Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Music keeps un-downloading

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue 

I am soon unsubscribing to this app. I’m paying money for the premium and my songs keep un-downloading. This has happened at least 3 times or more now in the past year. Soon as I get some play list I like, I’ll go into the app on a day where I’m out of service and don’t have data. All the songs will be gone, unable to play because the download erased. Very very frustrating. Seeing how I’m paying for that service and not getting it. 

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reporting this and providing us all the relevant info. 

We've passed your details on to our developers and they have already rolled out several improvements to fix the experience reported. 

We are aware that some users do still experience issues with their downloads, but our tech teams weren't able to reproduce it and this seems to be affecting specific devices or setups, so we're unable to find a solution remotely.

We're continuously improving the app and optimizing it, so we recommend keeping an eye out for future updates to the app, but can't guarantee this will fix the issue.

For now, we'd like to provide some steps which we hope might help:

• Check out the steps on our support page here
  • Try disabling WiFi assist
  • Check for any settings that could affect the Spotify background data
  • Change the quality of the downloads in the Spotify app

We’d also recommend you try a clean reinstall, which will remove any corrupt data from your device. Just a heads-up, this will remove all your downloads and you'll have to download everything again for offline listening.

Comments
Elena

Hey there @Jamestuff!

Welcome to the Community and thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread.

If you still experience this, it might be caused by an issue with your device's cache. Not to worry, performing a clean reinstall of the app with the steps here should help solve this.

Keep in mind that you'll need to re-download your offline music and podcasts afterwards, hopefully for the last time. 

We'll be on the lookout for your update. Give us a shout if you have any further questions.

amd

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

(iPhone 7 PLus)

Operating System

iOS 13.7

My Question or Issue

Hello everyone. I downloaded some albums recently and listened to them offline. I attempted to listen to them offline today and noticed that many, but not all of them were showing as not downloaded. The little green downward arrow was grey instead of green, but all of the albums had the little green heart. Does anyone know why the happened and if there's anything I can do to prevent it in future?

Thanks.

Ivan

Hey there @amd

Help’s here!

Let us know if you observe the same after performing a clean reinstall of Spotify on your iPhone. This will resolve any cache-related issues on your device which might be causing what you experience.   

If this persists after the clean reinstall, try disabling any power saving or data cleaning settings on your mobile device. Make sure you try this since such features can often prevent the app from operating at full capacity.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.  

amd

Hi Ivan. Thanks for your reply. 

I haven’t tried the reinstall yet because I noticed on the albums in question that the green heart 💚 was still there. When I hit download, the albums downloaded in seconds. It was as if I needed to tell Spotify to reconnect with the song data on my phone. Strange and annoying, but For the moment it seems to be saving me from reinstalling and having to download all of music again. 

Mihail

Hey @amd,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

We're happy to hear that you got your downloads set up the way you want to! Keep in mind that the green heart means that the item has been added to your music library. This is an account wide setting and remains unchanged when you reinstall the app or log in on another device.

It's possible that some of the app files have been corrupted and causing the behavior you experienced. If it continues, we recommend that you follow the steps that @Ivan suggested. That way all files will get built up anew from the ground up.

Hope this info is useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

amd
Thanks Mihail.
Eklectik

Plan

Premium family

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy S10e

Operating System

Android 

My Question or Issue

It seems every couple of months my entire download Library gets wiped from my device that I have to re-download everything all over again. I usually don't discover this until I am in an area with no service and I go to play songs that I know are downloaded on my device, and nothing plays because they are suddenly gone. This is just one more problem in a growing list of issues that I've had with Spotify over the last year. Extremely frustrating! Is there something I need to do to make this stop happening?

MooMoozlebee

Plan

Premium

United Kingdom

Device

Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify app regularly but randomly 'deletes' music that has been downloaded for offline use. Usually this occurs with no input from me as the user at all, however the latest event occurred today: I unchecked a playlist so it was no longer downloaded, and the app deleted all my downloaded music, even that which was in a different playlist and still marked for offline use.

Secondly, redownloading songs takes an age to do. The app downloads speedily for the first hundred or so songs, then seems to hang or freeze for five or ten minutes, before downloading quickly for several songs and then freezing again for another ten minutes, and so on and so on.

My WiFi speed is 300mbps confirmed download with 200mbps upload. I have over 125gb of free space on my internal storage and I am trying to redownload a total of just over 3,000 songs.

Yes I have tried restarting the app.

Yes I have tried clearing the cache.

Yes I have tried uninstalling and a clean install of the app.

Yes I have tried to use a different WiFi network.

Yes I have tried a different device.

Yes I have even created a new account.

I have tried everything that Spotify forums and the help desk people can suggest, and the problem is persistent and has been for a very long time.

I travel alot so require a reliable music service that operates offline for when I have no signal. Spotify used to be a reliable service but now has caused me to look elsewhere for an alternative from a competitor. For old times' sake however, are there any Spotify people able to acknowledge this issue and provide assistance?

Thanks.

-HelloSunshine-

This is an ongoing problem, looks like.

It happens to me too, and apparently a ton of other people dating back to at least 2016

-HelloSunshine-
If you know you're going to be traveling, the only thing that *might* prevent this is to turn off auto-updates for apps on your phone. This seems to be a (very) long-standing problem, and from what people are saying it seems to be triggered whenever the app is updated.