Announcements

[Android] Galaxy Watch's Spotify App Causes Control Glitches in the Android Phone App

Plan

Premium

Devices

Galaxy Watch (SM-R810) & Galaxy Note 10+

Operating System

Tizen 4.0.0.7 & Android 10/OneUI 2.5

My Question or Issue

Having the Spotify App installed on my Galaxy watch and using it as a remote to play tracks from my phone causes a couple of strange glitches in the phone app.  

The "now playing" track on the phone will be stuck on the first song played in that session (or whichever track was playing when the glitch decides to happen).   This also causes issues when trying to jump to a specific time in the track, because the time slider also does not display correctly.

The play/pause button, while still functioning correctly, will only display the "play" graphic, regardless of if the track is playing or not.

Spotify's persistent notification will also remain stuck on the same track, and the skip buttons do not always continue to work after this glitch happens.

Lastly, this glitch, after being triggered, causes the phone to not see Spotify as the currently playing media service, so apps such as YouTube will layer their audio on top of the currently playing Spotify track.  Normally, the phone would understand that Spotify is playing and pause it, but that does not occur when the glitch is present.

Note: this glitch did not happen with my Gear S3 which was used with the same phone, nor did it happen with any previous Galaxy phones (S7 Edge, Note 7, Note 8).  It started happening immediately after upgrading to the Galaxy Watch from the Gear S3.  OS updates on both the watch and phone have not changed this issue.  The Spotify app has gone through multiple updates and the issue has not been resolved, nor changed in nature.

Force closing the app or restarting the phone will temporarily fix this, and it will normally reappear after a few tracks have played.  Might be related to changing the playlist from the watch, but haven't been able to isolate a specific action that causes it.

Uninstalling the app removes this glitch completely. I did not experience it at all after removing it.  Tried re-adding it a month later, and it's back.  Definitely related to the watch app.

Really hoping for a fix, as the experience for me is not the same without the ability to control tracks from the watch.  Might have to move to a different platform if this can't be figured out.

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate you sharing your info, we've passed them on with the right teams to look into.

If you're also having troubles with the Android app on your device when using your watch, make sure to add your +VOTE to this thread and leave the following details in a comment:

• Device + OS version
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Tizen version and app version on the watch
  • Is the behavior always the same?
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried so far and their results
  • Does the issue occur when connecting to another device via Bluetooth?
  • Any screenrecordings of the issue would be also super helpful - just make sure that there's no private/sensitive info displayed.
We'll keep you updated here. Thanks!
Comments
Zawis

Sure thing

• Device model: SM-N950F
  • Watch model: SM-R810
  • Android version: 9
  • Tizen version: 4.0.0.7
  • Spotify version: 8.5.94.420 (however this issue persist through other versions of the app like the 8.5.78.354 as I have tried downgrading, I have upgraded the app through aptoide and based on their logs its yesterdays update and the play store still has the 8.5.93 update at the moment)
  • Watch spotify version: 2.4.12 (latest I can download on the galaxy store)

I have done a few tests to see what causes the issue as for the first hour or so the app worked almost flawlessly (other than the connect issue where the watch would show BT disconnected after killing the app, but expected and easily connected again but requires you to open the app on your phone first and then exit the app on the watch and enter again (this may take a few times)). They go in order I have tried them.

Clearing all apps from recent:

• Displays BT disconnected
  • Player still works just fine after reconnection

Connect to a bluetooth speaker while playing:

• Player still works
  • Still connected and continues playing on the speaker 

Kill the galaxy wearable that runs in the background:

• No change

Changing song by going into playing que:

• No change

Disconnecting bluetooth device while playing:

• No change, simply pauses the music like intended

Turn on goodnight mode while playing:

• No change

Turn off spotify for an hour or so:

• Connected
  • Playback broken (the progress bar doesn't move, the control notification doesn't appear aka phone doesn't see spotify playing the song, the play button just shows "play" until clicked which changes the button to "pause" and after clicking the pause button you are able to pause music. If we move on to look at the watch, the watch is stuck on the last song before the bug, in my case the last played song after turning off spotify, where after pressing the play button it gets stuck on the play button (doesn't change to pause like on the phone app) however the "next song", "previous song" still work but the image and slider still stays at the last song before the bug)

During this test I have continued to use my phone as I would normally. At first I just left it be and when got back it still worked fine (even better tbh as it opened spotify by itself which it usually just displays BT disconnected and I have to do it manually) afterwards I have went outside and used the camera. More specifically I recorded videos, slow mo and super slow mo of my pup. What I believe happen is that the bug appears as more time passes. The same happened when I first got the watch. Everything worked flawlessly until a day or so later.

This never happened when I didn't have a watch so this HAS to be somewhat related to the watch or the watch app NOT the phone app (or connectivity between the two, maybe the watch app send wrong data or something goes wrong when they try to communicate creating said bug that influences BOTH apps?). 

