Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Music keeps un-downloading

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue 

I am soon unsubscribing to this app. I’m paying money for the premium and my songs keep un-downloading. This has happened at least 3 times or more now in the past year. Soon as I get some play list I like, I’ll go into the app on a day where I’m out of service and don’t have data. All the songs will be gone, unable to play because the download erased. Very very frustrating. Seeing how I’m paying for that service and not getting it. 

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reporting this and providing us all the relevant info. 

We've passed your details on to our developers and they have already rolled out several improvements to fix the experience reported. 

We are aware that some users do still experience issues with their downloads, but our tech teams weren't able to reproduce it and this seems to be affecting specific devices or setups, so we're unable to find a solution remotely.

We're continuously improving the app and optimizing it, so we recommend keeping an eye out for future updates to the app, but can't guarantee this will fix the issue.

For now, we'd like to provide some steps which we hope might help:

• Check out the steps on our support page here
  • Try disabling WiFi assist
  • Check for any settings that could affect the Spotify background data
  • Change the quality of the downloads in the Spotify app

We’d also recommend you try a clean reinstall, which will remove any corrupt data from your device. Just a heads-up, this will remove all your downloads and you'll have to download everything again for offline listening.

Comments
Halify

Devices:  Samsung A71 

Version: Android 11

Spotify Version 8.6.26.897

Subscription Service:  Premium

Ok so woke up to my music downloading again 2000 songs. 

I have my Music saved to my SD card on my phone and not internal storage 

Hight speed Samsung 128GB card

Kurt47

I work offshore so often have limited Internet so the Option to have a downloaded playlist was amazing.

What is not amazing is the fact that Spotify randomly deletes my entire downloaded library at random intervals.

What I have noticed recently is that every time I restart my phone ( Galaxy S20) the Spotify app decides to kick me out and asks me to sign in again. Once I have signed in - presto all my music has been deleted again.

To say this is Frustrating is an understatement, especially as I have to now try download my playlists/podcasts on a foreign Sim card. Paying for the data to download 20g of music once a week is ridiculous.!

I am at the stage where I would rather use my Ipod to listen to music as atleast I know the music I put on there in 2016 will still be there unlike my Spotify downloaded music.

I have done a clean re install

I have cleared the cache

I deleted the Spotify file on the SD card

This also happened on my Older Galaxy S9 phone too

I have tried all options on the forum and still no luck.

Seeing this many people complain about the same thing points a very large finger at Spotify, a finger they need to stop pointing at its users/customers.

The main reason I moved to Spotify was because of the Joe Rogan Experience, and I am now looking at other ways of listening to it - ones that dont not involve Spotify their lack of addressing issues!

salmidach
I've found that if you change the quality of the download to high, it stops
the re-downloading of songs.
CochonSordide

Plan

Premium Duo

Country

Sweden

Device

Motorola Moto G30

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

I downloaded all my playlists to the external SD card. When I restarted the phone or restarted the app (I have done both) all the playlists have started to download again even though the old download is still taking up space. The app sais the previous download is other apps taking up the space.

OlympicAssEater

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Motorola G Power 2020

Operating System

Android 11

I have Motorola G Power 2020, 128GB micro sd, and Android 11. I have 645 total songs downloaded for offline use and listen. I put Spotify into offline mode as well. When I restart the phone, shut down the phone, or randomly happen when I toggle offline mode off, all my playlist offline downloaded gone, and I cannot login into the app anymore unless I reinstall Spotify because the app keeps saying I am currently in offline mode. PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE! 

Thoracias

Well I came here to find a solution to this problem of Spotify randomly deleting my songs and spending hours and internet usage redownloading them... How depressing that this has been going on for a couple years at least and nothing has been done about it. I live in a very mountainous rural area where wifi is spotty at best. That's the main reason I pay for this service. Well, I'm about done. At this point I can go back to using a flash drive for my car music for free. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and I'm not doing this again.

Moto G Power, Android

Premium Spotify member

Dave147

I am also having this problem. I download a playlist, and then at some point days or weeks later when I am off-line, I go to play it and some or all of the songs are no longer present on my phone.

This is a critical feature for me.

As a software architect I understand the difficulty of troubleshooting issues that cannot be reproduced internally, but Apple supports on device app logging as well as cloud integrated app logging. Surely after so many years and so many reports of this issue the development team could implement more robust logging to troubleshoot why this continues to happen for some users.

and please don’t respond with the Kafkaesque helpdesk troubleshooting steps that everyone else has tried which have resulted in zero resolution. It’s an insult.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, 128 gigs, 40 gigs of free space, Offload unused apps is disabled. 

venom400

>I’m paying for that service and not getting it

YEARS of payments from what, thousands of users? 

venom400

Mine did it yesterday and today following Spotify and Google Assistant/Home choking each other out because I said "play music on my phone" /"in the living room" " song by artist"

most of the time it fails all of those commamds, then spotify deletes all my music.

doing this to thousands of users that pay for service

venom400

Oh wait no, now its just deleting every time the phone is turned off. Amazing, absolutely fascinating

i paid to be in this frustration right now, wow i need a new music service