Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Music keeps un-downloading

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue 

I am soon unsubscribing to this app. I’m paying money for the premium and my songs keep un-downloading. This has happened at least 3 times or more now in the past year. Soon as I get some play list I like, I’ll go into the app on a day where I’m out of service and don’t have data. All the songs will be gone, unable to play because the download erased. Very very frustrating. Seeing how I’m paying for that service and not getting it. 

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reporting this and providing us all the relevant info. 

We've passed your details on to our developers and they have already rolled out several improvements to fix the experience reported. 

We are aware that some users do still experience issues with their downloads, but our tech teams weren't able to reproduce it and this seems to be affecting specific devices or setups, so we're unable to find a solution remotely.

We're continuously improving the app and optimizing it, so we recommend keeping an eye out for future updates to the app, but can't guarantee this will fix the issue.

For now, we'd like to provide some steps which we hope might help:

• Check out the steps on our support page here
  • Try disabling WiFi assist
  • Check for any settings that could affect the Spotify background data
  • Change the quality of the downloads in the Spotify app

We’d also recommend you try a clean reinstall, which will remove any corrupt data from your device. Just a heads-up, this will remove all your downloads and you'll have to download everything again for offline listening.

Comments
Ivan

Hey there @Eklectik and @-HelloSunshine-

Help’s here!

Issues with downloaded content are usually related to the cache of the affected device. In such a case it's a good idea to perform a clean reinstall of Spotify. This will remove any corrupted cache data from previous installations and update your app to the latest version. 

If this still happens after the clean reinstall, try disabling any power saving or data cleaning settings on your mobile device. Alternatively, you can try authorizing Spotify to run without restrictions despite the mentioned settings being enabled. Make sure you try this since such features can often prevent the app from operating at full capacity.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here in case you need any further help with this.

Alex

Hi there @MooMoozlebee,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Offline music.

Could you give us a bit more detailed info about the troubleshooting you've done so far:

• Roughly how many songs are you trying to download?
  • What happened when you try downloading music on a different account - do the songs disappear at one point; are they playable or grayed out?
  • Do you use an SD card on your phone?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply, and we'll do our best to help out if possible 🙂

Ivan

Hey @amd

Hope you're doing great today. 

We haven't heard from you in a while so we decided to bump the thread. 

Let us a know if you still experience issues with this or if it runs okay now. 

Stay tuned! 

Anomial

Hey guys,

For the past 3-4 months some of my songs or more often entire custom playlists have deleted themselves instead of remaining downloaded (for understanding the playlist still exists, it is only not downloaded for when I check my library on phone while offline). I have checked some spotify information and no, my total number of downloaded or even listed number of songs does not exceed 10,000 and is instead around 1,2k. I have raised this problem on a reddit spotify sub and have gotten response that many others have had this problem as well. If you are reading this and are a member of the developer team please look into this because it is often frustrating and it is slowly getting to the point where I might swap to a different music service provider because of this on-going issue.

Mihail

Hey @Anomial,

Thanks for reaching out and searching for the answer you need here.

We're sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your downloads. We've recently rolled out an update that introduces new fixes and improvements. Could you make sure that your app is up to date using the steps here? If that doesn't fix things, we'd appreciate it if you share the exact version you see in the app, as well as the make, model and OS version of the device you're experiencing this on.

Keep us posted, we’ll keep an eye out for your reply.

Anomial

Hey, my apps have been on auto-update the whole time. Spotify version 8.5.86.739, Iphone Xs 64 GB, iOS 14.2.

SSMB

This isn’t a new issue so please stop addressing it like it is a new issue with a simple modification of deletion reinstallation, “cache” deletion etc etc. I’ve trouble shot this with you before and it’s still occurring over and I’ve. Ive too had enough.  I will be unsubscribing from Spotify in the near future if this truly isn’t addressed technically through the application. It is a problem on your end. Not only is it frustrating but you make it sound as if it’s normal. It’s not... the application shouldn’t be doing what it’s doing. I get the sense this may be a major rewrite to the code and that’s why you avoid the real response/answer. Furthermore, you’re continually rewriting information to my phone and other phones. The phone is a computer at its barebones. By doing this you can cause memory failure because all memory fails eventually and one of those factors is rewrites. Fix it....

Peter

Hey there @SSMB,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

We understand why this can be upsetting. Rest assured, we're here to help.

When this happens, it's usually related to a hiccup with your device's cache. This can be due to a bad connection, an optimization app, or an interruption in the download. A clean reinstall of the app usually helps to sort this out.

We also recommend making sure to disable any cache-clearing app or function, have a stable connection while downloading your music, make sure that you have enough storage space available, and that your app and OS are up to date.

You can find more info about your downloads in this article.

If none of the above steps resolved the issue, do let us know so we can take a closer look.

Cheers!

I get an error message that I have reached my limit of downloaded songs on my iPhone. I have unliked songs and removed the download, but the downloads are still there, even when I restart my phone. How do I remove downloads?
vekspec
Literally happened AGAIN, echoing SSMB, this isn't a new issue related to song limits or cache. It's an on-going issue that's on your end.