am logging in using the FB login. I don't know if I should use the Spotify login. I am not friends with this person on FB. I do not have a "Follow" button just a "People" button. When I have tried to Search for this person, I have even tried the Spotify:user:username. Doesn't come up. I know they are here, only reason why I have joined.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@owentje wrote:

I have a similar issue. I've linked my account to Facebook, but I can't find my friend. My friend is also not able to find me.

I know both of our usernames, but entering it in each others account doesn't give any result.

My username is: owentje

her username is: nishialam

What am I doing wrong here?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

I can access both of those profiles by searching for:

spotify:user:owentje

and

spotify:user:nishialam

This will only work in the desktop application however. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

it worked on mobile too (ios 9.3) You may wan't to check on android too.

Marked as solution

All you need to do is write in the profile name as it is and then double tap the space bar. For some reason this works. (Mobile and tablets only)

44 Replies

How you find people is different depending on whether the person you are trying to find created their account using Facebook or if they have a dedicated Spotify username and password. 

If they created their account and have a dedicated username and password, then you are using the correct search to find them. 

If they created their account using Facebook, then their username will be a string of 10-digits which you need to search for using the same method as above. Finding out these numbers is the hard bit. You will most likely need to ask them for this information, it will be on their online profile. Alternatively, if you can find one of their playlists or get them to inbox you something that would also do the trick.

Peter

Peter

I have a similar issue. I've linked my account to Facebook, but I can't find my friend. My friend is also not able to find me.

I know both of our usernames, but entering it in each others account doesn't give any result.

Marked as solution

@owentje wrote:

I can access both of those profiles by searching for:

spotify:user:owentje

and

spotify:user:nishialam

This will only work in the desktop application however. 

Peter

Peter

Ah, I know what I did wrong. I was using the search term in the 'people' section. But all I had to do was using the regular search bar! 🙂 Thnx!

I went to my online profile but I don't see a ten digit number.  Where would i find this?

@onisakura wrote:

I went to my online profile but I don't see a ten digit number.  Where would i find this?

The other easy way to find it is to go to your own profile in the Spotify desktop client, right click on your name at the top of the displayed profile page and select "Copy Spotify URI". Paste that into notepad or somewhere else and your spotify username (which will be 10 digits if you have a Facebook created account) will be there. 

Peter

Peter

I too am trying to find people throug the desktop - I know that the two people I am looking for have signed up through spotify - and I believe their usernames to be the same name that shows up on my people page? I did ask one of them and she confirmed that is her username but when I search her it says she doesn't exist.. is it possible they have never been on the community and that is why? or they have a private site and therefore I can't find them?

I am having the same problem. I go the search bar and type in, but only "unknown user" comes up.. 

I liked the people link before, because you could easily find users either by facebook or usernames. Now you need to search, but nothing comes up even if I try usernames or regular names.. What can I do?

IF you have the linux client you might have to log out and then back in for the "spotify:user:USERNAME" to work.

It happend to me when I didn't use the account for a long time and got a popup at startup.

The userfield on the right side was then black.

As I restarted spotify the userfield on the right side was grey and the search worked.

spotify:user:owentje is pretty obtuse. Why isn't there an interface for that's not a CLI.

The spotify:user:username "search" is actually a Spotify URI which is a direct link to someone's profile rather than a search. Every Spotify profile, artist, playlist, album and track has a unique URI so you can directly access content if you like. There is actually no way to "search" for non-Facebook friends. 

Be sure to add your kudos and comments to this ideas topic which asks for an improved search facility for non-Facebook friends. 

Peter

Peter

I am new, very new ... trying to find a user by the username, typed it in the search box like everyone is telling me to do, but all I get is 'Unknown user' What am I doing wrong?

@stsa1974 wrote:

I am new, very new ... trying to find a user by the username, typed it in the search box like everyone is telling me to do, but all I get is 'Unknown user' What am I doing wrong?

That generally indicates the username you are searching for does exist? 

Are you sure you are searching for the right username? (Bear in mind Spotify usernames and Facebook usernames are completely different). 

Peter

Peter

I am using the spotify:user:sstamilio and get unknown user. And vice versa for n_kane1, what is the issue?

@n_kane1 - Is that your username as it is shown on your online overview? I can't find either of those accounts either. 

Peter

Peter

This is really frustrating actually. I have several requests for my spotify username to gain access to my public playlists and no one can find me. I preferred to not have my facebook linked on sign up so I created my account with my username. I don't understand why this isn't made available and why there isn't an user friendly way to find a friend/username off the desktop or mobile app. Esp with a paid premium account. 

This is really frustrating actually. I have several requests for my spotify username to gain access to my public playlists and no one can find me. I preferred to not have my facebook linked on sign up so I created my account with my username. I don't understand why this isn't made available and why there isn't an user friendly way to find a friend/username off the desktop or mobile app. Esp with a paid premium account?

Easiest thing to do is share a link to your profile. Go to your profile in the desktop client, then right click on your name at the top and select "Copy HTTP Link" and then share that with your friends. Alternatively they should be able to find your profile by searching for "spotify:user:<Your Username>".

Peter

Long time Spotifyer, long time Premium, first post

I don't have Facebook and I never will have.  A friend of mine is the same.  

We both use Spotify Premium.

I want to share some playlists with him and vice versa.

I use the Desktop client, on Windows.  I go to Playlist, I click Share, i click Send To, I get two characters in to the Friends name and a greyed out message says, Sorry, no results could be found.

Why is this?  Or is there no way to communicate/share without Faceache??

Many thanks

Suggested posts