Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Now playing bar not updating

Hey everyone,

We're receiving reports from users that Now playing bar is not updating. 

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up to speed here, so make sure to subscribe to this thread!

Hey there folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
wveb

Plan

Premium

Country

The Netherlands

Device

OnePlus 6T

Operating System

Android 10 and OxygenOS 10.3.11

My Question or Issue

I have a recurring issue where my 'currently playing' screen freezes after having listened to podcasts for around 30 minutes. No matter what song I play afterwards, the album art of the podcast still shows, as does the length of the podcast instead of the length of the song.

Furthermore, the 'skip 15 seconds ahead' feature also shows, but now has the functionality of the 'go to next song' feature. If I play a song or podcast after the player has frozen, the audio will completely stop after 10 minutes or so, requiring me to stop and start the song or podcast again. This issue is game breaking.

I have already taken the following steps, all of which unsuccessful.

- Clearing the cache through the App's settings.

- Clearing both the storage and cache through the App's settings.

- Clearing the storage and the cache through the App's settings, deleting the app, then powering off my phone, waiting 5 minutes and reinstalling the app.

- Listen to podcasts through my OnePlus Bullets, the phone's speakers as well as my Sony WH-1000XM3. The issue keeps reappearing.

- Listened to 3 different podcasts to see if this causes the issue. It kept reappearing.

The only thing that works temporarily is to restart my OnePlus 6T. Then after one podcast, the problem is back.

tallistroan

I can confirm this issue, also on my One Plus 6T with the same system specs.
It happens for me with the last two or three versions of the Spotify App and also partially when only listening to music.
When I listen to music for while, the timeslider acts crazy, e.g. the timestamps are not updated anymore and if you move it "too" far to the left or right, it skips somehow to the next or previous song.

At least for me, also deleting all app data in the settings helps to make the window appear again.

wveb

All arrows are pointing to these issues occurring on OnePlus devices. In other words, devices who are also running OxygenOS next to Android. See the linked Reddit post below in which a lot of people with OnePlus devices are experiencing this issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/npo7c5/anyone_else_having_multitudes_of_issues_with/

Eni

Hi folks! 

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

@wveb, you mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one? On another note, could you check if the issue persists using a different internet connection? Lastly, would you mind trying on a different phone to check if the issue persists there?

@tallistroan, we suggest that you log out > close the app completely and then log back in > repeat this process twice. We know this sounds odd, but it's how the app forces a cache refresh. Additionally, could you check if the OS of your phone has any pending updates?

Keep us posted.

longcreepyhug
I am also having this problem using a Google Pixel 4 running AndroidOS v11. I saw a post below that this issue seems to be for users with OxygenOS/PlusOne devices, but I cannot find any evidence of that operating system on my phone.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled, logged out and in multiple times, restarted my device multiple times.
I am about to cancel my premium subscription because the app is basically unusable at this point.
Eni

Hey @longcreepyhug

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

Would you mind letting us know if the issue persists using a different phone? 

Also, could you send us a screen recording where we can see the issue happening?

We'll be on the lookout.

starmet

I'm experiencing a similar problem with Android 10. In addition to the app being "stuck" on a single podcast despite a different one playing, the pause/play buttons are also stuck on "play" so it's impossible to pause content.

Eni

Hey there @starmet

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

Just to confirm, is this only happening with podcasts or when you're listening to music as well?

Additionally, could you let us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

starmet
Thanks for the response! To answer your questions:
1) My app has been stuck on a single podcast for a while, so I haven't seen
the "stuck" problem on songs yet. However the second problem also happens
for songs (can't pause, won't replace stuck podcast)
2) Spotify version 8.6.30.889, Android 10, Oxygen OS 10.3.11, ONEPLUS A6003
Ver
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.

We can confirm the right team is aware of this and they're looking into it.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to click +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread to be notified of any developments.

Thanks! We’ll keep you posted and let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.