Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Is Belgium entirely Flemish now ?

Is Belgium entirely Flemish now ?

Hello,

I connect to spotify from Belgium (either Brussels or Wallonia). For some reason, it seems that spotify decided that Dutch is OK for everyone in Belgium and displays the first page of the web site in Dutch only (not even a language switch allowed on that page) and it now sends me e-mails in Dutch.

It is not OK. Every major company that I know asks the language from the very first page and takes user language settings seriously. Please spotify, show a little respect for the millions non-Flemish Belgian users and fix this. 

10 Replies

Hey 🙂

I can understand your frustration with this. I am not sure about the email fix, but you can view the Spotify website in whatever language you like. For example, navigating to http://www.spotify.com/uk/ will show you english pages. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

There's also a country selector down in the bottom right of most spotify pages
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

No, I am "welcomed" with 3 successives pages exclusively in Dutch while it's not even an official language where I live. I don't even have the option to switch language before the 4th window. Spotify Belgium, what are you doing ? It's like you're acting as Flemish extremists. Please have some respect of your own fellow citizens.

Holy **bleep** ! Even Deezer detects my language setting right at the first time, while spotify can't EVEN AFTER I HAVE LOGGED IN ! What kind of **bleep** is this ?

Hi.  Were you able to switch the advert language to French?  We live in Wallonia as well, and while I am happy with the Spotify text in the app being in English (which I know I can change from my Settings), I do NOT like hearing Flemish adverts in between the songs.   How can I get Spotify to use French adverts?!?  Thanks for your help. 

It's not a valid answer. You may take example on big company like Apple which welcome the user to a langage selection ! In Belgium there are 2 main langages and you should take care of that. For me it's a reason to unsuscribe as I mention this problem for a while and no consideration is applied.

2019-01-08_10-46-45.png

Dear Spotify,

You don't seems to want to know the language preference of your userbase.

The only thing we can configure is country (and changing country require ending the contract and restarting).

Changing the language on your website is possible, but what hurt the most is your email... in Dutch.

Maybe I can handle it, but most likely I will ask you to stop sending ANY email if you cannot fix this... but what about my family.

You only have one chance to do a good first impression, and you sended flemish (dutch) email to my wife and kids, with no way for me to fix this or explain to you what language to use for me or the member of my family (yes, it is also possible that not everybody in the family has the same language preference).

They wanted audio streaming since a long time, they are happy receiving Spotify, but they would be as much happy with Deezer (at least for them French is normal) or any service with better respect our language.

So please, report this to marketing (they are the one that care about sending most of those email) management and developper. You need to add to user profile and family invitation a language value that can be modified. Remembering the country is not enough.

David Glaude

Yeah, very frustrated to get mails/informations or navigate on site by default in flemish /dutch (spoken by less than 1% in world)..So I moved to Apple Music..aware of that consideration.

seriously man.

60% of the people in Belgium speaks Dutch.

seriously.

Belgium is not World.. (read again my post ;))

Suggested posts