From my observation theres no obvious cause for this bug other than having spotify installed on your phone for a certain amount of time after using your watch to control it.

Hope this info can help.

postrockmelee
Visitor

I provided this information on the other thread for this issue, which @Ver closed prematurely:

* https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Android-Now-playing-view-not-updating/idc-p/5133956

Phone specs:

Galaxy S20 ultra 5g

Spotify version: 8.5.93.445

Android version: 11

Watch specs:

Galaxy Watch 3 45mm

Spotify version: 2.5.39 

Tyzen version: 5.5.0.1

vish_handa

Device model: SM-G780F

Watch model: SM-R500

Android version: 11

Tizen version: 4.0.0.7

Spotify version: 8.5.93.445

Watch Spotify version: 2.4.12

This issue occurs mostly when I am streaming on my laptop and I change the songs with my watch. Then hours later I will try play music on my phone and the album cover and sing info is completely Incorrect to what is playing and they are stuck in a loop, ie if I click shuffle the same wrong album and song info is there. 

I also get the issue of the controls not appearing in the notifications. 

This is a completely new issue after receiving the watch. Never experienced in the 4 years prior to linking watch 

The only fix I have found is to fully restart the phone, strangely u installing and reinstalling didnt fix the issue unless a restart was also implemented. 

I've noticed that the watch will open a second instance of Spotify in the phone that brings up "Spotify connection" and it works fine as a remote the first time I use it but then the next time it is broken. 

Sebje00
Gig Goer

I have the same issue. 

• Device + OS version
    Samsung Galaxy S9 on android 10
  • Exact Spotify version
    Phone 8.5.93.445 and watch 2.4.12
    Watch SM-R800 with Tizen 4.0.0.7
    Yes
    Somtimes it takes some time but it always happens. usually within a few hours (i don't know what triggers it)
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried so far
    clean install on both phone and watch. on wifi and 4G 
  • Does the issue occur when connecting to another device via Bluetooth
    Yes, i only listen in car via bluetooth or on bluetooth headset.
Katerina
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate you sharing your info, we've passed them on with the right teams to look into.

If you're also having troubles with the Android app on your device when using your watch, make sure to add your +VOTE to this thread and leave the following details in a comment:

• Device + OS version
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried so far and their results
  • Does the issue occur when connecting to another device via Bluetooth?
  • Any screenrecordings of the issue would be also super helpful - just make sure that there's no private/sensitive info displayed.
We'll keep you updated here. Thanks!
danielhannigan
Visitor

Hi 

Also having the same issues outlined above

Samsung a70 

Galaxy 46mm watch 

Spotify premium

Have tried fresh installs but problems reoccur

Clem
  • Device + OS version
    Samsung Galaxy Note 20 SM-N981B/DS on Android 11
  • Exact Spotify version
    Phone 8.5.94.839 and watch 2.5.39
    Watch SM-R840 with Tizen 5.5.0.1
    Yes
    Ive only had it a few times, but it seems pretty random
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried so far
    Clean install (including wipe data and cache) on phone. This is a fresh watch
  • Does the issue occur when connecting to another device via Bluetooth
    I only listen via bluetooth really.

I am 90% sure I have had this problem with my old Ionic in the past too so I am not certain its galaxy watch specific ...
Clem

I have found a temporary quick fix for this.

If you go into the Settings -> Apps and find spotify and press "Force Stop" it clears the lockup for next time you start Spotify. This works whereas swiping the app off the task switcher does not.

The lockup for me seems to be time based, I played with it last night and it was working (after a force stop) but this morning the notification is still there but the "now playing" has locked up. Its almost like the bluetooth connection is killed by the phone or times out and Spotify doesnt realise so it is not being re-initialised properly.

Also to re-iterate, I am very certain I have seen this issue with spotify and bluetooth apps before (possibly the Fitbit Ionic I mentioned before, possibly my car stereo but definitely not the Galaxy Watch as I only got that yesterday) so I would be wary of pinning it as a Samsung problem.

Clem

Another information update:

The problem seems to reside somewhere in the backend rather than just the connection between phone and watch. I have just had the problem occur on my phone whilst listening to music on my PC. It rendered my play/pause button on my mouse non-functional! Once I force closed the app on the phone, my mouse button is working again.

There is something fundamentally wrong with the spotify system and its really hurting the experience I pay for. The bug seems to be highlighted by the Galaxy Watch and if it just affected that device it would be OKish ... the fact it has now affected my experience listening to music on a PC is inexcusable.

Batman9420
Visitor

I have the exact same isse with my samsung s20 ultra and galaxy watch 3 titanium model. Everything is updated with the newest updates.

I've only had my watch for 2 days, therefore i centrum say what causes it and whether or not it is random. 

I Hope to see a fix on this, as it is one of the primary reasons i bought this setup.

Kind regards

Rasmus