Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Delete duplicates from Spotify playlist in minute - guide

Delete duplicates from Spotify playlist in minute - guide

Hey to everyone.

UPDATE: IF YOU DON'T WANT TO FOLLOW THIS GUIDE, THERE IS A LITTLE TOOL WHICH WORKS STRAIGH AWAY WITH YOUR ACCOUNT AND DETECTS ANY DUPLICATES. http://jmperezperez.com/spotify-dedup/

Tired to watch duplicates 24/7 in your playlist? I show how you can delete all duplicates from your Spotify in less than one minute! Rate and comment my guide. I know everything about Spotify.

duplicates1.png

Go to this site http://paulvi.nl/deduplicator/. Please go to your Library or playlist in Spotify and select all tracks. Then copy and paste to Word/this forum/other software that convert those to text like in picture and then to this site in link. Then click DeDuplicate. Danger: do not close this page at all for a while. Also text is better than links because you may added duplicates where Spotify url is different, so this tool does not show those as duplicates when you use links for comparing.

duplicates2.png

Go to this site http://www.quickdiff.com/index.php. Go now to previous site. Copy and paste first box to left side & copy and paste second box to right side. Now compare.

duplicates3.png

Now just scroll and see all those highlighted lines (duplicates).

duplicates4.png

Search those now from Spotify playlist and delete (Search bar in Windows: CTRL + F). You may also want to check duplicates from Starred list view or Library view at the same time. Enjoy!

Hope this help! Big credits to anyone who created those awesome tools for us!!! However why Spotify does not provide a tool inside Spotify? But before this official tool, you can use my guide. I really like Spotify now, it's just simple to listen music and now realised how to listen without those duplicates... Really I can remember when I searched those manually. 😄

90 Replies

incredibly easy to do. thank you!

You're welcome. I realised this simple thing just week ago and shared it with world in no time.

Glad to hear this helped you.

I appreciate your work, however this seems to be quite a work around.

Does the spotify software not have duplicate search function at all?

Especially at one of my common playlists it happend after only an hour that at least 5 duplicates existed.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a button saying find duplicates.

Hey,

As I know this duplicate thing is Under consideration in Spotify.

However I do not know when Spotify want to fix this big, annoying problem.

Is there any thing with my guide I can help you out? 😉

Thanks, but I did it manually during the weekend.

For future possible duplicates I'll use your work around unless they haven't implement it until then.

I'm just surprised that such a feature does not exist, when at the same time common playlists do exist.

The same with commentaries in the common playlist, they would make group-projects so much easier.

Excellent, 

But i might ask for a new feature, could you show the removed tracks?

Why?

Cause i use this on my starred playlist, the idea is that i have local version of tracks that i must remove when the track is released on spotify.

Your script do that but i would prefer to open the duplicates and unstar them.

Also with your method i am not sure which one appears as duplicate, the local one or the one on spotify. So just by having the list of duplicates found i could easily do what i want.

Great work, thank you!

Hey,

This tool can handle any song on your library. Locals too.

However for better results I suggest to go Edit - Preferences and select Unhide unplayable tracks. Then you see also those hided tracks.

To this removed tracks thing in first service I link: you can contact a service provider.

Hey,

yes i know it handles local files. And i also selected "hide unplaylable tracks"

Thanks for that.

It s just a question of output layout. But i got what i wanted using a simple diff tool so it s good.

now one other question. How do you compare tracks?

Do you only rely on spotify track id?

I ask because comparing a local file and a spotify track, title/artist may be a little different

If i take the example of a remix, there are a lot of ways to write it 

- track 1 (toto remix)

- track toto remix

- track toto rmx

- track 1 - toto remix

- track 1 [toto remix]

etc...

Do you handle that?

Those tools does not handle this.

The main problem is sitting in Spotify metadata errors. However with some programs you might be able to remove -, (, ) and other things used in track names. This way tracks Edward Maya - Stereo Love feat. Vika Jigulina, Edward Maya - Stereo Love - feat. Vika Jigulina and Edward Maya - Stereo Love (feat. Vika Jigulina) will be Edward Maya Stereo Love feat. Vika Jigulina. However I do not know any service that do this.

Ok i see the difficulty, would be better if spotify handled that itself!

Anyway thanks for the support, you still save some hard drive on my phone! 😉

Thank you. This should be a real problem to Spotify. Actually both - the duplicates and content errors.

Let's hope that Spotify can stop sleeping and start working on those.

Have a nice summer or better everything.

Hey, you really should consider changing this guide. I started doing this on my playlist with 2500 tracks and a lot of duplicates, and after 30 mins, I had maybe done 1/10.... So I started looking for a better solution. And you can, in fact, just drag all your tracks right into http://paulvi.nl/deduplicator/, and then deduplicate, and replace your playlist with the new list. This will not remove all duplicates, but maybe 90% of them, which saved me hours. After this, I followed your guide, and got rid of the last 10% of duplicates.

This just creates a new playlist with the duplicates removed, it does not remove the duplicates from the library.

If you read this guide carefully, you can easily see, no need to new playlist. You can compare playlists and then remove duplicates maually. 🙂

manually isn't an option for me I have over 1200

I think he means "remove" manually. You compare -> finds duplicate then you remove them.

I do it with 3000 tracks in my playlist 😛 It s not the most pleasant task, but sometimes you have to do it.

Ok he said "search" for each entry and remove them. That's a bit more manual than just getting a select find duplicates and  delete, like you would in excel for example.

AWESOME!! DIDN'T FIND ANY DUPLICATES IN MY LIBRARY THOUGH. PRAY, CAN I USE THIS ON MY ITUNES OR WINDOWS MEDIA LIBRARY?

In iTunes there is a option in settings to detect duplicates.

Suggested posts