Help Wizard

Step 1


[Android][Bluetooth] Metadata is not transmitted

Thread: -


When using Spotify on an Android device to play over bluetooth, some third-party devices don't receive metada (track, artist, album info, etc. is not displayed on third-party device)


Additional information:

We're collecting information about which specific devices are not receiving metadata. If your device is affected, please reply and provide as much information as possible.

Some useful information (but feel free to add more, if you feel it might be relevant)

  • brand
  • model
  • Android version
  • Spotify (for Android) version

If you have this problem, remember to click the "Me too" button.



When posting in this forum please make sure you have read these guidelines.


Its happened all of a sudden for me too.

Im using a oneplus 6 and a VW polo from 2014.

Other apps have no issue, my (work) iphone also works fine with spotify and bluetooth.


Reading this thread is disheartening to say the least.. seems like im stuck till i get another phone or stop using spotify



Same issue for me. I have a BMW 120D (F21) and a OnePlus 7T Pro


I've been using the same setup for about three years now:

  • OnePlus 6T (about 3 years old now)
  • 2017 Volvo V40
  • Spotify version:

Never an issue and suddenly this bug happened, seemingly out of nowhere. Tried the following:

  • deleting Spotify cache from system settings
  • deleting Spotify cache from within the app itself
  • deleting entire phone cache via recovery mode
  • deleting all Spotify app data from system settings
  • removing Spotify completely and re-installing

Sadly no success. I've also tested this on a Hyundai i20 (replacement car while mine was in for maintenance), and the problem occurs there as well: first track shows proper data, after that it just keeps showing the first track's data. Sad to see this problem dates all the way back to 2013 and no indication of a fix in sight..


Just about died when I saw the creation date of this thread. Same issue reporting in: song info display is stuck at whichever song was playing in the first 30 seconds or so of playback, regardless of input on either device. With Spotify remaining open on my phone, power cycling the head unit results in it displaying the same song name as pre-poweroff.


Receiver: JVC KD-R980BTS (f/w ver. 1.19)

Phone: OnePlus 6 A6003 (OxygenOS 10.3.9)


Spotify, I am genuinely skeptical that my monthly subscription payment is being put to good use, by the looks of this thread. Please, probe me wrong and fix this.


After more than seven years (!!) I conclude that Spotify is never going to fix this issue! Other useful suggestions are ignored for even much longer 😞 I wonder how Spotify could become the biggest music streaming service with this kind of horrible customer support. Spotify does not listen to what customers want or which problems they have.


Lets give Spotify customer support some multiple choice answers they can post. Maybe they are just confused and have not figured out what to type in this text box for the past 7 years. So here goes (anyone can feel free to add to this list):

- Our engineers are looking into the issue, please follow this space for updates.

- This issue has been flagged with our product team, however a fix has not been approved to be included in our development roadmap.

- We require more information to investigate this issue. Kindly provide the following information.....



May 2021 - same issue, two different cars, screen does not change after first track. Wasn't a problem until February this year.


How can Spotify claim it need seven years to fix this issue?


Connection from 2014 BMW 328 to OnePlus 6t

Android 10 - Oxygen OS 10.3.12



Sometimes it works for the first song. Sometimes not at all. Very sporadic.


I can't help noticing that a lot of people with this issue are driving a Mazda and have a OnePlus phone (as do I).

In fact I have two Mazda's one fairly new, one older, and the same problem in each, so its clearly nothing to do with the car's firmware needing an update.

What's odd is this was not previously an issue, then it was, then earlier this year the issue suddenly stopped (in both cars) and has since recurred.


I have a Hyundai with a aftermarket bluetooth receiver and this same issue started with the last update. It doesn't have anything to do with the car make or the phone model (being it an Android, it seems). Other apps work just fine. The problem is with Spotify and their functionality-breaking updates.

The logical step was to revert the app to earlier versions and figure out what was changed to break the metadata functionality. But since they give no changelog on the updates, I don't think that even they know what they change. It's very loosely controlled - if it's controlled at all.

I had to install an older version of spotify via an apk that I download from a trusted website, and stop auto updates on the Play Store. So far, version seems to be working flawlessly, but it's a 3-month outdated version.