Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Now playing bar not updating

Hey everyone,

We're receiving reports from users that Now playing bar is not updating. 

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up to speed here, so make sure to subscribe to this thread!

Hey there folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
wveb

@EniJust getting back to you on the following questions: 

'@wveb, you mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one? On another note, could you check if the issue persists using a different internet connection? Lastly, would you mind trying on a different phone to check if the issue persists there?'

- Performed a clean reinstall, including the removal of storage and cache, switching the device off, waiting and then reinstalling.

- Issue persists on WiFi and 4G

- I've tested it on an iPad and a Windows Desktop client. The issue did not occur there.

Great to hear a team is looking into this. It's an annoying issue and I hope we can get to the bottom of this soon.

Mosmith1

I'm also having this issue. The 'now playing' was stuck on the same podcast for a day before I reinstalled the app. It got stuck again shortly after. And the audio randomly cuts out and I have to go back into the app to restart the music. However, since the now playing bar is frozen, I have to go back through and search for the music to restart or just pick a different playlist. The app is basically non-functional. I've tried the troubleshooting steps and nothing is working. 

Mosmith1

Also, another issue is that Spotify audio no longer stops and starts if audio starts in another app, e.g. YouTube. The two audios just play at the same time, so I have to close out of Spotify Everytime I need to use audio in another app bc the now playing bar is frozen and I can't use the pause button. 

dizzyberry

I recently updated to a Samsung A23 from a Samsung S9, at first it was just the A23 that was doing exactly what the first comment of this thread says:

- 'currently playing' screen freezes after having listened to podcasts for around 30 minutes. No matter what song I play afterwards, the album art of the podcast still shows, as does the length of the podcast instead of the length of the song.

- If I play a song or podcast after the player has frozen, the audio will completely stop after 10 minutes or so, requiring me to stop and start the song or podcast again. 
Now it's my old S9 also.

I have tried to subscribe to this thread on both phones, but was unable, so now I am on my laptop trying to listen to my usual music and movies and hoping this comment will automatically subscribe me to the updates of this thread.

I am a dance teacher and use Spotify for work, so this issue is really terrible and effecting my work.

Please fix this issue soon.

Regards 

Eva131

Phone: up to date Samsung Galaxy A51

Spotify: Premium

problem occuring for: a week as of posting this.

I'm having the same issue as everyone else with the 'listening now' screen being frozen for long periods of time on my samsung galaxy A51. I have login in and out multiple times, uninstalled and installed the app again which worked for a day before the issue happened again. I also have the same account on my laptop and it's not having that issue.

I noticed it happens when I listen to podcasts and it's stuck on the same screen for long periods of time and no matter what I do it stays there. I've had this problem for a week now and was wondering if there is anything I can do. Music is my lively hood so I rely on it.

Kind Regards

larsch77

Sounds like the same issue I am experiencing. I listen to podcast in car in the morning, then music on my PC at work. When I return to the car after work, Spotify continues playing the music, but shows the podcast on the Phone and on the car display. When I exit the car, Spotify keeps playing music on the Phone speaker itself, while still displaying the podcast title and image. The player shows the play button as if stopped or paused, while playing the music. I can't stop the music inside the App, only by closing the Spotify App the by swiping it away from the Android task manager. If I return to the car, it plays music again, but doesn't show the player controls on the notification screen at all.

Phone: Nokia 6.1, Car: VW Golf Mk7

claycombal

I'm dealing with the same thing as the rest. Currently playing does not update. Gets stuck on one song/podcast. Controls rendered inoperable. Spotify doesn't appear in the notification bar or lock screen. Will not pause after disconnecting from Bluetooth or after switching to another app, like YouTube. Only way to control Spotify is by closing the app entirely, but this doesn't fix the problem. Have tried all sort of uninstalls, following normal troubleshooting advice.  After a reinstall, problem is gone briefly, but always comes back quickly. Incredibly frustrating, and am considering switching music apps entirely. Don't want to, but will. OnePlus 6T, Android 10

Courtneyduhan

I am having the exact same situation as well as the play/pause button loosing functionality both in app and on widgets. I'm on a galaxy s10plus and running the latest version of Android. 

tallistroan

@EniThanks for your response, but the double logout didn't fix the issue for me. And my phone's OS is on the newest available version, Android 10 and OxygenOS 10.3.11

Wackyraeces

I also have this issue (now playing bar stuck on a song/podcast, random stoppages, times clearly wrong - currently 220 minutes into a 3 minute song), I have a fully updated OnePlus 6T. It is especially bad when casting to Google home devices, but has also just cut out audio (not crashed) around 7 times today.