Plan

Premium

Country

Italy 

Device

Amazon Echo Dot - Italy

Operating System

My Question or Issue

After 5 songs (playlist, album or other) Amazon Alexa stop music and I have to start again music using voice, Spotify app or Alexa app. If during this 5 songs I skip the track no problem for other 5 songs and at the end of the 5th stops again. From other devices no problem at all. The Amazon support don't know how to solve the problem. They are analyzing it and suggest also to contact Spotify. Any ideas?

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the recent comments and examples. Rest assured these have all been passed along! 

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend you follow the steps below, if this is something you're experiencing:

• Restart your router
  • Reinstall the app on your mobile device
  • Reinstall the Alexa app
  • Reset the Alexa dot (read here how)
  • Relink your Spotify account to the Alexa app. You can see here how

Many thanks for bearing with us, while this is being looked into!

Comments
CeriMit

I have managed to find a fix for this issue in my case.  Inspired by another post on here I looked into the Multicast settings on my router and WiFi setup (Draytek VDSL router and Netgear Orbi RBK13 WiFi boxes).  

In the Netgear WiFi settings I enabled IGMP Proxying by unselecting ”Disable IGMP Proxying".

Since this change Alexa has behaved playing Spotify and also the problem of having to ask multiple times for Alexa to start playing has improved.

Hope this helps someone, or gives the Devs something to look into 🙂

japandan1

I posted here about a month ago, with my solution of using the new eero routers with wifi 6. Just dropping in to say that it has been working this whole month with no problems. Reading up on wifi 6, it seems that the new wifi standard does better at communicating with multiple devices at the same time. When wifi 5 routers came out in 2014, people on average had 5 internet connected devices per household.  Now in 2020 we have dozens if not more in a household. 

If spending money on new routers isn't attractive, one thing that people could try is to disconnect all wifi devices in your house that aren't the echos and try to see if the problem persists. At least you could eliminate wifi congestion as a cause by doing this if the problem remains. If you find that spotify works better on your echos with less devices on your home wifi network, an upgrade to a wifi 6 router may help. 

*pro tip: if you upgrade your router, make the ssid name and the password the exact same as your old one. This way all your devices including your echos will just connect to the router/internet without you having to change the ssid and password for each device in your house. 

Pocketketchupq

Same here today it started to work again. Have been listening the whole day to Christmas music!

Chadandcaren

I am so thankful for the posts from @In2survive and @CeriMit which helped me fix this issue. I've spent countless hours trying to solve this over the past year or so.  In my case, I have a Ubiquiti Unifi mesh wifi setup, but the resolution is essentially the same.  IGMP snooping is not enabled by default, but is required for the group multicasting to work correctly.  Since making the change 4 days ago, I've played Spotify to my Alexa group for hours without issue.  Hope this helps some others get back to enjoying their music!

mlb14

Need to vent: I cannot even begin to tell you how sick of this I am. This has been going on for YEARS! I have had all the problems mentioned in this thread and many others -- songs randomly stop in mid-play, the app says they are playing but no sound comes out of any speakers, Alexa multi-room groups randomly disappear and reappear (right now Spotify isn't recognizing any of them), etc. I have tried all the solutions mentioned here, none work. What the **bleep** kind of programmers do they have working at Spotify that they announce features that clearly don't work for thousands of users, we buy equipment and subscriptions based on those promises, users report (and report and report) the problems, and they do nothing about it for years? I don't get it. I've upgraded the routers (currently Orbi), kept all software, firmware, and apps updated, restarted everything multiple times, changed settings, deleted and reinstalled, power cycled, all many times. Sometimes things will work for awhile and then stop again. Right now, nothing I've done is working. I suppose I have to go all around my house yet again and unplug and replug everything. This has taken unbelievable amounts of my time and been a daily source of frustration. It really is incredible that these multi-billion dollar companies can't get their acts together. 

Shmully

Have been very annoyed by this issue for months. Thrilled that @CeriMit  suggestion to enable IGMP snooping worked for me (like @Chadandcaren I’m using Ubiquiti Unifi Wifi). Much easier than scrap everything and reinstall suggestion too. 

I’d like to see this step added to the official guidance on this issue. 

jakejwalton

Hey Spotify when are you going to fix this? It’s really poor!

bumbollini

I'm having the same issue.  Anywhere from 3+ songs, and the stream stops.  I've reset the Amazon Echo devices, reset the routers, done all the other "fixes", nada.

This began yesterday, about the time Apple had problems.

If I stream directly from Amazon to the Echo devices, that works fine.

Doesn't matter if I'm streaming to just one Echo device or multiple devices, the same result - a few songs, and then it stops.  And I can't continue, repeat, resume - nothing works.

Fenvarien

Hello everybody,

I had the same problems but I found an easy fix, that solved it for me and works for around 2 weeks now. 

My Echo is named Wohnzimmer (living room) and was located in the room Wohnzimmer (living room) in the Alexa App . After I deleted the room Wohnzimmer in the Alexa App the Problem vanished. Try to avoid name conflicts, it may help you too. 

Best regards,

Cornelius

lukevenable

I FINALLY found a solution! 

I switched to YouTube Music 🙂