Sort by track number

Solved!
Highlighted
1 person liked this

Sort by track number

MikeHildebrand
Casual Listener

Hi

I'm totally brand new to spotify. If I have an album in a playlist, how can sort the songs in the playlist by track number and have the songs by in the order they were originally meant to be played?  For example Pink Floyd the Wall I have in a playlist, I want to resort the songs by the track number of the song 1, 2, 3, etc.

I can't see how this is done?

Thanks,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution! 1 person liked this

Re: Sort by track number

SplAciD
Casual Listener

Hello Michael.

From what I know, you presently can't sort you tracks by track-number, sorry to say.

You can get around it though, by either adding your songs one by one, in the order of the tracklisting (which you can find on Wikipedia, etc), to a playlist and then sort the tracks by time "added".

If the tracks you have are local files on your computer and you use the desktop app, I have found that if your tracks have metadata about their track-number added to them (in the file's properties), you can add them to a playlist and sort them by "nothing" (you tap one of the sorting options until the up/down-arrow and highlight of the sorting-tab disappears). This seem, atleast for me, to sort them by track-number. This might be a bit experimental, though. ^^

I hope that this might help you.

Sincerely

SplAciD

Don't Panic
11 Replies
Solution! 1 person liked this

SplAciD
Casual Listener

Hello Michael.

From what I know, you presently can't sort you tracks by track-number, sorry to say.

You can get around it though, by either adding your songs one by one, in the order of the tracklisting (which you can find on Wikipedia, etc), to a playlist and then sort the tracks by time "added".

If the tracks you have are local files on your computer and you use the desktop app, I have found that if your tracks have metadata about their track-number added to them (in the file's properties), you can add them to a playlist and sort them by "nothing" (you tap one of the sorting options until the up/down-arrow and highlight of the sorting-tab disappears). This seem, atleast for me, to sort them by track-number. This might be a bit experimental, though. ^^

I hope that this might help you.

Sincerely

SplAciD

Don't Panic

MikeHildebrand
Casual Listener

Thank you - I found also while a playlist you can drag and drop the music files in the order you would like.  It still would be nice if the program did it for you.  Does anyone from Spotify read these posts?

Peter__
Community Legend

They do but these forums are generally for community support. If you want to suggest it as a new feature, then head over to the Ideas Exchange and it will be reviewed from there ;) 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

1 person liked this

seropiea
Casual Listener

Solution doesn't work for me.  When I click "track" for example to arrange by track, it just keeps switching between alphabetical and reverse alphabetical.  I can never get it to sort by nothing and the up down arrow never goes away.  This is pretty frustrating, since I imported a live album, and listening to it out of order sounds weird when the next track sounds.

Joe
Community Legend

That sounds odd. What device and operating  system are you using and which version of the spotify client?

@seropiea wrote:

Solution doesn't work for me.  When I click "track" for example to arrange by track, it just keeps switching between alphabetical and reverse alphabetical.  I can never get it to sort by nothing and the up down arrow never goes away.  This is pretty frustrating, since I imported a live album, and listening to it out of order sounds weird when the next track sounds.

seropiea
Casual Listener

Windows 7 operating system

Spotify version 0.9.1.43.gca4c2c73

Device is iPhone 5

1 person liked this

Joe
Community Legend

You can't sort anything on the iphone (yet) but the desktop client should work just fine. If clicking on the heders doesn't cycle through up, down and no arrow, try a clean reinstall.following the steps here.

seropiea
Casual Listener

Worked.  Thanks.

Joe
Community Legend

Awesome :)

SUGGESTED POSTS