Premium

Country

Portugal

Device

Samsung Galaxy S10

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

I have been using Spotify for many years now on a lot of different devices including many Android phones. 

I have been noticing a huge battery drain whenever I was outside commuting. I travel a lot and I'm streaming on Spotify most of the time so I started monitoring it's battery consumption. And it's a lot higher than expected. For example, today I streamed for about 2, hours and it used 22% of my battery. This is recurrent and not isolated. 

I'm not sure if I can share links for Reddit here, but you can easily find threads about this exact issue on the Galaxy S10 subreddit. Just search for 'spotify' and you'll easily find them. And it's almost always around 10% battery usage per hour. This is a lot when compared to other phones and not acceptable. 

Is the Spotify team aware of this issue? Is any fix being worked on? 

PS: Please look at @R_airhorns post in the comments and take a look at his consumption (added his screenshot to OP). This cannot be normal and it's killing our batteries. It's also frustrating that the Spotify Team does not say a thing about it. 

Screenshot_20190402-215553_Device care.jpg
Screenshot_20190405-074134_Device care.jpg

Hey folks,

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.

We're passing on your info to the right team so that they can look into this further.

We'll let you know in this thread as soon as we have any updates.

Thanks!

Comments
Djennis
Casual Listener

Yep, same here with the Galaxy S10e. Seems to be even worse for the Exynos chip models. Please fix this Spotify!

playnasc

Same here on my snapdragon S10. I'm losing around 10% per hour if I have spotify playing in the background. 

sergiomirandan

Same issue here with S10+ exynos variant.

I doesn't matter if I'm playing streaming or a downloaded playlist.

R_airhorns

S10 exynos.

I'm struggling with background battery usage. Every single day, regardless of whether I've opened Spotify, Spotify drains approx 10-15% in the background. It also runs nearly non stop in the background for the entirety of the whole day, even if I force stop it it. 

I allowed all permissions, have tried letting my phone sleep it (and not), tried a full reinstall... I'm super close to cancelling the service altogether 🙁

Screenshot shows the background usage over the course of a week. I've only used Spotify actively for half an hour this week, and background is still worse than ever.

Screenshot_20190405-074134_Device care.jpg
Mglienke
Regular

Having issues too. Lots of background drain

Jelle86
Casual Listener

I have exactly the same issue. Is there any fix available??

Screenshot_20190415-221549_Device care.jpg
bastttti

On my previous phone (iphone 5s), spotify's bettery consumption was minimal, considering that I use spotify copiously. Now on my s10e exynos it seems odd that spotify consumes more battery than my gaming apps.

mitkovche

Didn't realize how bad it drains until I changed to week view. **bleep**, hope they fix it ASAP. S10 exynos, Germany 

Drzhalw

I've got horrible battery drain as well on my s10+ exynos.

peakhead

I have this same issue with the Snapdragon variant. Is Spotify even looking into this? Spotify now uses more battery than my screen.