Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sexist Playstation Ad

Sexist Playstation Ad

I was recently listening to Spotify when an ad came on for playstation. It started out with a deep (from what I assume) male voice describing a new playstation system. Then, a female voice replied, "Great, I'll come over!". The male then replied, "Sorry, it's more of a guy's thing." Last time I checked, playstations are not made for one specific gender. This advertisement is sending the message to listeners that gaming is for men, and that it's all right to discriminate against others and not allow others into these male-dominated spaces because of their genders. While I can assume that this advertisement was marketed to male listeners, it came as a bit of a shock to me. I am surprised that Spotify would let such a blatantly prejudiced and sexist advertisement run on their app. Is there a way that I can find what ad this was and report it? 

6 Replies

THIS. My family was in shock when this commercial came on.... while the three of us (no guys in sight) were listening to Spotify via our PlayStation. 😕  Which we could magically operate without a male to walk us through these "guy things." 

So gross. And like you, we were surprised that Spotify ok'd that ad.

I was shocked too!! I thought maybe I was the only one who noticed I but low and behold. I hope spotify removes it as video games are for ALL genders!

I don't normally care about much, but - I'm your average pc gamer bro dude and I just heard this and it made me stop and ask, **bleep**?  Also, most male gamers prefer a partner that games with them as far as I know.  I feel bad for the females hearing this that feel discouraged from gaming for whatever reason.  Don't be offended by this foolish commercial that someone who no doubt knows nothing about both women or gaming made.

Honestly, I was listening to Spotify for work and this ad came on and I just stopped what I was doing and was shocked. I am a female gamer and I've dealt with sexual harassment and belittling in the gaming community (it has gotten MUCH better but still exists) for over 13 years. Just yesterday I was gaming and every time I tried to speak and be a part of the conversation this tool would say "OH, THE GIRL IS SPEAKING. THE FEMALE HAS SOMETHING TO SAY. WHAT DO YOU WANT FEMALE? ATTENTION?" or someting equally annoying and degrading. I spent half my life embarassed that I liked and played video games and kept it from my friends, or would refuse to speak in online games because I didn't want to be harassed if they knew I was female. Shame on Spotify AND for Playstation for allowing a stupid commercial like that and for supporting the ignorant and unfair belief that girls can't like games too. We can. And most times we're better than the boys.
If those companies wants to keep their listeners, I would take that commercial off immediately and apologize.

This ad is disgusting and incites discrimination. I heard it with a couple of male children who found it funny and had to explain how this is harmful, sexist, and potentially illegal. I don't understand how such a brand can think it's fine to broadcast this kind of messages. 

Any of you who like to play video game consoles? 🙂

Suggested posts