Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android Auto] "Spotify doesn't seem to be working right now" error

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

OnePlus 6T

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

Longtime user never experienced any issue for years and years of enjoying great music and recommendations. I have Android Auto on the latest Seat Infotainment (2020) and been using Spotify with no issues since December. Suddenly last week I get the "Spotify doesn't seem to br working at thr moment" screen and I've tried every thing by now. Set battery to do not optimise. Reinstalled Spotify and Android Auto. Every other app, Maps, TuneIn and Pocket Casts work without any issues. Help! Can't listen to music anymore on my long commutes, or at least not for music I'm paying a subscription for! 

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
Eni

Hi there @Raf84

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out about this. 

In this case, we suggest that you follow these specific steps on your phone to check if they make the difference:

1. Settings.
  2. Battery.
  3. Battery Optimization.
  4. Search for Spotify.
  5. Select "Don't Optimize"
  6. Go back to Android Auto app from mobile, click on Music icon and check if Spotify is showing. 

Let us know how it goes 🙂

Raf84

Thanks for the reply but as said in my previous post I tried the battery setting. I reinstalled both apps. Everything works fine on Android Auto EXCEPT Spotify. I even tried with Tidal (urgh) and it worked fine. Seeing I use Spotify the most while commuting this is becoming a deal breaker for me 😞

Eni

Hey @Raf84,

Thanks for getting back in touch and for letting us know that. 

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a regular one?

If this doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you unpair and re-pair your phone with your car. 

On another note, would you mind trying with a different phone to check if that makes the difference?

Keep us in the loop 🙂

Raf84

Okay so I did this before my drive to, it worked! But now it just gets disappointing, on the drive back I plug it it and BAM, that dreaded dull screen of "Spotify doesn't seem to be working at the moment" I mean honestly who thought of these words? At the moment? It's been a full week!  Again, TuneIN, Pocket Casts, everything works, why did Spotify after months of working fine just stop? I haven't done anything new or changed any settings. So my next steps are doing the unpairing with my car and hoping for the best. As much as I am loyal to Spotify after about 8 years of brand loyalty, I have not been able to enjoy my own music for over a week now and even in this digital world of fast-paced problem-solving I don't need to rush it for a fix, but I'm literally now just paying for a useless service since most of my listening happens in the car. And if the unpairing doesn't work, and I'd never thought I'd say this, I'll have to start a free trial with Tidal... and I thought 2020 was bad.

Mihail

Hey @Raf84,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

If a clean reinstall and unpairing the devices solved the issue, albeit temporarily, it would seem that something on that specific device is interfering with the apps connectivity. In order to test this, could try connecting to Android Auto with another device and letting us know if the issue comes up there as well?

Keep us posted, we'd love to investigate this further. 

Raf84

Fair point @Mihail, but I can see where this is headed, I'll have to find another device, the average person just uses one smartphone, so I'll have to see  finding another Android device with Spotify, not a hassle at all. Secondly, if it works on that other device I can probably predict that then you'll say well now you must do a clean clean wipe of your smartphone, install Spotify, see if it works, if it does then through time find out which app causes interference, correct? Also, no hassle at all right?

One can also word it this way, if Tidal and all other apps work on my device, then Spotify obviously fails at making their app work well with interference unlike Pocket Casts, Google Maps, TuneIn Radio, etc etc... so not much of a great selling point either, correct?

Mihail

Hey @Raf84,

Thanks posting.

We want to point out that by going through these troubleshooting steps we can narrow down the possible root causes of the issues you're having. We're aware that the behavior you're experiencing might cause some frustration and our aim is to remedy the situation as soon as possible. Keep in mind that if even if the suggestions don't work for you, they are visible for other users who might be in the same situation that can try them out. That way we can gather data on what works in which cases and report it to the relevant team who can then take a closer look.

Thanks for understanding.  We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Raf84
I am aware and I appreciate it but it's just basically the quality of a
product going down and then all these hassles going up. You know how I
know? Because before this **bleep** started Spotify load screen on auto was a
scroll down list. And then since the one little peak I got after the update
where then "playlists, my library, etc, went to the top in like a square
pattern, that's when it stopped working. I've literally seen this screen 2x
in one week and the "seems not to be working at the moment" screen all the
day. And I'm also aware I'm just one shmo of the millions of daily shmo's
who use your product, and so hey if the new update sucks *** then whatever
it still works for 97%. So for I am also hoping that my frustrations
represent thr 3%.

Fair enough and I know you're trying to help but it's still my money being
paid for a broken update. I'll report back to see if unpairing then pairing
worked. Fun fact listening to podcasts on Pocket Casts and radio on TuneIn
radio for over a week now, not ONE hitch. And they are for free...
CarlosE

Hey @Raf84,

We're sorry to hear you feel that way.

We're asking for all this info and troubleshooting steps to get to the bottom of this and help you get the solution you need. We'd like to confirm if you were able to try our last suggestion and if it made any difference.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Raf84
Hi guys,

Sorry for my frustrations and I've tested it once again. On day 1 it worked
fine, then on the drive back the same error/glitch showed up. I had to
restart my phone and run Spotify then connect it to Android Auto while
Spotify is running on the phone. I asked around and a friend with a Xiaomi
Redmi Note 9 Pro has the same issue with the "not working at the moment"
but this fix seemed to work for her. So that was day 1. Then on day 2,
today, I plug in my phone and yet again, as right as rain, the error
message. So I restarted my phone, ran Spotify but this time it didn't seem
to work. Then when I restarted the infotainment it worked. This all is a