Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium subscribers beware! Spotify make it very difficult for you to cancel!

Premium subscribers beware! Spotify make it very difficult for you to cancel!

I write this as someone who has had the unfortunate experience of trying to cancel my subscription after getting Spotify premium.

Spotify themselves make it very, very difficult for you to cancel. It is an absolute nightmare. Some words of advice would be to not leave it to the last day or so before it runs out to try and cancel your subscription. You need to leave plenty of time to get it sorted before they take another £9.99 from your bank account.

I really wish I had read this forum BEFORE I had subscribed and seen the vast numbers of dissatisfied users unable to cancel....I would never have done it in the first place!

Don't be fooled into thinking you are inputting an incorrect password at the final hurdle when you are cancelling - you are not - they deliberately do this to make things awkward. You have to then fill in a contact form (which incidentally says could take 3 days to respond to - hence my earlier mention that you shouldn't leave it too late to start to cancel.)

Because it's not a direct debit, it can't be cancelled easily by your bank either. After speaking to my bank, the only way they could do it for me was to cancel my account and open a new one!

In the end, what worked for me was having to download a new internet browser and go through that. Luckily for me that worked, but I see from on here that that doesn't work for everyone.

I loved Spotify and was a big fan, and my cancellation was only going to be a temporary thing untill I had a bit more money. But now that's it. I'm done with Spotify for good. It's absolutely disgusting and to my mind is almost corporate theft what they are doing in making it virtually impossible to cancel.

Disgusting.

69 Replies

I agree:  BEWARE!  If you accept a free trial, you will have a hard time getting out of it before Spotify can charge you!  I thought I had canceled well before the trial ended.  Then I got very sick and didn't watch my credit card charges for about 6 months and found Spotify had charged me 6 times, once per month since the trial.  You will not be able to reach anyone at Spotify.  None of the numbers on Google for them works.  You will have to call your credit card company.  They will be familiar with Spotify.  They say they "deal with Spotify all day long!"  You can dispute the Spotify charges, and in my case, resolution was immediate because they are so familiar with the issues related to Spotify.  Have your credit card company block any future charges from Spotify.  Next, TRY to get your credit card information erased from your Spotify account (which you can't manage to close).  You might have to change your credit card number.  

Then in the future, do not accept any free trials from Spotify, it's a trap.  Personally, I wouldn't even use their free service because I think that lets them keep your payment information on record.  

If you remember your password, you can try to cancel, but if you don't remember your password, you will not be able to get it.  I have tried, and they require my password in order to send me my password!  If you do know your password, you can watch some YouTube videos on how to cancel Spotify.  There are many steps, and if you stop before the final one, whichever that one is, you will not have canceled, and you will be billed.  Spotify will not reimburse you!  You will have to rely on your credit card company for that.  

I hope this helps someone.

I have the same problem...
Mightmare to cancel...
I was refunded my 9.99 last month and thought premium was cancelled by Spotify.
Again, this month, charged 9.99 !!!
I want a refund again, but no telephone number and the links to cancel yourself do absolutely nothing !!!!

I have the same problem...
nightmare to cancel...
I was refunded my 9.99 last month and thought premium was cancelled by Spotify.
Again, this month, charged 9.99 !!!
I want a refund again, but no telephone number and the links to cancel yourself do absolutely nothing !!!!

I never received premium and now I can't cancel, either. I will make sure PayPal doesn't pay these thieves again. I guess that's the only solution. This "service" is **bleep**!

My experience exactly. Now I've wasted hours on this problem

simply bs. None of that works

Amen, bro!

Same **bleep** going on with me - and the Twitter account @spotifycares please - why can't we speak to an actual person. I had to change my credit card in order to stop payments coming out of my account. Ridiculous THIEVES!

I can not cancel my subscription it keeps saying I'm putting in the wrong password but I'm not. It's driving me crazy please help. 

THE SAME IS HAPPENING TO ME: THIS IS CALLED THEFT!!!

They actually got back to me and helped me get out. I think a lot of people were complaining and with Apple Music and iheart radio they don't want to lose customers.

