Announcements

15 hours a month limit in Japan?

Hi! I've used Spotify for free ever since I was in the Philippines but as soon as I moved to Tokyo last August I was struck when I found out that Spotify wasn't still available. Last week I was thrilled to find out that Spotify has launched in Japan. Until today when I somehow reached a limit of 15 hours a month of listening. I did a little searching on Google and found that Spotify has made Free listening limitless. Why am I having this 15 hours a month limit?

Hey @ChewyZauce

Thanks for your post on the Community.

Right now, Spotify Free users in Japan are limited to 15 hours of listening a month. This is when using the desktop app. On mobile, you're unrestricted with the amount of listening. If you wanted unrestricted listening on desktop, check out Spotify Premium 🙂

Thanks,

Jason

Comments
Jason
Status changed to: Not An Issue

Hey @ChewyZauce

Thanks for your post on the Community.

Right now, Spotify Free users in Japan are limited to 15 hours of listening a month. This is when using the desktop app. On mobile, you're unrestricted with the amount of listening. If you wanted unrestricted listening on desktop, check out Spotify Premium 🙂

Thanks,

Jason

Maaaana

Hi! I live in Japan and just resently downloaded Spotify after I finally recieved a invitation code.

I've been using it for about a few weeks but then told me I reached the monthly free time limit. I downloaded the Spotify app on both my mac and my ipad but I've been using Spotify on my iPad for most of the time. You mentioned that its unlimited on the mobile app but do you know why it still restricts me from using it on my iPad? (Cause I think it should be the mobile version) I hope you see this. Thanks!

Hi Jason,

Similar situation to @ChewyZauce (thanks for making the post). I've been using Spotify in the U.S. and experienced this for the first time. Why is there a 15 hour limit on desktop? I remember there being a 10 hour limit in the U.S. and we all remember how that went. Wouldn't you be re-creating the same arguments over here? Just looking for some answers and explanations.

same here with an iPad and jp account

sdgundamx

For those asking about the iPad version, it is treated exactly the same as the desktop verson.  This is why you can actually choose what to listen to (the mobile app version for phones doesn't allow you to choose songs from your library and plays random songs until you upgrade to Premium).

Like the rest of you, I am in Japan and just discovered the 15-hour trial BS.  It's utterly baffling why only Japan has it.  It's turned me completely off to using the service.  Their loss, I guess.  All the music I've been listening to I can get from other sources on the net, although not having it all in one place is kind of annoying. But c'est la vie.

Tora201jp

Same here. Appalled at the treament of Japan.  I know several people here who wont use it because of this. Why, Spotify?

cath_gams

Why though? What makes Japan so special?

Tora201jp

It seems that that 15 hour limit is suffdenly gone?? Don't know, but reinstalled it (after deleting due to the 15 hour stupid because Japan is "special" and "different") limit and all seems good now. No mention of it at all now on desktop.

Crossing fingers!

Phorakoko

I have this same problem on my iPad. I'm limited to very little hours in Japan. I listen to music for a week and Spotify tells me I have used my monthly free time. How can you fix this?? It's getting pretty annoying.

suth86

This is really stupid. You're trying to convert free users to premium by limiting how long they can listen. I get the logic but think about how much money you're missing out on from all those free users who would continue listening to all the ads. I would guess the average user might listen to up to 100 hours a month, you're missing out out on a lot of ad revenue.

I'm not interested in the fact I can listen unlimited on mobile