Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Have premium membership, how do I download music?

Solved!

Have premium membership, how do I download music?

Hello everyone,

New to Spotify and just paid for my premium membership. Could someone tell me how I can download music to my PC?

Thanks!

129 Replies

I just signed up for premium believing that allowed me to purchase and download songs. I will switch back to the free service. I am not quite clear on the value of the premium service if you cannot buy songs.

Good choice - welcome 🙂

Spotify doesn't sell music but allows you to stream songs from one of the largest online catalogues. With an active Premium subscription, you can stream music to any device on which you have spotify installed at high quality in any country. You can also download music to your devices for offline listening. For the price it's so much better than buying downloads.

Have a read of the Guides which explain how to get the most out of your subscription and please ask if you have any more questions.

Hi - I have a premium account.  I can 'download' playlists to to play off-line on my Mac but this doesn't sync back to my iphone or ipad.  Do i have to download the lists 3 times over?  I have a number of lists ready to listen to off-line on my Mac and want to listen to the same ones on my iPad but nothing's happening.

Please help!

Yes you decide which music you want available off line on each device. Just select the playlist on your iPad and set it to be available offline. Synching files from a PC to a mobile device is used for local files (music you own).

This FAQ explains about listening offline but the others on that page are pretty useful too.

How long offline can a device be?

Also for music purchase drm free I use amazon mp3. Yes total drm free. Makes sense with interenet. Why anyone would purchase stuff with drm is beyond me when companies go out of business constantly.

You need to go online evry 30 days for a quick refresh.

Thanks. 

I think that spotify should re-word itself and not call it 'download' music...  You need to specify WELL BEFORE you try to hook a person into getting premium that they cannot DOWNLOAD the product. 

I've just bought spotify premium, thank heavens I was just on my first free month.

Does being able to download infinite music for £9.99 a month not sound to good to be true though?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

It is good,  especially for students at half the price (my daughter wants membership as part of her birthday prezzie),  but I have that niggling thought in the back of my head whispering "Just think how many albums you could buy for £120 (12 months rental)

The good thing about it is the extensive amount of music available on tap - some hard to get hold of. How can you convince me more about joining up after my trial as against just buying the music? My daughter gets it half price so will pay for hers. Still umming and arghing over myself...

Think of how many albums (that you would otherwise have to buy) that you could listen to and enjoy (over and over if you like) in that 12 month period.

Break it down, £10 in a month is maybe what 2 albums max if you are lucky buying them. Or listen to whatever you like, as many times as you like on Spotify for that price.

Peter

Well if you really want the song, I suggest that you go to iTunes or Amazon or Google play and purchase the song

I actually had no intention of commenting when I stumbled upon this discussion, but I was kind of shocked that people had any expectation of being able to own that much content for $9.99 a month. All you have to do to have access to a vast library of music pretty much anywhere you want is to download the Spotify app for Android on your phone or tablet.

There are downsides to this, the main one of course being that you may lose access to some content if the license runs out and is not renewed. There are downsides to iTunes as well, though, the main one, of course, being that you are really just licensing the music rather than owning it. For your $9.99, you could "buy" about 11 songs.

I find Spotify Premium to be a huge bargain and I couldn't be much happier with the service for the money, aside from a few minor quibbles. But then I'm old, so I can remember when my music library was limited to how many vinyl LPs I could squeeze into my room.

Don't quote me as I am pretty new. This is a little tricky. But I think what you need to do is find the album or song you want (not artist as that does not work). Then, next to the album or song you will see three dots in a circle. Click that and then click "add to" and "new playlist" and make a new playlist. Now in the left nav bar go to the playlist to show the list. Now, once the playlist is shown there should be a button on the right to upper right of the screen that says "available offline". Click that so it turns green.

One thing I realized after the fact is that you need to make download per device, so if you have a smartphone and PC, you need to do this process for both devices. I believe only playlist can be downloaded. So if you want to download an album, you have to create a playlist out of the album. 

@graybomeister - Are you having issues?

Peter

What devices  can I use for offline Spotify peminum membership for gym use?

@Kevin1938 - You need something that can run the Spotify application. So for mobile devices you are pretty limited to iPod Touches (other iPods won't work - also make sure the touch you buy supports iOS 6 or above for the latest Spotify app) or android devices (requires android 2.3 or above - I know Sony Walkman do have android devices but I've never had one to try Spotify on).

Peter

I just upgraded to spotify premium, I figured out how to download music offline, but everytime i click "add offline" it redirects me to the upgrade spotify page again, saying I have not ugraded. I already checked my bank statement, and ive been charged for the upgrade... Anyone had this issue before and can help??

@ethanbromberg - Is your account showing as premium on your online overview?

If it is showing as premium then you should be good to go! Sometimes a quick log out and back in again is needed. If you are still having issues, try a clean reinstallation of the application. 

If your account is still showing as free then you have not logged into the account you have upgraded. Double check your details, its amazingly easy to accidentally have two accounts, one with a Spotify username and another using your Facebook details. The username of the account you have upgraded is shown in the email receipt/confirmation. You need to log in using that username unless it is a number in which case you need to log in using your Facebook details. 

If you can't find your account or you have subscribed on the incorrect account, don't subscribe again as you might be billed twice, instead get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to lend a hand.

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.

Peter

Suggested posts