My son signed up for the free trial and used premium for a few more months after the trial ended, we cancelled the subscription and were charged again, cancelled again because I thought maybe we did something wrong, you do not get email receipts or notices so who really knows if you cancelled or not.  Needless to say we were charged again, this time i took screen shots so I could validate the cancellation in case we were charged again and yes, we were charged again!  I logged into the account again and eventually found my way to customer service so we could "Chat" online, needless to say the CS rep blamed us for re-subscribing".  Initially her first line of defense was to say that because we updated our payment details we we were re-subscribe automatically, we never updated any payment details except for cancelling. She move on from that saying that we re-subscribed on 3 dates, all 3 dates being the payment due dates of the original subscription, how convenient is that, right?  She went on to say that the last usage was on Nov 8th, so I had to ask if we were paying for this service in arrears or in advance and of course we all know it is in advance, so who cares that it was used on Nov 8th if we paid for it.    I also verified that in order to re-subscribe to Premium you would have to re-enter your card number, we never re-entered a card number.  We love this app but they are thieves.

I not only want a refund for the service I have not used , but before I blast you guys on FB I suggest you provide me with the necessary document right now , that I need to cancel !

I used to love Spotify. I signed up for the Family Premium from the Premium to share the account with my family. The invitations I sent didn't work and we continued to share the same stream for a couple months. I contacted Spotify by email to request fixing the issue so I could get the service I was already paying for and for them to credit the difference between what they were charging and what I received. They will not give any credit due to the invitations being sent (but never used, because THEY DIDN'T WORK). They will lose more than just this one customer for a few bucks of customer service. #SpotifyCaresNOT

I subscribed to a trial and it appears it is under an account/e-mail that I can't seem to indentify. So, now I am out of luck! I have tried the guide to find other accounts, but I must of created this on my iPhone and there are no tips for that. 

I can find NO where that I can submit an e-mail directly to customer service. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to submit a question to customer service for Spotify? 

I have the same problem - but still cant stop them taking my money - This is now the 2nd month. How do you stop the money being taken ??

@Aggrieved wrote:

I write this as someone who has had the unfortunate experience of trying to cancel my subscription after getting Spotify premium.

Spotify themselves make it very, very difficult for you to cancel. It is an absolute nightmare. Some words of advice would be to not leave it to the last day or so before it runs out to try and cancel your subscription. You need to leave plenty of time to get it sorted before they take another £9.99 from your bank account.

I really wish I had read this forum BEFORE I had subscribed and seen the vast numbers of dissatisfied users unable to cancel....I would never have done it in the first place!

Don't be fooled into thinking you are inputting an incorrect password at the final hurdle when you are cancelling - you are not - they deliberately do this to make things awkward. You have to then fill in a contact form (which incidentally says could take 3 days to respond to - hence my earlier mention that you shouldn't leave it too late to start to cancel.)

Because it's not a direct debit, it can't be cancelled easily by your bank either. After speaking to my bank, the only way they could do it for me was to cancel my account and open a new one!

In the end, what worked for me was having to download a new internet browser and go through that. Luckily for me that worked, but I see from on here that that doesn't work for everyone.

I loved Spotify and was a big fan, and my cancellation was only going to be a temporary thing untill I had a bit more money. But now that's it. I'm done with Spotify for good. It's absolutely disgusting and to my mind is almost corporate theft what they are doing in making it virtually impossible to cancel.

Disgusting.

i need to cancel the spotify premium that is being charged to my Rogers account. I had the free spotify and was happy with that but now you have charged my account on both my phone numbers. Also my grandaughter signed up under my email address and did not have my authorization to do so 

That's why is better to have independent account (not register via. Facebook etc.).

Also I'm not worried about monthly billing anymore because I have just bought a 1 year Premium for 99gbp.

Peace of mind with unlimited music streaming. ❤️

so from this we realise you are an idiot then, that is all, what a waste of time reading this.

i have gone free, premium, family, cancelled and then gone back to premium with no issues. they do expect some minute intelligence online when you use it.

We have the same problem. 😞

I ALREADY CANCELLED MY SUBSCRIPTION using payment method of my globe service the same here in spotify account, I also emailed support spotify to end my subscription they replied me that Im no longer subcribed to them, but they keep on charging.. its so hard for me to keep on calling CS/Globeservice to waived the charges every month.
Its almost a year now, Im facing the same problem.
I regret that I subcribe the spotify.

So if your thinking to subcribe spotify think twice

Im not joking

Suggested posts