Plan

Premium

Country

Italy 

Device

Amazon Echo Dot - Italy

Operating System

My Question or Issue

After 5 songs (playlist, album or other) Amazon Alexa stop music and I have to start again music using voice, Spotify app or Alexa app. If during this 5 songs I skip the track no problem for other 5 songs and at the end of the 5th stops again. From other devices no problem at all. The Amazon support don't know how to solve the problem. They are analyzing it and suggest also to contact Spotify. Any ideas?

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the recent comments and examples. Rest assured these have all been passed along! 

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend you follow the steps below, if this is something you're experiencing:

• Restart your router
  • Reinstall the app on your mobile device
  • Reinstall the Alexa app
  • Reset the Alexa dot (read here how)
  • Relink your Spotify account to the Alexa app. You can see here how

Many thanks for bearing with us, while this is being looked into!

Comments
japandan1
Visitor

**UPDATE** Bummer, but the below solutions only worked for a couple days. If Spotify staff @Katerina  is reading this, the problem seems to be buggy behavior in Spotify Connect when the app is changing songs to the next song in a playlist.  Often times previously played songs are displayed on your app's interface although the echo has proceeded to the next song on the playlist. 

For example, I have a 4 song playlist with song A, B, C, and D.  The echo will be playing song C, but the apps say I'm still on song A or B.  If I click next song on the app while song C is playing or has finished and is "frozen" to go to song D, then it will start playing song C again from the top.  It seems that Spotify hands off control to the echo, but there's a disconnect on "where" you currently are on the playlist between the 2 apps. This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does happen, it 100% always occurs at the end of a song.  It's as if something is preventing Spotify from going to the next song. **END UPDATE**

Ok guys, I had the same problem but after talking to Amazon customer service and going through some steps I was able to fix it. Here's what I'm using

Devices: Mac (OSX Mojave), Galaxy S10  Android Pie, Echo, Echo dot in multiroom setup. 

Here's what we did

1) Update all device software to the latest. You can also ask Alexa, "update software" to see if you're running the latest software on the echo itself. 

2)Sign out and sign back in of all amazon stuff. Desktop website, mobile app, and alexa mobile app

3) Disable and re-enable the spotify connect skill : Open Alexa app > Select 3 Dashes on the Top Left > Select Skills > Select Your Skills > Select Spotify > Disable > Enable/ Link

4)Delete multi room group, remake it. Open Alexa app >devices on the bottom right> speaker groups> click on problem group, trashcan icon on top right. Then, push plus bottom on the top, and follow instructions to remake group. 

Lastly, the amazon rep was adamant that they do not stop  third party audio from continuous play( for lack of user input or any other reason) as other commenters have suggested.  I've been finally enjoying a couple hours of continuous play from my playlists. Hope this helps some of you!

Katerina
Spotify Legend

Hey folks,

We haven't heard back from you in a bit.

Just to confirm, are you still experiencing this?

If you are, could you try to the steps @japandan1 mentions here and see if that helps?

Rest assured that our tech teams are still looking into this so it will be useful to let us know how it goes - we'll make sure to pass it on.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies, thanks!

lukevenable

Yes  unfortunately the problem is still occurring 

Katerina
Spotify Legend

Hey there @lukevenable - thanks for checking! We'll let the right teams know 🙂

Katerina
Spotify Legend

Hey again @lukevenable!

If possible, could you let us know some details on the devices this is happening on?

We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply, thanks 🙂

lukevenable
I'm using 4 2nd gen echo's all connected in a group. I also had the same
issue with my echo dot at my house
JoshuaNYC78
Visitor

I have this same issue. I have an 2 echoes and an echo dot. I’ve noticed that when I stream Amazon music (it selects it for me) I don’t experience this issue. So is it the echo making streaming from non-Amazon music challenging on purpose, or Spotify having a compatibility issue? 

Gilester
Visitor

I can confirm this is still a problem, it seems (in my experience, at least) to relate to playing Spotify on multi-room groups. I have 3 Echo Dots and 1 Echo (all 3rd Gen).

• If I play from Spotify on any single Echo, the playlist works correctly.
  • If I play from Spotify on a multi-room group, the playlist stops after the next track (i.e. it plays the one I start on, and one more, then stops).

Possibly related: Although I have two multi-room groups set up in Alexa's world, Spotify Connect only displays the name of the last one I streamed to. My groups are 'Downstairs' and 'Everywhere'. If 'Downstairs' is displayed in Spotify Connect and I stream to 'Everywhere', for a minute or two Spotify Connect thinks I'm streaming to 'Downstairs' (I am not), before updating itself to show I'm streaming to 'Everywhere' (correct).

My conclusion is that Spotify does not work nicely with Alexa multi-room audio, which is a big shame, and I hope they can fix it.

japandan1
Visitor

So I had a comment up here with a solution with detailed steps. The mod in here @Katerina even linked to it. When I updated it to say it stopped working, and my theory on why its happening,  my comment was marked as spam.  I really don't have to help you guys Spotify, I just liked your service and wanted to make it better. If you're going to treat contributing forum members like this, good luck on retaining customers. This problem looks like its been going on for years, and it's always "we will look into it".  I'm seriously contemplating jumping to Amazon music if this is how you guys roll. 

Guido
Spotify Legend
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey all!

We're receiving reports about the Alexa Dot speaker stopping after a few songs. If you are experiencing this, please try the following:

• Restart your router
  • Reinstall the app on your mobile device
  • Reinstall the Alexa app
  • Reset the Alexa dot (read here how)
  • Relink your Spotify account to the Alexa app. You can see here how

We've received reports from users that specifying how long you'd like to listen to music might be required using an Alexa speaker. For example "Hey Alexa, play Madonna for 10 hours". Could you let us know if this works for you?

Looking forward to your reply!

Related Issues