Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Now playing bar not updating

Hey everyone,

We're receiving reports from users that Now playing bar is not updating. 

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up to speed here, so make sure to subscribe to this thread!

Hey there folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
ChrisL8

My Spotify appears to be working again. What I think fixed it was finding in my Samsung phone where to turn OFF the setting to optimize battery use for Spotify.

This seems to be either a new thing or something that has new features, because I have found a couple of other apps that also benefit from disabling this.

I don't know if this is an Android thing or a Samsung thing, but it appears to automatically add applications to the list to "optimize battery usage".

Daveljones

Same with my note 20 ultra. Constantly having to force stop the app. Also affects android auto. 

Pjmac123

I have this issue too on a Samsung Galaxy S10 on Android 11 with One UI 3.1 all with latest updates.  I noticed the time this started coincided with when I connected my new Galaxy Smart Watch 3 with my phone, which incidentally has the Spotify app installed on it too.

The 'playing now' overlay as well as play/pause controls don't update. So I can use the rest of the app, choose a playlist and click on a song to play it, and it plays, however I can then neither 'see it playing' nor pause or skip the track - I have no control over it and all I can do is choose another track to play.

This has been happening for about 2 or 3 weeks.

The only thing that fixed it is to clear cache/Storage and restart the app. However after a few tracks of preoperative usage it breaks again.

As a premium paying customer I don't feel I'm getting value for money while this problem is occurring.

Please fix it soon. Happy to help if I can.

Eni
Status changed to: Under investigation
Hey folks,

We can see this issue is already fixed for some users.

If you're still having this issue, could you make sure your Spotify app is running the latest version?

If after updating the issue persists, let us know by adding your +VOTE and the following details in a comment below:

• Your device and its OS version
  • Exact Spotify version

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies, thanks! 
damminator3

I have the same issue as pjmac123 and it coincided also when I paired my galaxy watch 3 to the phone. The day before with the galaxy active 2 I had 0 issues. This has been going on for a few weeks now. I can also confirm if I delete the app and re login the issue is corrected for a few until it breaks again. This is extremely frustrating since it worked flawlessly a couple of weeks ago. 

Samsung note 20 ultra

Android 11- one ui version 3.1

Spotify version- 8.6.40.929

modcar

I too have this issue after pairing my new galaxy watch 3. 

cstafford2009

+VOTE Google Pixel 2XL, having so many issues with the new app and this one of them. So frustrating. The app is basically unusable now. 

polite_society

I am frequently having to force close and open the app to get it working, otherwise it loses the currently playing song, even if I only stop playback for a few minutes. 

App often takes a very long time to become usable. Frequently says it is offline, even when all other apps and network access continues to work normally. 

Using Android 10 on Oneplus 5. 

Have tried turning off all power management as someone else suggested and will report back later.  

Novy

Hey folks, 

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community. 

If you're still experiencing this issue, let us know the exact Spotify version you're currently running so we can continue investigating.

We'll be on the lookout.

taikopug

Android 11

Spotify 8.6.44.851