Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Related artists feature

Solved!

Related artists feature

Is it just me  - or has the related artists feature lost its way somewhat. I used to love using the feature to roll from one artist to another. Exploring more artists in the genre and seeing how one artist or genre may be connected to another. However these days the related artists often seemingly have no connection to the others in the list (even when trying to think outside the box).

67 Replies

Why is it called "RELATED ARTISTS" if it's just a list of bands that users have been listening "together"?

Please rename the "RELATED ARTISTS" to "PEOPLE WHO LISTENED THIS BAND ALSO LISTENED...." !!

if you know what I mean

I can understand what you are saying, although I'm pretty certain there is a probably a strong correlation between "related artists" and that listening data. Where it doesn't work in my eyes is when there is only a small amount of listening data and you get weird related artists - which is more annoying than the naming!

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

This is crap. My band plays folk (and we're from scandinavia), our related artists are almost exclusively scandinavian metal bands and we play aoustic folk/pop/rock (!!). This is where it fails, it's not really related if it just has som related listeners. This feature should be called "people who listened to this music also listened to.." or something. 

At first there was no related artists to my band on spotify, since it takes a while to gather the data i suppose. But we thought that when the feature appeared that people who likes folk could find us easier but not even other indie bands is in the related artists to the band x)

www.shipwreckers.se

www.shipwreckers.se

There is also an explanation from Spotify here:
http://www.spotifyartists.com/faq/#how-are-the-artists-on-the-radio-and-related-artists-populated

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks - very good information.

It seems to be a method that (for my opinion) has nothing to do with the music itself.

What we are seeing is a results of spotify users behaviour, social hype and pure coincidence.

I understand that it would be a lot more difficult to create list of bands with actual musical relation

(genre, composition of instruments, era, etc. etc)  to each other but still... could you even try.

The existing situation is worse for the small bands who would like to get noticed and have very

small audience. In worse case they end up being related to non related bands by coincidence and

thus ingnored by potential new fans.

How often is the "related artist" feature updated? I see months go by with little or no change.

It is terrible. Artists with the same/similar names get put together, or a band with the same name as another band will get lumped into their genre, despite being an entirely different kind of band in terms of music, attitude, etc. Unfair to indie bands looking to get discovered more easily, and just plain lame. As I said in a previous post: worse than Pandora. And I hate Pandora's "related artists/music" algorithm.

Related artists feature seems completely incorrect. I have a band page on Spotify and our related artists are empty and dead profiles with no music whatsoever. Have tried to get this resolved with Spotify but have gotten the generic response that related artists data is generated by users and that the algorithm looks to what people are listening to which makes no sense in this case as our related artists have no media uploaded. These empty band pages should be removed from Spotify. The metadata is clearly stale. Very frustrating and have gotten nowhere with the support team 😞

billy ray cyru

billy

I play Americana Music, several songs have explicit warnings, and my related artist are all christian worship artist...

what do you mean purchase/license the last fm algorithm? Are you referring to spotify purchasing this algorithm from last fm or are you referring to individual artists to make a last fm account and do something individually?

I can tell you that when I checked out the artist page for BNQT recently, a band made up of members of 4-5 different bands, none of the bands that the members are in the related artists page. The same happened when I was checking out Dawes' artist page. You'd think that other Taylor Goldsmith bands or projects by Dawes' other members would show up but they don't.  It looks like those would be the first to populate. I'm not sure what the relationship of the artists who do show up is.  

Does anyone know how the related artist differs from Artist Radio or Song Radio? I find that if I choose one of my songs, and then song radio I get a much better selection of similar sounding songs than my related artists which is completely out in left field to my genre.

Follow me

I've had same related artists since 2006.  And they are not related at all.  Sucks really.  So if you guys are just experiencing this in the last few days, consider yourself lucky.  I've had the same unrelated artists related to me for 11 years.  

Spotify has taken over my needs and I don't scrobble that much anymore,
since it doesn't work with chromecast. Last.fm is underfunded and outdated.

Hey Pete, that means that people really choose what bands are related? 

@Peter__

Follow for a follow

I signed up over 6 years ago.  I have never heard of any of my related artist.  And they aren't in the same genre.  I don't understand it.  

why does my album not have any realted artist tab?

Suggested posts