Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] App freezes/crashes when clicking on three-dot menu in playlist

Plan

Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

Umidigi F1

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

spotify crashes when you click the 3 dots to add to playlist, share ,view artist. etc

Changes were implemented to fix this issue for most common Android models.

Our backstage data combined with received votes and reports on this thread seem to indicate that the changes were successful for a majority of the userbase.

Unfortunately, we're aware that there're still some models with specific Android ROMs that are still experiencing the crash. At this time, we are not able to provide a fix that covers the full range of Android phones.

We'll be continuing our efforts to improve compatibility, but cannot guarantee that your specific device will be affected. As such, we'll be stopping the regular updates of this thread and are marking it as case closed.

Comments
gooselee1

I also have this problem. Not just Umidigi; also occurs on my LG G6. Combined with Spotify breaking their in-car integrations 10 months ago and refusing to fix (they eventually just closed that Community thread saying they have no timeline or updates and don't want any mroe feedback), this app/service has turned into complete trash.

Tuker

Nothing working, i try the two ways...

Petya

Hey @Tuker and @Bennirie,

Thanks for the fast replies! 

Please give us the following information:
1. Could you confirm if you have tried the steps from this article, especially step 1?
2. Also, do you use an SD card with your phone? If so, could you try removing it and reinstalling?

Thanks 🙂

Bennirie

Hey petya,

1) I've tried the clean install! Didn't work.

2) I will try this today, when I'm at home.

Thanks for your help!

Benni

coffenk

I have the same "3 button app freezing" problem on my Umidigi F1. I finally successfully installed the new Umidigi update (ending in 1638) after multiple attempts hoping it would fix the Spotify issue but it didn't.

I see a few posts around about this problem, but not a lot. I'm wondering is it every F1 or just certain one's (maybe Spotify clashing with another installed app) ? 

Spotify Lite works all ok but doesn't have all the needed features (ie Android Auto).

It's the only problem I have with my new F1 so need to decide before my 30 day Amazon return window expires.

Viennatom

Good point with the other apps clashing. Is there anybody here  who can try a fresh android install and install ONLY spotify to see if it works that way. If so, then reinstall other apps one by one until Spotify is toast.

Tuker
 Don't use SD card and run as steps again, but don't work
Petya
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks, just so you know - Spotify is informed about this issue and we're looking into it! Subscribe to get notifications about updates on the topic.

Dario8899

Same for me, android 9.0 pie. Can't use it!

Kasaanda

Plan

Premium Family

Country

United States

Device

UMIDIGI F1

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

Any time I attempt to access any menu regarding a specific song, artist, album, playlist, etc; the app hangs and eventually crashes. This issue has been reported before, but I have seen either no follow up or the provided solutions did not work.

I have restarted my phone, updated phone itself, restarted the app, cleared cache and storage, uninstalled then reinstalled the app, removed all devices, and have even done a clean installation of the app twice.

All basic troubleshooting has been done, and I have had zero results. This was not a problem until the app updated in July, leading me to believe it is a result of an update. 

I do not use third party monitoring apps, and I do not use the battery saving features whatsoever. My phone uses stock android, as well if that helps.

This happens even if Spotify is the only app I have running.