HiFi - Lossless - where are you

29 people liked this

HiFi - Lossless - where are you

futureperfect
Casual Listener

Dear Spotify, you set the standard how streaming can look like. The GUI and the user experience are best in class, only the sound quality is behind competitors like Tidal or Qobuz. And isn’t sound quality not what music is all about?

I would deeply appreciate to hear some news about if and when you might plan an additional option to stream music in a lossless format.

Thanks in advance

12 Replies
10 people liked this

Re: HiFi - Lossless - where are you

JontheC

Posts on this go back years. It's like they aren't "listening".....

Moving to another service soon, as there are options with growing content.

Love the Spotify interface but my ears are more mature than the service.

7 people liked this

futureperfect
Casual Listener

Fully agree, just read that Qobuz now offers a monthly ssubscription for their 24bit streaming service. The sound quality of their 16 Bit service is awesome. I still hope that Spotify wakes up and understands that there are a lot of people out there using Tidal or Qobuz who would love to habe the user experience of Spotify combined with the sound quality of Tidal or Qobuz. 

Never give up hope 

4 people liked this

USA414
Casual Listener

I agree, and just realized how significant the difference is between the 320kbit/s lossy, compressed tracks Spotify labels as "Very high" and actual lossless "Hi-Fi" tracks on Tidal. I've been a Spotify subscriber for a while now and am really struggling with whether I'll switch. The difference is even noticeable over my AirPods which are Bluetooth (lossy) and probably the lowest fidelity playback devices I have. I love Spotify's interface, curation, and diverse catalog but there's just so much more depth to a lossless recording which gets lost with a compressed track. It's been a while since I've listened to any of my CD's or FLAC files, but in my opinion the difference between Spotify's compressed audio and Tidal's lossless is almost like the difference between watching a good 1080p feed vs 4k. The differences are subtle, but noticeable. Fingers crossed that something materializes for both a lossless streaming option/tier and a dedicated Apple Watch app for Spotify, otherwise it looks like I'll be canceling my Spotify family account when my Tidal trial is over. Please just give us an upgrade option Spotify, I'm not expecting this for free!

2 people liked this

Hey there everyone,

Thanks for posting about this :)

It looks like this is something other Spotify users would enjoy seeing. In this case, we'd recommend heading here and adding your +VOTE and comments to contribute to the discussion. This way, you can keep up to speed as soon as we have any updates on the status of this idea.

Also, if you'd like more information on how the Ideas Exchange works, make sure to head here.

Hope this helps!

5 people liked this

USA414
Casual Listener

Thanks Katerina, I'm not sure about everyone else that commented on this post, but I voted for the feature which you provided a link for prior to posting here. I guess what concerns me or leaves me scratching my head is that there is clearly demand for a feature like this. At the time of this response, there were over 10,000 votes for the feature which I'd assume is significant. Also, by offering lossless music, Spotify could increase revenue with its existing customer base and most likely gain back those who left specifically for that reason. I know that after the week or so I've spent listing to Tidal, I'll be regretfully canceling my Spotify membership in November and switching. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Spotify eventually realizes how important this is. I know Spotify sent out some teaser notifications to some subscribers in 2017 offering this feature - which I'm assuming was to gauge market demand, but here we are a year later with no updates on when or if this will ever materialize. Anyhow, I really do love most things Spotify offers but I can honestly say that the lack of quality/fidelity outweighs all the other reasons why I might stay.

2 people liked this

futureperfect
Casual Listener

Same for me, voting was one of the first things I did but the last comment from Spotify is almost one year old. Which is a long time for a fast changing environment. 

Thinking about this reminds me of ABBA“s the winner takes it all. Guess the first big player like Spotify or Apple who offers lossless will gain a lot of new subscriptions from people moving over from Tidal, Qobuz or Deezer and after that it will be hard to convince someone to switch again.

4 people liked this

Pedro43
Regular

It's been 4 months since I canceled my Premium Family Spotify subscription.
I went to Tidal. I've had enough of waiting for a possible Spotify Hifi. For a year now, Spotify has focused on its free offer by modifying the features of its application (possibilities, design) but totally dropped paying subscribers.
Now, they announce a new interface reserved for paid subscribers, but that's not what will make me return to Spotify !!!!

The only thing that will make me return is a quality lossless or HighRes (Mqa or 24 bits).

4 people liked this

JeffreyQC

Does Spotify currently testing a Lossless version of Spotify?

Because I listened to Tidal, a few days ago, the difference is obvious!

I am an "audiophile", I only listen to CDs or vinyls, or my collection "ripped" in FLAC.

Spotify is very convenient for the kids, the spouse and me. But ... in the living room, on a good sound system, we "hear" although Spotify, is not the same quality as Tidal.

So when does Spotify plan to offer superior service? Something...really PREMIUM ? 

Do not get me wrong, I love Spotify, it's reliable, the interface is great and simple. But, I would like to have the choice to get a better quality. 

I would deeply appreciate to hear some news about if (me too!) 

Thx !

5 people liked this

AdvanTech

You can do better than that, Katerina. So many of us are looking for a lossless option.

SUGGESTED POSTS