Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Music keeps un-downloading

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue 

I am soon unsubscribing to this app. I’m paying money for the premium and my songs keep un-downloading. This has happened at least 3 times or more now in the past year. Soon as I get some play list I like, I’ll go into the app on a day where I’m out of service and don’t have data. All the songs will be gone, unable to play because the download erased. Very very frustrating. Seeing how I’m paying for that service and not getting it. 

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reporting this and providing us all the relevant info. 

We've passed your details on to our developers and they have already rolled out several improvements to fix the experience reported. 

We are aware that some users do still experience issues with their downloads, but our tech teams weren't able to reproduce it and this seems to be affecting specific devices or setups, so we're unable to find a solution remotely.

We're continuously improving the app and optimizing it, so we recommend keeping an eye out for future updates to the app, but can't guarantee this will fix the issue.

For now, we'd like to provide some steps which we hope might help:

• Check out the steps on our support page here
  • Try disabling WiFi assist
  • Check for any settings that could affect the Spotify background data
  • Change the quality of the downloads in the Spotify app

We’d also recommend you try a clean reinstall, which will remove any corrupt data from your device. Just a heads-up, this will remove all your downloads and you'll have to download everything again for offline listening.

Comments
searcher8

This happens to me too, roughly every few weeks. I mainly use spotify on my phone when I'm driving and don't have easy access to a wi-fi network, so when it happens I'm not able to listen to my music for the trip, which is beyond annoying. Anyone have any idea how to stop this?

jnorth87

Spofity version 8.5.83.1246

iOS 14.4

iPhone 11 Pro

FrontFlipper

Spotify Version 8.6.0.830

Android 10

Samsung Galaxy S9

Tried 3 different SD Cards, Tried downloading to local storage (can only do one playlist with limited storage) tried uninstalling spotify, tried clearing cache, did a factory reset on my phone.

This keeps happening to me each and every day, will download all my playlists at night ((((30+GB)))), and the next day randomly it will show as it needs to be redownloaded.....

The only work around I have found is to go "offline" but that only lasts so long, every so often it will say that I am "offline" and need to "go online" when trying to access the app, and I am forced to reinstall the app to get logged back in and redownload everything all over again......................

F ME

I am googling Spotify alternatives as I type.

ismailkahraman

Redmi 7A

Android 10

The issue is persistent, albums are un-downloaded randomly, moreover some songs from several playlists are undownloaded as well.

franzi_2405

Samsung Galaxy S8 with Android 9

This happens every day. Every time I open Spotify single songs are undownloaded and the app takes ages to reload them or gets stuck entirely with no way to cancel the process.

I've already done a normal reinstall, a clean reinstall, cleared all app data and cache multiple times, switched from SD card to local storage and yet the issue keeps happening. My mom now has the same issue on her phone, which is an entirely different model. It would be nice if this could be fixed or if anyone could at least say what the issue exactly is because it's getting kind of annoying at this point that I have to re-download songs every day without any reason

aka_Buzz

Spotify Ver 8.6.2.774 (freshly removed/freshly reinstalled) - Premium Subscription

Spotify 24.3 GB currently tagged to download for off-line playing - downloads were re-toggled and re-downloaded after Spotify App was freshly removed/freshly reloaded

Spotify has been set to download on Wi-Fi only as otherwise it constantly causes cellular overages

Samsung Galaxy S8

Android Ver 9

SanDisk 256GB Ultra Plus Micro (fresh/new/formatted/operational/verifiable)

Stored media previously downloaded are re-downloaded on a near constant and continuous basis. Re-download is triggered every time the Spotify Application is opened. Stored media that was previously known to have been downloaded "disappear" once "Offline Mode" engaged. Having to reengage the Spotify Servers every thirty days in order to "keep-alive" an active Premium Subscription is reasonable ... to have to do so on a daily basis is not.

There is no known Android cache "self-clearing/auto-clearing" Application or Script in use on this phone. If Spotify has evidence of such an Android Application or Script integral to Android Software then Spotify needs to be forthcoming about where it can be found and how to adjust it so that the Spotify Application is not negatively affected.

I am with other Users here in saying that I am not receiving the Service that I am paying for and to which I was promised.

Ivan

Hey there @aka_Buzz

Thanks for providing us with the required details.  

We'll just need to collect some more info from you since our team has deployed a fix for offline listening in Spotify version 8.6.2. 

Could you let us know if there's a specific timeframe when you experience this since the 8.6.2 update?

Also, can you provide us with some steps that will let us reproduce what you've encountered?

Looking forward to your reply. Enjoy your day! 

yellow160

Just aka_Buzz?

Steps to reproduce go something like this:

1) Start Spotify app on phone when you REALLY want to listen to your music

2) Notice that all your downloaded music has been removed again.

OR

2) Notice that for some reason Spotify is re-downloading a random selection of tracks (at the moment from a specific single playlist that I've downloaded as a long-term test).

It would be much more beneficial if you provided suggestions or options for us to gather information that might be of use to you in diagnosing this problem - like maybe having the app log its activites.

preshybabyXO

Plan- Premium

Device- Infinix Smart 3 Plus

Device OS- Android 9

This is my first time using this app and I must say this is a very bad first impression

Since I started downloading songs for offline play, my downloaded songs keep re downloading each time I close the app and reopen it and it's very frustrating. I'd like for your team to look into this issue because it's becoming annoying. @Ivan @Jamestuff @yellow160 

Xenia

Hey there folks,

Thanks for bearing with us while we continue to look into this!

In order for us to be able to get to the root cause of this issue, it'd be great if everyone who is experiencing this can share the details we've asked for, so that we can investigate this further:

• Affected device(s) - make/model and OS version
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Is the behavior always the same?
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies - Thanks!