Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Music keeps un-downloading

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue 

I am soon unsubscribing to this app. I’m paying money for the premium and my songs keep un-downloading. This has happened at least 3 times or more now in the past year. Soon as I get some play list I like, I’ll go into the app on a day where I’m out of service and don’t have data. All the songs will be gone, unable to play because the download erased. Very very frustrating. Seeing how I’m paying for that service and not getting it. 

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reporting this and providing us all the relevant info. 

We've passed your details on to our developers and they have already rolled out several improvements to fix the experience reported. 

We are aware that some users do still experience issues with their downloads, but our tech teams weren't able to reproduce it and this seems to be affecting specific devices or setups, so we're unable to find a solution remotely.

We're continuously improving the app and optimizing it, so we recommend keeping an eye out for future updates to the app, but can't guarantee this will fix the issue.

For now, we'd like to provide some steps which we hope might help:

• Check out the steps on our support page here
  • Try disabling WiFi assist
  • Check for any settings that could affect the Spotify background data
  • Change the quality of the downloads in the Spotify app

We’d also recommend you try a clean reinstall, which will remove any corrupt data from your device. Just a heads-up, this will remove all your downloads and you'll have to download everything again for offline listening.

Comments
yellow160
This is pretty poor. I can see how remote solution finding might be
difficult and that's exactly why you should be enhancing your product to
produce better logging/debugging information so that you can gather
diagnostics about what YOUR app is doing to MY data. By logging/auditing
correctly you will be able to compare results and see what is happening.

How can you continuously improve and optimise if you don't know what the
cause of the problem is?
amd

Wow! After all this time and all these reports by users everywhere on all sorts of devices, that's the best Spotify can do? These are only the users who are aware of the problem. I would say a lot more people are affected, but they probably haven't realised it yet.

Please stop patronising us with the 'clean install' suggestion. IT DOESN'T SOLVE ANYTHING! Your app isn't fit for purpose.

I've given up and moved to an alternative music streaming service of the
fruit variety. It has some shortcomings compared with Spotify. The main one
being it's music discovery is not as usefully implemented IMHO. That said I
have not had any issues transitioning and find it easy to use and..... my
music remains downloaded which is exactly what I want.
Peter1945
Hi,

Totally agree, we are paying for a service we are not receiving and their response for a very long time has been laughable, especially the reload option which is completely useless.
ksh977

Here they go again. Spotify puts the onus on the users to endure useless exercises like reinstalling the app.  The reinstall process could be made a lot easier if Spotify really cared. But since the reinstall has never fixed the problem in the past I will pass on it. This is amateurish at best on the part of Spotify and if they had any standards they would be extremely embarrassed.

blorenzen

I've had spotify for about 4 months, and I've yet to get through a week without 7 or 8 playlists being undownloaded.  I've re-installed the app 2x, gone through all the settings as recommended, and it's only gotten marginally better (music does stay on for a few days now).  I've noticed that stuff gets undownloaded when I go back ONLINE for a period, and then when I go offline again, several of my downloads are no longer there.  I also notice that when I go back ONLINE, a band will appear across the top of the app showing that several hundred songs are being downloaded (literally, it will say something like 'downloading 211 of 265 songs'...) even though I didn't do any downloads at that moment.  It's as if the minute I go back ONLINE, the app starts re-downloading my music, but incompletely.  At this point, it's really not worth the $15 I pay for the family plan since using offline is necessary due to my working remotely.  I've loved the music choice, but it probably better serves people who don't rely on offline.  Doing my homework on other music apps so I don't make the same mistake twice, never had this problem with Google Play.  

meetdapete

This happened to both my iPhone X and iPhone 12 Pro regardless of iOS version. Something I noticed is that when I was in Singapore with constant Wi-fi connection, my downloaded songs were never “undownloaded” and always had green arrows.

However, now that I am back overseas where most of my connection is only mobile data (including for downloads), this problem seems to occur everyday, deleting at least 100 songs a day.

Perhaps that’s something that can be looked into? This problem has been around for over 3 years

Daidin
Hi
Would you let me (us) know results of your research.?  I've tried Amazon Music (included in Prime)  but the selection is pretty poor, **bleep** Irish Traditional/World Music.  Even popular artists have a limited selection of albums.  There is an Unlimited version.  I'll try the trial of that.
SlickNick79

I have a problem with downloading also. Everything I want downloaded is going to internal storage even though I have it set to go to external.  So I have had to stop it because it was taking up to much of my phones memory. Why have a feature to download to an external SD card that does not actually download to the card. It would be even nicer if the whole app would download external. But I'll take what I can get. Please make it the music I want downloaded goes to the external. For real this time.

jjj90

"We're continuously improving the app and optimizing it"

No you aren't! You're continuously stripping it back and ruining it. It amazes me how many BASIC  features the app either lacks entirely or doesn't do sufficiently. All of my music randomly needing to be downloaded again is BASIC.